The Z Pattern

Good morning,

I really like these last points you make.

And its how I want to try to trade too.

Have some mix of factors making you more confident in your decisions and keeping you in the good trades for longer instead of jumping in and out for small gains.

I wont say im there yet (or even close!), but it is my aim.

Happy weekend,

Padraic :slight_smile:

Hi Padraic,

Good day!

Yeah sometimes it pays off to keep the trades for longer.

Happy Weekend to you too.

See you around.

Cheers

That was a setup that occurred over night in the early hours of Friday, and was impossible to catch since I was asleep.

Eur/nzd 1hr Z

It was a big mover and pin pointed the exact turning point on that pair.

Relevant line chart

I wanted to share that setup in order to point out how bigger reversals ignite from smaller timeframes, sometimes.

Wish all the best

Cheers

Gbp/Usd 6hr Z

A Z Pattern has been completed on the 6 hour chart. It is quite rare that two patterns emerge in quick
succession. However I would be looking at this setup as a possible start of a bigger move, rather than
aiming for the span of the pattern.

Relevant Line chart

I wish all the best.

Cheers

Eur/USD 1hr Z,

A new morning with a new setup!
Despite all the jawboning in the coming hours, there are still trades to catch. That is a type of Z that has been
extremely rare lately but could bare the momentum to slam price down.

Relevant Line chart

Is anyone looking to play this one or any other Z setup?

Looking forward and wish all the best!

Cheers

Eur/USD 1hr Z Recap,

The setup played out smoothly and managed easily to hit the classic TP level.
Let’s see where it goes from here.

Wish all the best.

Cheers

I had success on a 4hr aud/usd Z pattern last night. Thanks for the thread! Keep them coming.

[U]Why do Z patterns actually work?[/U]

Price moves in fractals, and like many fractal patterns the Z pattern is one of it’s own kind. This pattern
benefits from strong momentums. It relies on the very move that created it in order to reverse the move.
That is why it’s traded as a reversal pattern.

The mechanics of the markets tend to repeat itself and so does the Z pattern. It has an advantage to
most conventional pattern though. Unlike most patterns that only have one form the Z pattern comes
in various forms. Three of the most common and reliable forms are outlined and explained in the first
page of this thread.

Moreover the pattern emerges in volatile conditions and is best traded under such conditions. One should
bare in mind though that trading under optimal conditions is key in order to make money in these markets.
In general optimal conditions require good volatility like London/US sessions. That is when the Z pattern
gains a very strong momentum too.

Lastly, understanding S/R zones and price anticipation goes a long way in confluence with the Z pattern.
Most swing points ignite from a Z on lower timeframes. Thus traders can capitalize heavily on such signals.

[B]Recap[/B]

The Z pattern is a fractal that repeats on the charts over and over again. I have outlined the three main
Pattern types in the first page of this thread. The pattern carries a strong momentum and is best traded
under optimal conditions that have the potential to reverse the initial momentum. Lastly I mentioned
the importance of bringing price levels and anticipation together with the pattern in order to catch
bigger moves.

I wish all the best.

Cheers

Kasravi,

How about this for a set up? Close enough? Is there a limit to the size of the inside portion of a Z?

and the line chart …

thanks,
Brutus

Hi Brutus,

I took a snap shot of your image and made annotations.

First of all the top of the Z failed to touch your channel, as you can see I wrote a note next to it.

Secondly, the top and bottom of the Z have to be in the same direction and same steepness.
That is why whenever I post a setup I show the direction of the slope of the bottom and top.

But you can validate that very easily with drawing a correct channel.
Have you tried the equidistant channel? It’s a handy tool with the Z pattern I posted a tutorial
on the first page of this thread about it.

I wish you the very best of luck Brutus and don’t hesitate to ask questions!

Cheers

Yes there is, you only want to consider text book Z patterns that fit neatly in the channel.
That’s when you can count on a setup to play out in your favour.

I’m curious to know brutus,do you have an anticipation to go short on Nzd/Jpy?

Cheers

EUR/USD 1HR Z What happened after…

After hitting the classical TP, price stalled a little bit and made a bug rush further down and doubled the gains.
The move was quickly reversed and one would be tight with their s/l level to gain from that short but big momentum.

Wish all the best.

Cheers

Kasravi,

Regarding going short on the nzd/jpy, i was thinking of shorting it in anticipation of a retracement. I wasn’t sure if the Z was there telling me where to put my TP. … Gonna stay away from it now.

Interesting I was looking for a reversal too.But as the chart below shows no entry signals as for now.

NZD/JPY 6H Invalid Z

Price did not manage to close at the channel lines. That might be an indication that price might not turn at that point.
However I keep a closer look on that pair and see what it offers.

Relevant line chart

Wish all the best and a successful trading week.

Cheers

GBP/USD 6H Z Recap

Last week I posted that setup and mentioned that I was anticipating a longer move. Once Price triggered Entries
it moved smoothly far past classical TP. I took first profits and managed the trade properly by leaving the remainder at BE.

Trade management is crucial. Two traders can enter the same trade with the same risk exposure but come out with different results. Taking first profits or going BE once price reached the end of the Z Pattern is a key component of
pocketing profits.

I wish all the best.

Cheers

Good evening,

Is this a potential Z pattern forming on USD/CAD 4 hour?

Once again, I am only seeing these patterns on the 5 day charts and not the 6.

Lets see how this one completes.

Happy Tuesday :slight_smile:

Padraic

PS I hope it is acceptable to add uncompleted patterns. Please let me know if not. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Padraic,

That looks like a neat setup to me. Let’s see how it closes.
It is totally OK to post setups in the making.

I assume you are anticipating a move higher up? Just keep in mind that liquidity is rather low at this time of the night,specially on USD/Cad.

Wish you the best.

Cheers

Good morning :slight_smile:

Yes, I was hoping for a move up which is in line with the daily bias which seems to favour buys after a nice pull back.

Given my time zone I rarely if ever place trades so late in the evening preferring the London open as my trigger.

However looking at that pattern now Im not sure if it stays within the channel exactly although it does seem to be moving higher.

Lets see how it develops.

Happy Wednesday,

Padraic :slight_smile:

Good morning,

USD/Cad fell short to complete a Z pattern. You might have a look at other time frames to get a signal.
As for now I don’t see a valid entry signal.

Thanks for sharing though.

Cheers

Just started reading this thread and decided to go through my charts. Was this a valid setup? It’s in progress right now and going in the direction of the trade.

Ah sorry, should have zoomed in more. It’s the EURCAD H1 chart