The Trader's Arms - Now Open for Business

I think awards get handed out only to those who are brave enough to back their hunches with their cash d-pip, put their money where their mouth is so to speak. But thanks for the thought.

Trying to learn about supply and demand recently. The little I have learned so far has made a difference to my trading even in the last week or two. Still, obviously, a long long way to go, but a tiny little bit of the fog has lifted.

Taking profits too early is still something I’m fighting against, but I’m working on it.

Anyway, that’s me just home from work now so I’m going to bed, hope you all have a good weekend, see you on the other side.

(OoooH, that sounded a wee bit spooky ) See you all Sunday night, or Monday then

HoG

Honest answer is that I don’t know the answer Master Tang. I know they do mini accounts as well as standard, spread betting and micro, but i’ve never seen nano advertised on their site. But then, in fairness, I’ve never looked for it.

Anyway, bed is calling for now, plenty of time to worry about everything else at the start of the new week.

Goodnight

HoG

HoG

Found this a couple days late after it was posted in the blogs… Not sure if you’d already seen it but stumbled across it upon some weekend homework - figured it would interest you
Faith in the SNB: Buying EUR/CHF at Market | Forex Blog: Currency Cross-Eyed

Seems there on the same lines as you…

Only reason I didn’t actually buy 1 lot EUR/CHF sanj is that when I buy a lot of anything, my trading platform sets aside my margin, which is usually around $4. So say my balance is a flat $50, $4 margin set aside, I’m now down to $46 equity + the spread inolved in the trade adds another 2 or 3 pips to this. So that’s already just over 8% of my account “exposed” ( oooohh Mrs )

But because I’ve only bought that trade to set it aside to see what happens, I still need to trade other pairs with what I have left ( which is now just under $46 ). Now say I decide to buy/sell 1 lot EU. My trading platform takes another $4 margin and sets it aside, plus the spread, I’m now down under $42 usable equity. So all together, just to continue to trade, I’d have near enough 10% of my balance tied up.

So while I would love to take a long EUR/CHF and just let it run, unfortunately my account balance right now won’t allow it. Which is a shame, but I’m only 44, plenty of time to trade LOL !! ( or is that tempting fate a little ??? :21:

Anyway, making the family dinner right now as Mrs HoG was unfortunately not blessed when it comes to the culinary side of family life. So after that I’ll get the little one ready for bed and then get to sit in front of the charts and offer up my ramblings for the week ahead.

Talk soon.

HoG

Sunday night again crew and you know what that means. “The time has come to talk of many things. Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings.”

Of course in the original version of Alice in Wonderland, that quote continued, “…and Fibonacci, supply and demand levels and your basic moving averages.” However it was deemed a bit too much for the little ones to take in straight after seeing Alice drink a bottle of drugs and shrink to the size of a mouse, so they left that part out.

But for us, nothing is off limits, so here goes tonight’s ramble.

First up I’d like to throw you all back in time a little to a chart I posted a short while ago, namely this EU Daily:

Simple question. Is the head and shoulders pattern back in play? Does a break of the neck line ( 1-3035 ) open the door lower ?? )

Moving swiftly on before the market opens. Here is the 30 min chart with my new supply watch level marked out. 1-3153 is the very zone in question and if price DOES bounce back up there, I reckon it is, in the words of Status Quo, "Down down, deeper and Down.

Backing my little rally then drop theory up is this 1 hour FXCM Dollar index chart, which to me, shows price sitting at a prior resistance level, looking for a short fall before the big ascent.

So, here, in short, is what I’m thinking from the off. Don’t think we’re getting a huge bounce Asian as Asian never tends to do a great deal. But I reckon RC will get his long before we hit 1-3150 ish and then fall below the neck-line of the daily chart I posted.

Of course this could all be wildly wrong, but just for the record, I’m looking for a long from round about current levels, looking for 1-3115 at least.

Good luck to all this week.

HoG

EDIT: On second thoughts, I’m now actually wondering if there is a long entry closer to the neck line to be had. Spread too big to get in right now anyway, may give it an hour and then see.

Left a long order at 1-3053, stop 1-3030 and target is at 1-3125. I’m not really that sure the order will get filled as I do think there is a little bounce to come before the fall purely on the grounds that I don’t think there is anything too worrying due out news wise that will bother the Euro 'til Tuesday/Wednesday.

Unless that is Spain or Italy causes anything. But I reckon 1-3053 would be a good entry level if it happens.

It would seem not Hog. On the plus side… I’ve picked out a nice tree in my yard to hang myself LOL!!! Here’s hoping the 3008 fractal is in fact the low. To be honest I’ve only just staggard in (04:30) from a night out in London and my stop hasn’t been hit… so could be worse. ‘Ying and Yang’… great night out… poor evening at the races! :smiley:

Morning everyone… Seems GU and EU took a little dive last night, but Sunday night isn’t much to go by…

I’ve got a uni deadline tomorrow and still got loads to do on it, so i don’t think ill be able to get much chart time till Tuesday evening… By then im hoping my bias will be more clear, tbh to me we’re sitting in no mans land, could go either way i think… See where it takes us…

Happy Trading :57:

Is there room for two on that tree RC?? Lost on the week’s opening gambit and given we’ve already moved down half the daily average range and are below mid point between S1 and S2 ( I never think things like to move too far below S2 too often ) I’m wondering how low we go now.

Having said that, there surely has to be a load of stops hiding under 1-30 ???

No doubt that ‘convenient’ little stab down to the 1.2995 would have ran through most stops, and triggered some shorts… Now trapping them all back in last night’s Asian range…

Looked like a barrier breaking operation this morning at 1.30. I took a small long at 1.3006 earlier. Not too confident in it at the moment. EZ equities are starting to roll over into negative territory and periphery bond yield spreads are widening. Will close it out if it doesn’t start working fairly soon.

Just want to share a good quick read ( olsenblog.com )

Is a booklet by Richard Olsen from Oanda, he writes about two things that have helped me to become profitable, trading small sizes and trading bigger time frames.

I hope you kept that open, first look at my charts all day and looks like it would have ended paying off nicely…

Well, we got the move up to 1-3150 after all. Pity I didn’t see the dip before the up move, got stopped out of my long this morning and ended up not getting involved in the stampede north after all.

I suppose it just one of FX’s little frustrations when you think you see a trade and get involved too early, get bumped out only to see things go the way you thought they would originally.

However I know I am neither the first, nor the last, person that will happen to in this business.

Anyway, we’re now up around the 1-3150 area where I wrote last night I thought price would get to before we have a fall. The supply zone I had marked ran between 1-3153 ish to around 1-3175 ish. So it’ll be interesting to see if that area holds or price goes through it in the Asian.

Yep fortunately did. EZ equities were picking up again and US futures were positive so just let it run. Popped up there late in the afternoon for no good reason that I can see but I’ll take it. Closed out at the 62% retracement at 1.3129.

Which platform is this please?

In the true form of a beginner trader, I’m still looking for my niche in life. I’ve settled with 4h as my most comfortable timeframe, yet in the uk my MT4 candles start at 10pm which means at London open I am half way through a candle. Can this be changed through my broker Alpari, should I want to?

Answers on a postcard to…

GG

Netdania - just a charting package only though. I use it as it’s java based so can open it in work. MT4 is blocked for me in work. Prefer Netdania though all in all - nice clean package.

My 4H candles with FXCM start at 10 pm as well GG. Reason being 10 pm GMT is the start of the “new” trading day.

So 4H candle beginnings would go 10pm, 2am. 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10pm.

If you decided on 8H candles, they would go 10pm, 6am, 2pm, 10pm.

They only start bang on with London open on a 1H because a new candle starts every hour on the hour.

HoG

Ive enjoyed your guys banter and thought I would step in with a trade I am eyeing. My trading plan is kind of inline with the things you guys are presenting so I think I will start posting up trades I am watching and take here. Don’t worry I brought my own tea (green macha)hah.

What I am seeing is a nice inside bar forming on the 4hr after price has reached a deep fib retracement from friday’s trading.If the bar closes in the bottom 1/4 I will be looking to short on the next candle if it breaks lower than the IB. The thing that makes me hesitant is the time of day… As you can see the 9th presented essentially the same setup but the asian session took out the IB high where I would want to be placing my stops(good r:r for the 4hr imo). If I take this trade I will have to consider about a 15 pip stop above the high cause I dont want the 9th to be showing me something I should be paying attn toand get stopped out.

http://s7.postimage.org/pd576mo7v/eu_apr16.gif (click for larger image)