The Hidden Power of Hope and Greed

Scams don’t fool the foolish. They fool the Many people believe that only the careless or uneducated fall for financial scams. The truth is far more uncomfortable - smart, educated, and successful people get scammed every day.

Why? Because scams don’t attack intelligence. They exploit hope and greed.

Hope makes people stop asking hard questions. Greed hides behind logic, urgency, and the fear of missing out.
And once emotion takes over, even the smartest minds make costly decisions.

  • Overtrading.
  • Overleveraging.
  • Revenge trading.

These are emotional reactions - the same forces scammers use to pull people in.

If an investment promises easy money, fast returns, or guaranteed profits, it’s time to pause.

3 Likes

Well said, so the scammers will prosper because of these greedy people who fell victim of such ponzi schemes of getting rich right after joining it. Intelligent investors on the other hand learn about the market mechanics and investing rather than falling for fake hopes and greed.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. I’ve seen really smart people gifted with above-average intellect who got scammed or lost money because of their greed,they wanted to have extra cash in an easy way and they were sure they’re the only ones who were smart enough to discover the "golden opportunity."I consider myself an average man, and I’ve had my own share of losses because of such thinking in my early trading days.

1 Like

Yeah, scams fool the hopeful not the foolish.

1 Like

They fool both these groups.

In the area of forex trading, they’re both huge groups, and overlapping, too. The whole industry of retail forex has been set up in ways designed to attract them.

3 Likes

The people we label as “stupid” can be the ones asking the right questions, and the people we assume are “smart” can be the ones getting dragged by ego, hope, or FOMO. Scams and bad trades don’t pick on IQ, they pick on emotion. The real edge is staying skeptical when it sounds easy and slowing down when you feel urgency.

1 Like

I’ve learned the hard part isn’t spotting the scam, it’s spotting my own greed trying to justify it. When I feel rushed, I know I’m not thinking clearly.

Hope and greed cloud judgment, leading to overtrading and chasing losses. Stick to a solid strategy, manage risk, and avoid FOMO to stay grounded and protect your capital.

I used to think being informed would protect me from bad decisions. It didn’t. When expectations and greed creep in, even solid reasoning gets bent to fit what you want to believe. That’s when mistakes stop feeling like mistakes until after the damage is done.

What stands out to me is how emotions disguise themselves as logic. I remember convincing myself that increasing size or taking another trade made sense, even though it went against my plan. In the moment, it felt rational, but looking bac,k it was clearly emotion driving those choices. That’s a dangerous blind spot.

The scary part is you can be smart and still get dragged by ego. I’ve done the same thing in early trading, telling myself it’s a “good opportunity” when it was really FOMO. The fix for me was making things boring. Small risk, predefined exit, and a daily loss cap so emotion can’t keep digging the hole.

3 Likes

kinda resonate to me too… I think somehow most traders would gone through such unfortunate… Although some are well obvious, but greed and FOMO really got us bad :disappointed_relieved:

It couldn’t be said more accurately. But this only refers to trading scams and those promises for quick returns with zero efforts

1 Like

Same goes for FOMO - they make you think that chances are just flowing pas you and you’re “missing” them. But market is always cyclical and it’s going to give you the same chances AGAIN and AGAIN. That’s why you need to know what you are hunting, even if you let it slide - just acklowledge the setup.

True even smart people get fooled when hope and greed take over.

That’s very true, I’ve seen plenty of smart and well educated people fall into the same traps. It’s rarely about knowledge, more about how decisions are made under pressure. Emotions can override logic pretty quickly, especially when there’s urgency involved. In many cases, being cautious and taking time to think things through makes a big difference.

Most traps in markets don’t target intelligence, they target emotions.

1 Like

Applies perfectly to trading too. Most traders don’t lose because they lack strategy, they lose when emotions like greed and hope take over their decisions.

exactly…
I remember the story from the “Reminiscences of a Stock Operator”, there Jessie Livermore talks abt one guy, a salesman.
He was selling books. And he tried to sell to Jessie too…but Livermore refused, but the salesman persisted, he pulled out a beautiful leather-bound volume and started showing it to him. One again, Jessie refused…but the salesaman continued and continued, with all his tactis…eventially after a long, awkward standoff, Livermore gave in, and bought the book, not out of interest, but simply to get rid of him.

THe moral of the story to me - stick to ur rules…at that time Jessie did not, the salesman did…

Imho these problems are not problems of educated and smart people. Someone who already did research and approached trading with a critical mindset, won’t suddenly be triggered emotionally, starting to overleverage his positions. “Smart” guys have other problems, they tend to overcomplicate things, looking for Holy Grail and numerous trade confirmation, ideal trading setup. They also have FOMO. Unlike their less prepared colleagues, they’re not greedy or can easily be scammed, they overthink trading too much…
I know because I’m exactly in this category of tradersXD

1 Like