The finest in trend trading

I like that!! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by [B]green as grass[/B] >
Well yes, Iā€™m n Bulgaria in the summers & they LOVE their barking dogs, whether in the village or the citiesā€¦ Iā€™ve resorted to sleeping with an Ipod with the volume turned up, seems to do the trick

Wow!!
What can I say!!? :eek:

Unfortunately, I cannot do what you do - I need total peace to sleep. :smiley:

[B]DodgeV83 [/B]is again proving that he is a giant, not only on this thread, but I think probably the best computer expert on this whole forum!! :wink: :wink: :cool:

Great to know that!!

Your posts are always crisp and clean - easy to read. :slight_smile:
This shows that you operate with a clear and uncluttered mind!! :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about your recent troubles in the new place.

Sometimes it takes more than a few nights somewhere to realize that the green grass is really just AstroTurf.

I do not understand the term ā€œAstroTurfā€ but I think I understand what you are saying. :smiley:
Yep - I am going to hide back in the city - I can live with the constant sound of traffic, but not with the sound of the howling of barking dogs!!

About your audio issues, if that tone arm canā€™t be replaced, the mat, and a nice cartridge will do wonders.

I may have to take your advice on the cartridge and mat - the tone arm is a plastic contraption and will probably break upon removal together with breaking the rest of the turntable as well.

The sound of vinyl will never ever be truly replaced.
Something silky about it, that digital technology just hasnā€™t found a way to replicate.

Yes, I have only just learnt about that!!
Vinyl is more like a true sine wave, whereas digital sampling produces an approximation with square waves in the shape of a sine wave!! :smiley:

However, when you house move you find out just how much junk you have accumulated!!
That is not a good thing in my old age, and I am in the process of downsizing.
Even my extensive library will go to PDF on computer and the computer will be backed up with grandfather, father, son backup CD.

I am still searching for a method to beat the retracements after hitting TP1 in the DNA method.

So far my search and testing has failed to find anything that is consistent and useful.
The Starc bands and Parabolic Sar do not work.

The idea of having the close on the other side of the mid BB before moving the stoploss also breaks down.

I am still looking at this.
I may yet find it in the future, but right now any method I work out interferes with the flow of the price action.

DodgeV83,

Thanks for being such a great coder and sharing your work. I love the way your EAā€™s work and it saves so much time.

I think I found my problem with the EA and this might help some of the other people here. When I put a buy stop line on the chart and itā€™s above the price and the price reaches the line it would just act like it entered the trade but would not place an order. If I put this same buy stop line under the price it will signal a buy right away and place the order correctly. This seems to only happen on live demo trading but if you are in the strategy tester it seems to work either way. This is also true in reverse for the sell stop line.

I will work out most of my issues that I have with your EA and if I need anything else I will get in touch with you by the chat room since I canā€™t send out PMā€™s yet.

Once again thanks DodgeV83 for the great EAā€™s. Keep up the great work and these are really time savers.

Thanks,

After 2 weeks, Iā€™ve managed to plow through the entire thread, but it has been a fruitful journey! My heartfelt gratitude to the various individuals whose selfless sharing and great knowledge have benefited the communityā€¦

Tymen for sharing with everyone his methods, and for his patience and great way of imparting his knowledge.
DodgeV83 and Ironheart for coding the EAs and backtesting.
Merchantprince for setting up the live chat room and website.
Hordane for compiling the excellent PDF that has made finding information so much easier.

You guys have never ceased to amaze me throughout the thread! My only regret was not being able to join the thread right from the start.

Now here come the questions. Apologies if these have been addressed before, but I do hope someone could enlighten me. Based on my understanding of Tymenā€™s BB DNA system, Iā€™ve attempted a demo trade today.

Sorry about the image if the details are not clear. Let me detail the trade:

1. This is the USDCAD H1 chart.
  2. I noted after the black vertical line, the opp BB contracted and I drew my CBL line using only 1 candle (the red candle after the black vertical line) and cut it in 2 since it was pretty long. I should have used the 2 candle method since the previous candle was smaller than the extreme candle, but its low was lower than that of the extreme candle, and Tymen did mention we never lower the CBL when shorting. CBL entry was thus set at 1.0447.
  3. Stop loss was set at the high of the extreme candle and 2 lots were entered after the doji candle has closed. TP1 was set within the region of the midline BB and TP2 was set at the opp BB.
  4. Entry was at 1.0429, exited 1 lot at TP1 (1.0410) for 19 pips. Waited abit before moving my SL to TP1, price action retraced and hit SL. Total profit = 19 x 2 = 38 pips.

Now Iā€™m not too sure if I executed the trade correctly (was wondering if I should have moved the SL of the 2nd lot to entry instead of TP1, but decided against it because if the SL at entry was hit, my profits would only be = 19 pips). I welcome feedback from anyone, Tymen especially.

On a separate note, Iā€™m new to the MT4 trading platform (not the software though; was using IgMarkets in the past for demo however) and seem to be having problems executing my trades correctly. As per above, I had entered a sell order for 2 lots (Iā€™m assuming in the MT platform, Volume = No. of lots) of USDCAD at 1.0429 with SL but not TP keyed in. Subsequently as price action was moving closer to TP1, I then entered a pending Buy Limit order for 1 lot at 1.0410. When the set price was hit, my order was triggered and disappeared. But my original sell order still registered 2 lots shorted at 1.0447. This left me rather confused, and I was hoping someone could explain to me if I had done something wrong.

Once again, thanks Tymen and everyone who have contributed to this great thread! I look forward to learning more about the macro method with great anticipation! :smiley:

Sounds like you opened a new trade, instead of modifying an open one.
With MT4, you have to modify an existing order to set a limit. It doesnā€™t cancel out your open trades with a limit set in the opposite direction. Since some brokers allow hedging on the same pair, that can lead to confusion.

At the bottom of your MT4 window, you will see some tabs. Click the ā€˜Tradeā€™ tab. Open that up, and you will see your open trades.
If you canā€™t drag the bottom window of the trade screen up at the top of the ā€˜Tradeā€™ window to see more of it.

Once you can see your open trades, highlight the trade you wish to modify, by left click until it turns blue, then right click it.

It will open up a tick chart where you can then set your limits for that trade.

You have to do that individually for each open position.

Some smart people here will probably know a better way, but thatā€™s the only way I know of;)

Cheers!

Looks like a good setup, I would suggest that the Doji extreme be cut in half since it was very close/almost touching the mid BB.

Thanks for your inputs Master Tang and Hordane!

About my CBL and the extreme candle that was used to draw it, my chart may not have been clear enough. To clarify, my CBL was not constructed with a doji. The thin black vertical line I drew effectively covered the high and low of the doji candle that was just underneath it, but in actual fact the high of this doji was lower than that of the next red candle. Thus I used the red candle after the vertical line as my extreme candle, cut it in half since its pretty near the mid BB and got my CBL.

This was a successful trade in that I managed to hit TP1 but not TP2. Iā€™ll post another demo trade tomorrow detailing a failed trade for everyoneā€™s comments (its 5am here!). :slight_smile:

Thank you for joining the thread, [B]TimberWolfMk2[/B]. :slight_smile:

The concepts in this thread take time to mature with, so do not be surprised if you find your initial efforts going astray!! :cool:

[B]Please take time to join us in the free chatroom.[/B]
First time users need to set a user name and passwordā€¦

Bollinger Band DNA - FOREX Trading using the Tymen Bollinger Band Strategy

[B]After doing so much posting, I am at a bit of a stalemate as to what to post nextā€¦[/B] :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think I might post some stages in MACRO trades.

If there are no further questions after that, then the time has come to start considering the construction of the DNA and MACRO pdfā€™s.

[B]All are welcome to assist me in this.[/B]

Please note that 2 of our very most senior posters appear to have gone, namely, [B]Xelnar [/B]and [B]NForex[/B].

[B]NForex [/B]was noted for his brilliant graphics which would have added beautifully to a final PDF. :slight_smile:

Averages 500 pips per day? wowā€¦

Iā€™d be extremely happy to average 30 pips per day. Heck, even 10 or 20 pipsā€¦ :expressionless:

You can average your 30 pips a day easily if you stay with our Bollinger DNA or MACRO methods!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Much more as you grow!!

Oops, posted to the wrong thread. Again :frowning:

Ah - good to know you are still with us.

I have restarted my live trading and that now has to share my posting time!! :o

I hope all is well with you Tymen!

I guess if you donā€™t have anything left to post, you could even show some live trade examples!

The numerous live trade examples from your candlestick thread were actually really helpful to me. Iā€™m sure many of the new guys and gals on this thread will appreciate some hard live trade copies!

On other news, Iā€™ve been trading the 4H charts of the DNA method and have been finding the large SL levels required like a bit of a kick in the teeth, especially when they are actually hit!

Due to this, Iā€™ve been working on reducing risk sizes by using the 4H as a ā€œguideā€ by watching the Bollinger Bands and anticipating a reversal. The CBL entry is actually taken on a lower time frame, but with 1 exception. Because Iā€™m using a lower TF CBL, I want price to close below the 2CBL and not just breach it.

I have been having success in early testingā€¦in factā€¦too much successā€¦which is why I am going to continue testing until I get a clearer picture of how well it works.

As always, thanks for your efforts Tymen. Please privately message me if you need a hand with the PDF!

I am very interested to see your results IronHeart. :slight_smile:

Yes, I will do that!!

We have some newbies joining (very new to forex) and I must show them some examples plus the whiteboard.

On other news, Iā€™ve been trading the 4H charts of the DNA method and have been finding the large SL levels required like a bit of a kick in the teeth, especially when they are actually hit!

Yes, [B]DodgeV83 [/B]has also complained that this is a real pain. :eek:

I have been able to get away with it because I am gifted with intuition, but that is not fair on others.
The only solution is to have a smaller stoploss.
This is difficult because the retraces sometimes need all the room of the 2 candle CBL.

I was looking at the Starc bands, but they donā€™t seem to help - I will look again.
It means you have a larger stoploss but it will never be hit!! :smiley: :smiley:

The other alternative is to do a NO NO.
That is, increase your stoploss in accordance with the widening of the BB.
This will prevent you from getting a hit, but how wide do you want to go?

I will look again this week - an improvement here will be revolutionary for the DNA method!!

As always, thanks for your efforts Tymen. Please privately message me if you need a hand with the PDF!

Thank you for that!!
I will most probably need help of one kind or another.

Well, I havenā€™t posted here in quite a while but that doesnā€™t mean I havenā€™t been reading :p. I donā€™t use everything explained in this thread but I have found the information about the bollinger bands very useful and it has contributed greatly to my trading.

Thanks Tymen.

Hello Tymen and everyone else who has made this such a great thread,

I am having some difficulties back testing the macro-method. Using the fibs as a trailing stop can help keep trades running for a very, very long timeā€¦ which is great. However, success or failure seems to depend on the pair you select and how strong it is trending.

For example if I run the same trading rules over the EUR/USD for the year and then run the USD/JPY the results are night and day.

Anything you can add about pair selection, trend strength, and determining when markets will range would really add value to the macro method. Is there a set of characteristics to look for that would help in making this distinction?

I also find that the DNA method is successful in ranging conditions, so maybe a combination of the 2 methods would be ideal.

Anyone else have similar results?

Thanks