The Forex Portfolio - How to Gain Consistent Profits by Staying in the Market 24/7

Why don’t you test your idea entirely in demo, without risking real money?

[U]Use only your Demo Account[/U].

On Friday, open new positions for the following week.

On Monday, exit all losing positions. Then, make a note of the resulting Account Balance. Call this B1.

On Friday, exit all remaining positions, Then, make a note of your final Account Balance. Call this B2.

On paper, do the following calculation: B2 - B1 = the profit (or loss) [U]you would have made[/U] in your Live Account.

Your suggested trading plan seems to assume that the following week’s bias (direction) will be established over the weekend. But, I don’t think there is any empirical evidence for that assumption. Weekends can be a bit dicey where price action is concerned; and my personal preference is to avoid weekends, if I’m doing short-term trades, such as the one-week trades that you’re suggesting here.

I think you can get better clues to the week’s probable price direction from Monday’s trading, rather than from the sketchy trading which occurs over the weekend.

You could B[/B] enter all your positions during the early Asian Session on Monday in Tokyo (say, prior to midnight Sunday New York time), B[/B] jettison your losers [U]after[/U] the close of the New York Session on Monday (after 5pm Monday New York time), and B[/B] exit all remaining positions [U]before[/U] the close of the New York Session on Friday (anytime before 5pm Friday New York time).

You could try this approach (entirely in Demo) starting about 20 hours, or so, from now.

Well, time to write again :slight_smile: A couple of weeks without posting, too much work!

[ol]
[li]GBPCHF bias short. Sell on close below 1.4332[/li][li]USDSGD bias long. I’m inside a trade that is still running.[/li][li]EURNZD bias long. Buy on close above 1.6784[/li][li]EURCHF bias change to neutral. Moved my stop to reduce risk.[/li][li]CADJPY bias long. Trade running, near to move my stop.[/li][li]BRENT bias long. Current price is too high for me, and I think I’m not going to buy it.[/li][li]AUDNZD bias short. Trade running.[/li][li]NZDCHF bias long. Waiting for trade outcome[/li][li]CADCHF bias changed to neutral. I see a HL, but not a HH.[/li][li]AUDUSD bias short.[/li][li]GBPAUD bias long.[/li][li]AUDCHF bias short. Sell on close below 0.8623[/li][li]GBPCAD bias long.[/li][li]EURCAD bias long. Buy on close above 1.3679[/li][li]USDCHF bias short. Waiting for trade outcome[/li][li]AUDJPY bias short. Sell on close below 91.239[/li][li]USDHKD bias changed to neutral. Waiting for more days to see what to do.[/li][li]NZDJPY bias long. see HL-HH-HL pattern, waiting for trade outcome.[/li][li]GBPNZD bias short. Sell on close below 1.9154[/li][li]USDCAD bias long. Buy on close above 1.0337[/li][li]GBPJPY bias long. See HL/HH/HL/HH pattern, so I bought it.[/li][li]NZDCAD bias long. See HL/HH/HL/HH pattern, so I bought it.[/li][li]EURAUD bias long. Buy on close above 1.4328[/li][li]USDJPY bias long. Bought.[/li][li]AUDCAD bias short. See LH/LL/LH pattern, so I sold it.[/li][li]EURGBP bias long. I see a signal to buy at the 50 %, so I bought it.[/li][li]EURJPY bias long. See HH/HL/HH pattern, I’m going to buy it if a new HL is made.[/li][li]WTI bias long. Waiting for trade outcome.[/li][/ol]

Hi guys, I want to ask you something. I´m sorry if this was asked before, I read the main things but I don´t have time to go through the 120 pages of this thread, or at least not today.

How do you monitor the 28 pairs? do you have all the charts open at the same time in 2 or 3 huge screens? Or just open one by one to see if you find any trend or interesting signal?

one by one, daily signals take days to develop so just once a day at 5pm should be enough

I think you are answering me Pips Ahoy. I started an excel sheet and I´m going one by one writing my comments and what I´m planning to do with the ones that look promising. Thanks for the answer.

In spite of looking for being a swing trader I´m using H1 as a trigger, analizing Daily, H4 and H1. I hope H1 is not small enough.

Personally, if you’re going to ‘swing’ trade, even H1 can have a little too much noise.

Wouldn’t go lower than H4 but if it works for you then go for it

I don’t know if it works yet! I started with forex about two months ago and apart from just few isolated trades I haven’t started “trading” yet. I spent this two months reading books and finding a proper framework, that is which time frames to use, which methodology, indicators…

I’m quite methodical, I don’t like to start an endeavour if I don’t feel confident. But recently I think I’ve been felling that I’m finding my framework, so I think that this week I’ll start doing some serious paper trading. And for the rest, time will tell.

MG99,

In reference to your post #1087, can you please tell me what app you are using for those displays?

I am almost finished reading the whole thread. I have been sim-trading with your methodology for two weeks with GREAT results. I look forward to posting very soon. I am a HUGE fan of this thread and this methodology.

I’ve been following this thread, pretty much continuously, since March, although I haven’t posted much lately.

As I went through this thread, I paid particular attention to Mastergunner’s posts, in order to collect the key points — the “rules”, if you will — for configuring and trading his methodology. I’ve written them all out, and arranged them in an order that makes sense to me.

These key points may be of interest to others on this thread, so I will post them here.

[U]The MG99 Portfolio Methodology — how it is configured and traded[/U]

• twenty-eight currency pairs are monitored for swing-trading opportunities on a daily basis
• the pairs monitored represent all possible pairings of the 8 majors: USD, EUR, JPY, GBP, AUD, CHF, CAD, and NZD
• the number of pairs monitored may be adjusted up or down to suit the individual trader
• potential swing-trading set-ups, based on developing trends, are identified on daily charts after the close
• only trades in the direction of the trend are considered
• chart analysis is based on price action only (i.e., S/R levels, fibs, candlesticks and candlestick patterns, etc.)
• technical indicators, economic news releases and fundamental analysis are ignored

• positions may be entered in any number of pairs, up to the total number of pairs being monitored
• for each new position entered, the number of units entered = the number of dollars of current account equity
• this way of determining position size implies that, for each position, 100 pips = approximately 1% of account balance
• each position represents roughly 1:1 actual leverage; 28 positions would represent roughly 28:1 overall leverage
• one unit of any pair is assumed to be equivalent to one unit of any other pair, regardless of different notional values
• it is advantageous to use a broker who offers trading in units, rather than in lots or fractions of lots

• correlations (positive or negative) between pairs are not considered
• positions may be entered using market-orders, stop-orders, or limit-orders
• entries do not entail stop-loss or take-profit orders
• SL and/or TP orders may be added during trade management, depending on circumstances
• positions, once entered, may not be added to

• exits generally are handled in a discretionary fashion
• positions may be exited using market-orders, stop-orders, or limit-orders
• a loser is exited (usually within days of entry) when the rationale for the trade is determined to be no longer valid
• a winner is exited when the trend has run its course and has reversed, however long that takes

• swing trading implies that profitable trades typically remain open for weeks
• swing trades are held over weekends
• entries and exits are generally late when measured against swing highs and swing lows
• large numbers of pips frequently are left on the table when winners are exited
• an exit does not trigger an entry in the opposite direction — this is not a stop-and-reverse methodology
• trades are not journaled

• common measures of risk do not apply to portfolios of forex positions
• generally, overall portfolio risk is far less than the sum of the risks in the individual positions
• overall portfolio profit in the range of 5R can be expected

In my review of this entire thread, I may have missed some key points. If you find any omissions, please point them out.

The bullet-points itemized above do [B]not[/B] constitute a stand-alone list of instructions for trading this methodology. Rather, they represent a sort of index to the topics you need to understand, and master, in order to trade this methodology successfully.

Many of the individual bullet-points listed above could be expanded into major discussions — e.g., correlations, portfolio risk, and others. I hope that we can continue to discuss those points in this thread.

On the topic of forex portfolio risk, I have been attempting to solve the math involved. And I have to admit that the complex probabilities I’m trying to deal with are over my head. Maybe there’s a mathematician or statistician on this thread who could bail me out (?). If so, drop me a PM. We can try to solve the math “off the grid”, and then bring the solution back to this thread.

GrandScheme,

2 months is not long enough? 6 months at a minimum?..

In order to do what??? Start posting??? That’s all I mentioned.

Are you confusing my post with someone else’s? Or maybe you thought I was going to go live with $50,000.

I did mention I was sim-trading,…

Clint,

Good job on the post. A lot of people will benefit from it.

I just read the entire thread. Finally finished. The “re-cap” you provided was just what I needed.

GS,

Thank you for the app answer. btw.

There are many things that I don’t do in public: making love, praying, and trading are three of them.

By the way, Aaron, [I]“siege”[/I] is spelled [I]“i before e”.[/I]

Thank you, sir. I hope you’re right.

If you find any errors or omissions in it, give me a shout.

Clint, we type LOL so easily, but I literally just laughed out loud! :smiley:

Thanks for the applause. — I’m delighted to entertain.

Somewhere, back in the first 25 or 30 pages of this thread, there were a lot of questions about the exact risk involved in this portfolio methodology. Clearly, the posters who were asking those questions were hoping for hard numbers — for example, [I]“if you open n positions, you will be risking x% of your account.”[/I] Answers that specific were never given, because such answers are not possible. The risk associated with opening multiple positions in a forex portfolio is dependent on a number of variables, some of which must be estimated.

The final step in forex portfolio risk analysis involves some hairy mathematics called binomial probability distribution, involving laborious calculations which you don’t even want to attempt to do by hand. But, those calculations are a snap for computers. And fortunately there are free online Binomial Calculators which will spit out binomial probabilities to 15 decimal places in just a few seconds, with just a few inputs.

And, therein lies the problem: those 15-decimal outputs are only as good as the inputs we provide; and, as it turns out, we have to make a lot of assumptions, in order to come up with those inputs. So, before we resort to a Binomial Calculator, let’s talk about trade risk in general terms, and let’s see whether we can make the necessary assumptions with an adequate level of confidence.

It’s common for forex traders to refer to risk as the [I]loss[/I] (in dollars or in percentage of account balance) which will result, if things go wrong — without regard to the [I]probability[/I] of things going wrong.

For example, two traders open [I]different[/I] positions in GBP/USD. Each trader has a $20,000 account. Each trader’s position size is one standard lot. And each trader protects his position with a 40-pip stop-loss.

Almost everyone would agree that these two traders are taking the same amount of risk; specifically, each trader is risking 40 pips, which is $400 (in a 1-lot position), and this $400 risk represents 2% of each trader’s account.

But, look what happens when we take into account just one additional metric — [I]win-ratio[/I] — involved in these trades.

Let’s say that one trader has an average win-ratio (in trades similar to his GPB/USD trade) of 55%. And let’s say that the other trader has an average win-ratio of 80%. The trader whose strategy has a 55% win-ratio is much more likely to lose $400 on [I]his[/I] GBP/USD trade, than the trader whose win-ratio is 80%.

Specifically, one trader has a 45% probability of a $400 loss, and the other trader has a 20% probability of a $400 loss.

Furthermore, over the course of many trades, the trader with the 55% win-ratio is much more vulnerable than the other trader to devastating [I]strings of losses.[/I]* (see the note at the bottom of this post)

Shouldn’t these realities be included in our concept of “risk”?

The idea that [I]“risk is simply the loss that will result if price hits your stop-loss”[/I] is so commonly held that we might as well just accept it and use it, when we’re discussing individual trades. But, for the more complex situation where several trades (or many trades) are running simultaneously in a portfolio, the winners and losers offset one another — so, we know intuitively that there has to be more to this idea of risk than just stop-losses.

If we know the number of positions in a portfolio, and if we know the [I]average win-ratio[/I] and the [I]average reward/risk ratio[/I] for the trades in the portfolio, we can calculate the number of losers required to tilt the overall portfolio from profit into loss.

If most, or all, of the positions in a portfolio were to result in losses, the overall portfolio loss would be substantially larger than most traders are accustomed to. So, it would be a good idea for us to determine the probability of such an event. Which brings us back to the binomial probability distribution mentioned above.

Let’s start with the metrics which Mastergunner has posted in this thread for his portfolio trading so far this year. Then, let’s plug his numbers into a Binomial Calculator to determine the probability of various numbers of losses.

Mastergunner has posted the following numbers:

• number of trades = 56
• net pips = 3434.4 pips
• average winner = 239.7 pips
• average loser = 93.26 pips
• 100 pips = approximately 1% of account
• broker leverage = 50:1 (maximum allowable leverage in the U.S.)
• typical portfolio size = 20 positions

Using his numbers, we can calculate the following:

• number of winners = 26
• number of losers = 30
• win-ratio = 46.4%
• reward/risk ratio = 2.57/1
• approximate average risk per trade = 0.9326% of account
• [I]implied[/I] average risk per 20 trades = 0.9326% risk per trade x 20 trades = 18.65% of account
• required margin per trade = 2% of account (approximate average)
• required margin per 20 trades = 40% of account (approximate average)

From these numbers, we can generalize that, in a typical portfolio of 20 positions, 40% of the account balance is “escrowed” as margin, and 18.65% of the account is nominally “at risk”. That is, if all 20 positions were to result in losses, averaging 93.26 pips each, then 18.65% of the account would be lost. (Even in this worst-case scenario, more than 40% of the account would be untouched by margins or losses; so, margin calls would not be an issue.)

If [I]x[/I] trades result in average profits (of 239.7 pips each), and [I]20-x[/I] trades result in average losses (of 93.26 pips each), then the “break-even” ratio of winners/losers is 6 winners/14 losers. That is, if the number of winners is 6 or more, then the 20 trades in the portfolio represent an [I]aggregate[/I] profit; if the number of winners is 5 or fewer, then the 20 trades in the portfolio represent an [I]aggregate[/I] loss.

We want to use a Binomial Calculator to determine the probability of 5 or fewer winners, in a portfolio of 20 positions, given Mastergunner’s win-ratio of 46.4%. This calculator works well.

We plug in the numbers, and get this result: Cumulative probability: P(X =/< 5) = 0.0427… (to 15 decimal places) — which means that there is a 4.27% probability that the number of winners (X) will be equal to, or less than, 5.

So, given the numbers which Mastergunner has posted, his portfolio has (on average) at any given time a 4.27% probability of being in aggregate loss, and a 95.73% probability of being in aggregate profit. This is an “idealized” result, which does not take into account the frequent removal and replacement of positions within the portfolio.

However, this result demonstrates that there is [I]a low probability of realizing overall portfolio loss,[/I] when compared to the way we normally evaluate risk.

And this result [I][U]implies[/U] that there must be an extremely low probability of realizing a total loss[/I] of all 20 positions in the portfolio (which would result in the 18.65% account loss previously calculated).

We can quickly calculate the probability of [I]total loss,[/I] using the Binomial Calculator. And we find that, given a 46.4% win-ratio, the probability of [I]zero winners and 20 losers[/I] in a 20-position portfolio is 3.83…E-06 (note the exponential notation) — which equals 0.00000383%. In other words, [I]the probability of total loss is less than 4 ten-thousandths of 1%.[/I]

As long as Mastergunner’s portfolio maintains a reward/risk ratio of 2.57/1, the “break-even” ratio of winners/losers for a 20-position portfolio will remain at 6 winners/14 losers.

However, his portfolio’s [I]win-ratio[/I] could improve. And relatively small improvements in the win-ratio of his portfolio would significantly reduce the probability of overall portfolio loss.

• Mastergunner’s current 46.4% win-ratio corresponds to a 4.27% cumulative probability of

achieving no more than 5 winners out of 20 positions, resulting in overall portfolio loss.

• Increasing his win-ratio to 50% would reduce the probability of overall portfolio loss to 2.07%.

• Increasing his win-ratio to 53% would reduce the probability of overall loss to 1.05%.

• Increasing his win-ratio to 56% would reduce the probability of overall loss to 0.5%.

• And increasing his win-ratio to 59% would reduce the probability of overall loss to 0.2%.

You can verify these results, by plugging the relevant numbers into the Binomial Calculator.

• Note concerning strings of losses for the two traders in the GBP/USD example —

For the trader with the 55% win-ratio, a string of 5 losses in a row will occur, on average, once in every 54 trades; whereas for the trader with the 80% win-ratio, a string of 5 losses in a row will occur, on average, once in every 3,125 trades. In general, for any number of consecutive losses specified, the average frequency of occurrence will be much higher for the trader with the 55% win-ratio, than for the trader with the 80% win-ratio.

The equation for calculating strings of losses can be found here.

Strings of losses should not be confused with binomial probability distributions. Strings of losses are, by definition, consecutive losses; whereas binomial probability distributions refer to numbers of losses (or wins) occurring in any order, whether consecutive or not.

Hi Clint,

This was an eye-opener of a post, thank you for the effort. I’m almost having the overload of ideas the same way I had it when I truly started paying attention to money management algorithms, the possibilities that was right in front of me all the time is amazing.

I’m very intrigued by your post and will have to read it again a few times before beginning to apply it to my own stats. Good job man, thanks again.

Cheers.

Clint that was a wonderful post. Many will appreciate that and it certainly helps warm me up to swing trading even moreso.

Kick ass post, Clint… Thanks. I now have to fully digest it.