THE JOY OF CANDLESTICK TRADING - a Learning Experience

Tymen interesting discussion on those bands. Here is an example of what I posted last week. This shows a daily signal then a slip down to 4h to confirm the daily. This works on any time frame. I guess you could use the daily as the signal and the entry on a smaller time. Once signal is alerted the Vertical line is drawn, then again on the 4h. If someone was trading the high times then naturally your stops are not 20 pips away. Some might consider using a volatility stop off some ATR or below support. Like any trending system you never know when the trend will end.

Daily is like the heads up display and the 4h confirms the signal. Something like this is mainly for longer term positions or those who can not stare at the screen all day.

Sorry for getting off track and away from your main topic.

Thanks guys for the help.I was pulling my hair out trying to figure that out.But we are all set up now!!thanks!:DBy the way Tymen I am grateful for this threadā€¦I have been waiting for thisā€¦since christmas time!Keep up the good work.!

One fast question, my KC comes with a default setting of period 10ā€¦I have switch it to 5 as you instructed,but I do not have a factor setting(Is this important?)

To jlmac27 :

No problem if there is no ā€œfactorā€. It is most likely set at 1 anyway.

To Airborne :

Yeah, a little off topic. My reason for the Keltner bands was just as a tactic for fine tuning entries to the evening star candlestick pattern.

The evening star pattern is the important thing, keltner is merely secondary.

If you wish to discuss bands only as a trading method, maybe it would be better to open a new thread.

[B]Now another real life example to show the accuracy of using the KC-BB-MACD approach.[/B]

Notes below >>>

By tymen1 at 2008-03-17

>>> Ideally, to scale the vectors correctly, the main chart should be full size, then the MACD chart should be full size. This way you get the exact angles of the vectors.

Note that the middle BB (blue) is going down, whereas the MACD is going steeply up.

The resultant, therefore is nearly level, [U]just a tiny bit up[/U]. So the price action which would be at the [U]yellow middle KC band [/U]for a [U]level[/U] [U]resultant,[/U] is hovering just above the [U]yellow middle KC [/U]for a [U]resultant a tiny bit up[/U].

Again, the predictions are accurate.

[B]Next post, we will do a prediction first, then look at the final result.[/B]

Hi Tymen,

Still following with interest. Iā€™ve got a couple of questions;

How far ahead can this vector method predict ?

Is there a valid entry if you have missed the bounce off the BB and itā€™s already in itā€™s trend ?

Jeff

I would say at least 2/3 candles ahead. It basically highlights a mini trend.

Later I will show a fine tactic for prediction where 1 candle ahead is sufficient. The KC-BB-MACD system more than meets that requirement.

Sorry, I donā€™t understand the 2nd part of your question - can you put it in different words.

Hi Tymen,

Iā€™ve attached a chart (if I did it right)

See the slide down from the 2.0200 to the 2.0000 level. I woke up part way through that and missed the beginning of it, where it came off the top BB with a reversal pattern.

Hope this is clearer.

Thanks, Jeff

To VulcanClassic :

Wow! Thats a drop of 200 pips is it? :eek:

I would really like to see the main chart before making any assesment.

It looks as though you have lost this one but I cannot be really sure untill I see the main chart.

Yes it was a pretty good move this morning.

Iā€™ve attached a 1 hr and 5 min chart. Thatā€™s the GBPUSD.
Iā€™m just wondering if there was anywhere in the 5 min chart that I could have entered once the drop was underway.

To VulcanClassic :

It is very difficult to see your evening star pattern on the 1 hour chart(magnification would be helpful) but I think I have found it.

I would not have traded this pattern - too risky.

why?

Later rules.

With an evening star pattern we look for candles to walk the upper BB. This indicates a trend - in a 1 hour chart this could be reasonably strong. When the evening star appears it signals and end to the walk and we can expect the trend to reverse - even if only for a short time.

In your pattern there was no such trend. The price shot up from below, then shot down again - more of a price spike. Trading this is very risky.

As such, I have set a rule that the candles of the pattern must never penetrate the middle BB - they should be smaller than that. Preferably the green candle just prior to the pattern is also well above the middle BB.

You then give your downtrend room to move. Remember that the middle BB is the average and price action tends to return to this point. There is no guarantee that is will go past this point.

If you did not trade this one then just forget it. I will talk more about good and bad patterns later.

Ok thanks,

Gives me food for thought.

[B]And now a 5 minute chart to try pedict the price action 3/4 candles ahead.[/B]

Using the KC-BB-MACD approach. Lets see how we go : >>>

By tymen1 at 2008-03-17

>>> The last candle we have is a small green one with a wick (shadow) only on the bottom. It is sitting right on the middle KC band.

With a level resultant we expect the price action to hang about the middle KC. [B]The next chart shows whether our prediction was accurate[/B].

Lets see the answer to our prediction.

By tymen1 at 2008-03-17

Amazing prediction accuracy. You may argue that this chart has been carefully ā€œcherry pickedā€ but I can tell you from experience that it works all the time.
[U]Comments invited[/U]. We can now use this to get quality entries on the evening star pattern using a 5 minute chart.

At this point, stop losses have not been discussed - coming later.

[B]Next charts - a fully live trade with the evening star from start to finish[/B]

Tymen,

Sorry, but I have not seen you explain how to draw the vectorsā€¦ Did not remember learning it 40 years ago:D

Thanks

To Moneda :

The vectors are drawn exactly parallel to the lines ie the BB vector is parallel or even on top of the middle Bolinger band.

Same with the MACD vector. Use charting tools to draw.

Now you donā€™t have to draw them - you can make a mental note of their direction.

[U]Examples[/U] :

up BB+down MACD=level priceā€¦middle KC.
up BB+up MACD=up priceā€¦top KC.
down BB+level MACD=slightly down priceā€¦below middle KC
down BB +down MACD=down priceā€¦bottom KC.
level BB +up MACD=slightly up priceā€¦above middle KC.
ETC.

Hope this helpsā€¦if not post again and be very specific with your question.

[B]I will now go thro a live trade with an evening star pattern step by step using the BB-KC-MACD approach to get the very best entry.[/B]

Firstly study the chart below. Notes below the chart >>>

By tymen1 at 2008-03-17

The chart shows a beautiful evening star highlighted in light blue. The 2nd candle has peaked beautifully.
It is also on the upper Bolinger band which, together with the lower band, is shown in grey. The middle band is in blue.

The profit potential is shown by the dark blue dots - you [U]trade short[/U] as far as you dare or use a MACD or stochastic or otherwise.

Now the 4th candle (green) is the entry candle at 11.45am. You can see that this candle has a very long upper shadow (wick).

The traditional [U]shorting[/U] entry point is at the bottom of the 3rd candle and I have labelled this point "[U]poor entry[/U]"
If you were to enter near the top of the wick you would have the ā€œgreat entryā€ as labelled.

The difference between the [U]great entry [/U]and the [U]poor entry [/U]is about 30 pips. [U]This is a whole shorting trade in itself [/U] let alone any further pips we get from shorting from the traditional entry point !!! :slight_smile:

So you can see that good entries here can make a difference. This is for scalping. If you are a position trader (long term) then specific entry points would make little difference.

When you are looking to trade this set up it is assumed that you have a 5 minute chart fully ready with MACD, BB and KC already on it. You are already watching it, and when the 4th candle appears on the main chart, you are ready to attack.

[B]Next chart - the 5 minute for best entry.[/B]

Tymen,

I understand nowā€¦great to be back in the classroom:)

Thank You.

I just funded my account with 300dollars.What pattern of trade do i use.Pls explain the evening star pattern

Tymen,:smiley:
Learning a lot here.Thanks for the reply.I am quiting my job to trade this system next week!!Just kiddingā€¦keep up the good work though very interesting,I have never looked at price this way.vectors and resultants,good stuff keep it up.