THE JOY OF CANDLESTICK TRADING - a Learning Experience

To daedalus :

I hope that the material to come will be of good use to you. All the best! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

yupā€¦ i havenā€™t ever looked at using them. homework tonight! :wink:

I am hooked Tymen!

this is certainly interesting Tymen , thank you for taking the time to put this together ā€¦

i also appreciate the process , as itļæ½s good to take a bit of time and let each piece(post) of the puzzle intergrate one by one ā€¦ that way we can each have our own ā€œahaā€ moments through the process as oppossed to having the whole method dished out at once ā€¦ im not sure if i said it right but i reckon you get the meaning ā€¦

anyways , just wanted to give you props ā€¦

:smiley:

Thank you Tonymand and Semaji :

I shall surely continue.

But today I got caught up in helping some of our paint sniffing indigenous friends - a totally different experience from doing forex. So I did not get a chance to post.

Is is now Saturday, so I promise to continue Monday with the [U]real case senarios[/U].

Donā€™t mean to throw this thread off but can someone give me a fast way to get this file (keltner channels) to MT4.I am going nuts here,I want to follow this thread,I get it opened up in metaeditor and I compile it but then I donā€™t know where to go from thereā€¦thanks in advance!!josh:)

Not sure if this helps but here ya goā€¦ I call them volatility bands

Keltner Channels.zip (865 Bytes)

Keltner channel for MT4

Save yourself the effort!

I am dumber than I appear I guessā€¦:frowning: I have downloaded the file.But I get lost from there.I can bring it up in metaeditorā€¦then I donā€™t know what to do nextā€¦:confused:

Close your platform, go to my computer, program files, find your platform, Experts, Indicatorsā€¦

Drag and drop folder into indicators fileā€¦

Wow, look at all those keltner indicators coming out of the woodwork :smiley:

Make sure you have saved the indicator into the right MT4 folder/directory which I believe should be the ā€œindicatorsā€ā€¦Iā€™m at work so just off the top of my headā€¦otherwise you may be saving it in the experts folder/directory by accident.

Then you have to exit MT4 and then restart it again so it will show up in your list of indicatorsā€¦donā€™t know why they donā€™t have a refresh button instead, but then I donā€™t work for them or they would :wink:

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

This one has more setting if your into ATRā€¦ I got it off the web somewhere.

KeltnerChannel_v1.zip (945 Bytes)

Well since you guys are talking about bands. Here is an interesting combo.

Daily TF with STARC/BB bands

Signal when BB croses Starc enter

Here is example gbpusd daily:

Last screen shot is daily USDCHF. Notice when the BB gets spread out from STARC.

Greatā€¦now I have to go find a starc indicatorā€¦:rolleyes: :smiley: :wink:

Iā€™m an idiotā€¦ what the hell is starc?

To Daedalus, Airborne and Sweet Pip.

Thank for helping Jlmac27 with the Keltner on the MT4 platform. I am not really familiar with that program so I would be fiddling around trying to help.

Your help allows me to get on with the thread.

To Airborne :

Please be careful that you are not ā€œcherry pickingā€ your trades on the Starc bands. It is not just that easy to trade probability bands. Sometimes the stop losses take all your profits away.

To Daedalus :

Starc bands :

Capture Profits Using Bands And Channels

I am at rest so I will now add my first chart to show a real life senario of the Keltner channel prediction approach.

[B]Study the chart below.[/B]

There are 2 separate predictions.

Each one has a little vector diagram in the top corner.

My Keltner channel has been manually coloured full grey in Microsoft Paint to allow ease of clarity.
The middle Keltner band is easy to see this way - it is yellow.
The middle Bolinger band is [U]blue.[/U] (can you see it?)

Further notes below the chart >>>

By tymen1 at 2008-03-15

>>> In the 1st prediction you can see that the middle BB ([U]blue line[/U]) is going [U]up [/U]and also the MACD is going [U]up[/U].
Hence the resultant is UP and the candles are green and right on the [U]upper keltner [/U][U]channel.[/U]
In the 2nd prediction, the middle Bolinger band (BB) ([U]blue line[/U]), is basically [U]level [/U]and the MACD is going [U]down [/U]rather rapidly.
Hence the resultant is going [U]down [/U]too, and the candles are red and hovering [U]between [/U]the lower keltner channel and the middle keltner channel.

The reason for the hovering [U]between [/U]is because one of the vectors in the 2nd case is [U]level[/U].
Had [U]both [/U]vectors been going [U]down[/U], the candles would have been walking the [U]lower [/U]channel.

[B]From here on I use BB to mean Bolinger bands
and
KC to mean Keltner channel [/B]

Tymen - Thanks man! I canā€™t belive iā€™ve been doing this for so long and I had never heard of a STARC band before. Amazing. Learn something new everyday I suppose? :wink:

Great tutorial post as always! Keep it up!