The most boring trend-following plan

Trend-following is meant to be a little dull, but only in the way that chess might seem boring compared to boxing.

(I actually find it a little unsettling that people always want children to learn chess - it’s an incredibly violent game).

oh you are right the post is very old :joy: thanks for sharing and anwsering. Happy trading

Hi Tommor
I also like trend following approach supplemented by SW ranking. However, I am not yet consistently profitable. Probably, because I have been adjusting my rules far too much.
Given that you have been following the same approach for a number of years, does your system have a positive expectancy? I assume that it does, otherwise you wouldn’t follow it for such a long time. I know you don’t post your trades, but could you provide an average net pips/trade.

Yes it’s a profitable strategy. The win rate is not something I calculate regularly but it’s maybe not as high as you would suppose. But if your average winner is much higher than your average loser this is not a key issue.

I have increased the win rate and profitability by setting a TP at +1r or +1.25r or +1.5r at the most. A +2r winner on D1 is rare in forex unless you leave the stop-loss at its original level, -1r. What I have often attempted is to add to winning positions when they reach +1r from entry, moving the SL to entry price, but this rarely leads to big winners, more often it leads to break-even exits at the entry price, with only occasional big winners for multiple r.

2 Likes

Moving Averages have their uses, like everything in FX, they work some of the time. This is my Patriotic setup, red, white & blue. :us:

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for reviving this old topic. I wasn’t aware, that tommor had described his approach in such detail.

Quite the striking uptrend. It’s possible that the JPY might receive some support from the Japanese central bank. But it seems premature to go short on that possibility. That has not stopped 92% of the clients with my broker who have open positions on USD/JPY going short: only 8% are still long.

It’s the difference between trading on possibilities versus trading on probabilities.

4 Likes

I found it interesting that there were 14 bullish pairs and 14 bearish pairs, this one just happened on the 50 / 200 cross daily.

1 Like

another great word by @tommor . :ok_hand:

1 Like

@tommor always appreciate your posts.

Just to confirm your primary requirements are off the daily chart after a NY close.

1. 20EMA is above 50EMA
  2. 50EMA is sloping upwards
  3. 50EMA is above 200EMA

On average how long to these trades stay open?

Thanks in advance.
Todd

My trend-following trades are each open 3-10 days I suppose, though it’s not something I track and log. The losing trades which I have opened right before a correction in the trend hit the SL and close the quickest. I use modest r:r of 1:1 or 1:1.5 so my trades are contiunually closing and I am continually re-entering the same trend. I don’t set time limits on trades to get out of they’re not making progress but sometimes the trend qualty gradually decays so I will get out manually then so I can use a better opportunity on another pair.

1 Like

Always baffles me. Eurusd was in a 2 month, strong downtrend and everywhere I see stats, people are long. The day it turns and goes up, everyone is suddenly short.

I keep reading people saying gold is going up to 2100 and above but the chart is absolutely screaming downtrend. Not to mention fundamentals

1 Like

There is still a huge gap yet to be closed. :wink:

Gaps are meaningless. It doesn’t close a gap more than a month old that’s over 10% below the peak value because that’s what markets do. In this case, it probably will, but not because gaps always close, but because that move up was a panic about war contrary to the fundamentals of the current economic outlook