The Number 13 Thing

This might sound totally daft, but does anyone else have a problem with setting a SL or TP at a figure ending in 13 (£/$/€). I always adjust the total figure to end in 12 or 14. The 13-thing just puts me off! Is this just me?!!

It might not be just you. I mean if enough apparently sane and rational people all believe the same thing at the same time about the same number, it might affect their actions which will definitely affect price behaviour.

e.g. house-builders here usually do not number any house in a new street No.13 - they know they won’t be able to sell it.

1 Like

There a hunting Duck :duck: trading strategy
Why not the number 13 unlucky for some trading strategy :blush:

1 Like

Fibonacci ?

Enough people believe in Fibonacci.

3 Likes

Good point

I think this number 13 thing might be more common than we expect it to be. Many people believe in some kind of superstitions, and with the lack of ability to control sentiments, it becomes more apparent in forex trading. But 13 is a fibonacci number, so it can also balance out the trade at that point.

Of course, 13 is an unlucky number in the west. In other cultures, different superstitions and customs apply.

e.g. in Japanese, the pronunciation of 9 sounds like their word for torture or suffering…

I wonder how long we’ll continue to treat 13 this way. I still look at elevators and see if they have 13th floor…

Many buildings here don’t have 13th. Also if you look at a small hotel and try to find Room 13. Car registration plates often don’t have a 13 in the number.

In other Asian countries, they don’t have both 4 and 13. Must be a pain to deal with when it comes to planning.