The good, the bad and the ugly - What are your experiences

I would like to hear the best and the worst of people’s experiences with various online forex brokers. What has worked for you, and what has not. What are areas that the broker could have been better, and what was out of teh broker’s control?

Thanks in advance.

Could you perhaps explain why this interests you?

There are many issues that traders can have concerning brokers and I am sure every broker has issues that arise with some of their clients.

Are you looking for specific dealings with named brokers or just in general?

I don’t really see much point in going through all the regular problems of spreads, slippage, stops, delayed withdrawals, communications, etc unless you are a) doing some kind of research or b) looking for a reliable broker personally?

If you could explain your interest then maybe it would be easier to target specific areas?

All Forex Brokers are Good, Bad and Ugly. Its just which of them display more of the bad side than the good side. This is why on review websites you find out that all brokers have negative reviews. It’s just like Trading with Profiforex for quite some time and when I see one or two bad reviews I wonder if this is the same broker I use, since I practically have not had any issues with it. So what transpired between the broker and the traders that wrote bad reviews. I have withdrawn money multiple times, no problem. I am yet to see the bad side. Every broker at one time will give you issues in terms of delayed withdraw and lat response to emails.

Still, there are some very bad brokers that are only interested in making you deposit money and the next thing you know your money is gone. They either always hunt your stop loss or the platform will freeze on you when it is time to cash in profit, and the next thing you know when it comes back on you are at loss.

Manxx - I am with the marketing division of a forex broker, and knowing the pitfalls that traders have dealt with (as well as the positive experiences) enables us to quality control what we do in order to provide all of the good and none (or as little as possible) of the negative to our clients - newcomers and veterans alike

Drehafl - I understand and appreciate your thoughts, but I was more looking for the personal experiences that traders in this forum have had than a general overview of the ups and downs of forex brokers.

Nice to hear! :slight_smile:

Bearing in mind that traders put an awful lot of time, effort and resources into their trading, it seems to me that the most sensitive and critical individual complaints fall into three main areas (although I am sure there are more!):

1. Price reliability and professional behaviour

Traders want tight, competitive spreads with fast fills and minimal slippage. This goes for both large and miniature position sizes. No trader enjoys bad fills or having their well-planned strategy wiped out by a sudden widening in spreads. Obviously, a broker is to some extent limited by what it can obtain itself from its LPs, but some clearly take advantage of spread widening beyond what could be considered acceptable with respect to market events.

1. Trustworthy and approachable

I can think of nothing more soul-destroying than for a trader to spend months, even years, learning and practising and slowly building capital - only to find that when they eventually come to draw something the broker is difficult, reticent, expensive or maybe even gone! Naturally, regulation is helping to protect against the most dramatic scenarios here, but delays and costs affecting wdls can be very irritating.

Linked to this is customer service and accessibility in general. No one appreciates having issues dragging out for weeks just because the broker does not reply. Transparency, thoroughness, honesty and speed are essential qualities here.

1. User-friendly, adequate and reliable platform

Probably most traders still have to cope with MT4 but many brokers do offer their own platform alternatives. These are the trader’s tool. It must be reliable and flexible and offer a fully comprehensive range of features allowing traders to build their models and personalise their views, facilitate fast and accurate position entry/exits and modifications, and provide the visual information that the traders needs to monitor.

I am sure there are more issues but maybe these initial thoughts will act as a catalyst to generate input from others :slight_smile:

NOTE: I sincerely hope that this thread does not degenerate into specific complaints about specific brokers, that would surely not be appropriate…

2 Likes