The Z Pattern

THe EUR/JPY trade also has a Z pattern on the four hour chart (on forexfactory chart but not cmc markets chart hmmmm) that overlays the 1 hour pattern. :slight_smile:

Asian session here we come hehe

Gold 1H ZP Setup

If entry gets triggered. There is a good possibility that prices bounce higher.

Best

AUDCAD H4 ready for reversal?

EURJPY H12 Z Pattern - but has that spike gone too far and invalidated it? Or would you still play this one?

A/C looking good. E/J spiked a bit too far.

Best

Good afternoon to everyone!

Currently watching the EUR/CAD H4 chart for Z pattern… How’s everyones Z hunting going?

Eur/Jpy 4h Z Pattern Live Setup

This pair has been pushing higher lately. And with a Z Pattern emerging it seems to be a good opportunity to go long.

Best

Eurnzd and Gbpnzd on the 1hr chart- Spotted Z pattern but didnt enter as they were against the larger trend… and guess what? They are up 25pips! :frowning: :@

Hello mate,

When trading a ZP with the trend do you look at the longer term trend i.e the 8 hr if you are looking to enter on the 1hr etc etc? or just the one on the chart you are entering a position on?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Two consecutive 1h counter ZPs. Are pushing prices lower. This trade started off very good but spiked all the way back to entry point after it triggered.

Best

Hi Andrew!

That’s a superb and tricky question(just gave me an idea for an Article there).

I try to explain it briefly;

When you look at any TF chart. You’ll be able to draw a trendline(unless price is consolidating). Now the trendline you drew might make sense on the 8h chart for instance, but not on the daily. That’s totally ok.
You take it from here and hunt for signals on the 8h and below.

Hope I made sense.

Note though Andrew, that there are many oppinions about trendlines and major trends and minor trends. So called macro and micro. I am fully aware of the studies revolving around this technical theory. Despite, I look at trends just like explained above. It’s far more quicker and effective way, and profitable too.

Best

E/J picked up and is pushing higher.

Currently looking for Eur/Gbp longs.

best

After 2 months of evaluating this system I can conclude that in the short term and hindsight it is succesfull. I have had a few successful trades using this system, however I do not think you can live off trading the Z pattern strategy alone as fundamentals like big/small impact news releases seem to outgun most strategies.

Maybe we can make some improvements to this method by adding other forms of validation such as macd/stochastic indicators along with PA analysis at S/R levels. Just my two cents.

I am still trading this system but simultaneously am testing other strategies which I think we beneficial for longer term profits.

Best,

Roni

Totally agree with you! It seems to be a lot of screen time for the rewards you get. I already use S/R Levels with this and have recently incorporated CCI (7) and Stochs (5,3,3) with some success. But the screen time is killing me as it takes me away from my other strategies. Question for all: A few months ago I came across an indicator called the “Z- Pattern Indicator.” At the time I did not know what it was so I ignored it. Now that I am testing this strategy I am curious as to what that indicator did. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find it again. Does anyone know of an indicator that highlights the “Z Pattern” on chart? I would love to see this kind of indicator and a dashboard that tells you what time frame the Pattern is on. That would save a whole bunch of screen time.

Such a shame with this trade below, had everything in my favor yet I was stopped out!!

[B]Fundamentals[/B] are almost always catalysts for [B]explosive moves[/B]. Now [B]ZPs, line up[/B] very well after releases. Giving opportunities to fade the moves or even trade in the anticipated direction. As a reference take a look at these [B]examples[/B];

Eur/Usd 8h Setup on 13th of march '14
30 minutes before this ZP completed. U.S. Retail sales and Initial Jobless claims were relesed. Despite the positive numbers price shot up. Faking traders out of their short trades. Inevitably setting prices up for a neat ZP, which crashed prices lower.

Something more recent;

Usd/Chf 30m Setup 17th of June '14
Building permits and CPI was released. Which was a bit of a mix. But we had a weekly VZ as a short target. We had a strong resistance from the 0.9000 level. The intial ZP gave us a superb opportunity to risk less than 10 pips and squeeze out over 130 pips.

Let’s look at another pair;

Gbp/Nzd 12h Setup 6th of August '14
News releases weren’t high impact for the sterling nore were they good. However we found ourself on top of a triangle formation and resistance at 2.0000 level. ZP hit both profit targets.

[B]Indicators[/B] are good but they’ll also [B]keep you out of good trades[/B]. And not offering much of a winning edge than you’d expect. For instance look at the recent Eur/Jpy 4h trade. Depending on which settings you have on your Stoch. It would have possibly kept you out of this superb trade and the opportunity to rake in over 160 pips!

Last but not least. I wanted to thank Roni,Sparatacus and Andrew,and everyone else, who keep this thread alive and share their experiences with Z Patterns. We are indeed still in our early stages of introducing this trading strategy. Bare in mind that Z Pattern trading brings long term success. Patience,erseverance and love to detail will make you an elite Analyst and Trader.

Best

ps: @roni; it took me an hour to dig deep in my journals to share the trading examples mentioned above. I hope it serves useful in order to understand how Fundamentals and ZPs work side by side.

Best

You could restrict your screen time by scanning your charts at higher TFs. Moreover as you already use S&R. You’d only hunt for patterns once price reached those levels.

No Indi for ZPs, sorry.

Best

I’m sure a good coder could knock up an indicator to scan for Z patterns.

It could even be done as a dashboard…

Surprise me…

Best

Would love to, but unfortunately, I’m not a coder…

In the meantime, of the pairs I monitor, this is the only setup I can see for tomorrow [a couple of other pairs have posted patterns which are tantalisingly close, but not quite proper Z patterns]:

GBPUSD H4

Nice RR on this setup as well…