The finest in trend trading

In the following chart we have a fine comparison of Bollinger band exits.
We compare the BB rule with the use of the parabolic sar >>>

Exit 1 (X1) is made according to the BB rule.
The black vertical line shows where the opposite (lower) BB started to contract after expanding.
Exit 1 is the close of the very next candle after the black vertical line.
Exit 1 is shown on the chart and a very thin green line is extended from it to the price scale to show its value.

Exit 2 (X2) is made according to the parabolic sar.
The red X shows the crossing of the sar with the mid BB.
Exit 2 is the close of the very next candle after the red X.
Exit 2 is shown on the chart and a very thin green line is extended from it to the price scale to show its value.

Since this trade is going long, the exit of the parabolic sar is superior to that of the BB rule.

However, the 2nd exit occurs 2 hours later than the 1st. (20 minute chart).
If this was a daily chart we would exit 6 days later.

On this scale here, the exit difference is about 5 pips.

Attention to the time factor is very important when considering the better exits.
Is it really worth waiting a whole lot of extra time to get just a few pips more?
:smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Not really.
Things can get messy here.

The entry is done with the timing chart but after that we do the maintenance with the home chart.
But we will look at your idea anyway.

Maybe I can be proven wrong!! :o :o

OK, the rest of my database pertains to this thread much further on.

So without being able to open GFT demo, I will continue on Monday!! :smiley: :slight_smile:

Damn! Missed that. Oh, well…

Hello there tymen1,

I just wanted to thank you for directing me to Kinetic Securities, where I was able to obtain an unlimited demo of GFT Dealbook’s trading platform. This was the only hindrance preventing me from using DealBook, as the demo on their website is only 30 days long, but now I have the ability to experiment with it and can see its full potential.

This may have been my stepping stone on the way to opening a Live Account at GFT.

Thanks so much!
xXTrizzleXx

Hello Tymen

I was following your Candlesticks (version 2) thread but unfortunately it closed before I reached the end and could make contact with you. I have though, this last week, come upon your new thread, and with some rapid reading have now come to the last posting. So not only is this my first contact with you, it is also my first posting on BabyPips.

I was tremendously impressed with the Candlesticks thread with the dedication that you gave to teaching others how to trade your method. Knowing from the thread, your background as a teacher, you excelled in the field of explanations and charts.

If anything, I’m even more impressed with this series, with your explanation and diagrams. Apart from one or two disruptive pupils you have maintained a good pace without being deflected unduly with their misbehaving!

I am also retired (chartered engineer) and ‘long in the tooth’. As I also have a DealBook account your charts are very familiar in format for me. I for one am both enjoying and learning from your thread – ’ the finest in trend trading’ – and I am sure many others are too.

Many many thanks
Ken

Have you considered a stop on the high or low of a candle that is near the high or low of a Bollinger Band?

For instance, if you’re short on a trade, and it nears the lower BB. You could start placing stops 10-20 pips above the high of every short candle.

And if the trade keeps running downward after a retracement, you could choose to re-enter the trade when it drops below the low of the candle you had your original stop placed.

Just my two cents.

Just a newbie ?. When you are looking for a contraction signal from the opposite BB are you looking for a visual ie curve up/dn or are you watching the BB readings that are given for the upper and lower BB’s? It seems that it’s fairly easy to see the change in direction on a chart after it’s fully formed but when your watching it before it’s formed its trickier to detct.

I goofed in not quoting you on my last message. My “missed that” referred to the Kinetic Securities comment you made.

In any case, I now have my GFT demo account and, while not trading trying to trade anything, I have set up all the indicators you mentioned (Guppy averages, new mmacd, and BBs) and I am extremely grateful to you for this entire teaching activity. The visual display of the indicators, along with the price info REALLY helps to see what is going on.

As we say here in New Mexico: Muchisimas gracias!

Hello Tymen,

this is a very great informative thread. thank you for your efforts !! :slight_smile:

Mr. Tymen

I’ve heard from somewhere that trading based on price action is better than trading with indicators …

I want to know what do you think about this …

I am happy for you, [B]xXTrizzleXx[/B], that Kinetic Securities were able to help you with that demo account. :slight_smile:
Now you can really make progress!!

Welcome to this thread to [B]ken doubleU[/B] and [B]mapking[/B]. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I trust that both of you will get much out of this thread that can be used for the methods described herein or you own methods later. :slight_smile:

Did you also get your GFT demo account thro Kinetic, [B]Xelnar[/B]?
If not you will only have your demo for 30 days.

Thank you all for the kind compliments.
I will strive to continue to put quality into the work.

We will be coming to more of this as we go along. :slight_smile:

This is true.

But do not worry, we will be looking for easier methods to exit the BB. :slight_smile:

This is a true statement.

But there is more than one section to this thread. :smiley:
And the indicator section comes first so that we can build on the knowledge gained in order to look at the next section. :smiley:

Let us start this topic proper by looking at the stochastic indicator.

Will this indicator give us good exits?

Lets take some samples >>>

In this awful example of a 4 hour chart we can see the MMACD crossover for going short.
It is a nice long trade.

But look at the stochastic!!
It was in the oversold at the beginning and the slow D line crossed over the K line very early on in the trade - see black vertical line.

We only look for crossovers in the stochastic when the indicator has reached its overbought or oversold limits.
There are no more such cases in the entire trade.

So the stochastic is useless to us in this trade.

Remember this example? (daily chart). >>>

Lets put this one to the stochastic test!!
>>>

Again, the stochastic crossover in the oversold area is way before time.
The exit is shown as X1.
The best exit is X2.

So far, the 2 candle retracement method, the BB rule and the parabolic sar are better methods.

In this next chart of 20 minute Cable, we see load the stochastic >>>

In this case, we start the trade with a clean BB bubble.
And the stochastic does a good job of showing the best exit point in the bubble.
It by no means the best exit in the trade but it is, nevertheless a good one.

The stochastic appears to do well when the trade commences with a clean bubble. :slight_smile:

The exit also matches perfectly with the point where the opposite BB, after expanding, now starts to contract.

Another case of a clean bubble, this time a short trade in the Cable >>>

The stochastic gives us an excellent exit - better than the other methods.

The BB rule gives us the same exit but with lagging indicators the contraction of the opposite BB can be difficult to detect.
This is not the case with the stochastic - the exit is clear.

It would appear that the stochastic is the best indicator for exits when we have clean bubbles.

Now for a combination example.
First a chart with no indicators to give a perspective >>>

In this 20 minute chart of the Swissy, we now load the MMACD to enter short in the trade and load the stochastic to find the best exit on the lower BB. >>>

We get a very disappointing first result - the crossover X1 is hardly into the trade. :frowning:

The 2nd crossover is more pleasing - it exits again in an excellent way on a clean BB bubble. :slight_smile:

The trade is not finished - the MMACD crosses back further on.
But the area of X2 is definitely the lowest price action of this short trade.

We need to draw some conclusions.