Things That Usually Scare Beginners Away

I created this topic because i couldn’t find a topic that addressed the following questions.
Please can someone help me and many others to understand the following?

1. The meaning of the “High” and “Low” usually beside the “Bid” and “Ask”?
  2. How to use Stop loss (SL) and Take Profit (TP)?
  3. What candle candle sticks are saying?
  4. Explanation to all the jargon at “New Order” window?

In a pair like EUR/USD 1.3850/57; if i’m operating on a USD denominated account, what currency am i spending here?

I don’t think I understand the question. Highs and lows are the highest, and the lowest, points price has reached during a period. They are indicated by the upper wicks (high) and lower wicks (low) of each candle. The bid and the ask are the prices your broker is willing to buy and sell you units of a specific pair - the difference between the bid and the ask is the spread you pay as commission for opening the trade.

As in, a purely technical level? They work in the same way: choose a price level; if price reaches that level, the position is closed and you minimize losses and maximize profits.

They tell you the story of price, and the fight between buyers and sellers. We could talk for hours about what they tell you, so I’ll just suggest you head on over the school and complete the course.

Right. So:

Symbol: The currency pair you are placing your order for.

Type: You choose between a market and a pending order. A market order is opened immediately, whereas a pending order is opened automatically once price reaches a specific level of your choosing. Again, go through Babypips’ school to learn more about this.

Volume: The amount of units you are ordering. “1.00” is 100,000 units, “0.10” is 10,000 units and “0.01” is 1,000 units. You can combine them, for example: 2.54 is equal to 254,000 units. Your volume influences the amount of money gained and lost for each pip of movement. Rougly, you’re looking at 10 USD per 1.00, 1 USD per 0.10 and 0.10 USD per 0.01.

Stop loss and Take profit: Price levels for your stop and take profit.

The two numbers below, separated by a slash, are the ask and bid prices.

1 Like

For a good start, be sure to look out for account minimums at the brokerages you investigate. This number usually is set for a reason because it is in the brokerage’s best interest to keep you trading for as long as possible to ensure that they continue to collect commissions. These minimums often are put into place to reduce the risk of you burning up your entire account in just a few trades, or even worse, getting a margin call. In the case of the latter, you would have to deposit more funds into your account in order to keep your current position open.

You’ll find the answers at the free school right here, just go thru at your own pace until you understand

You need to put in a bit of effort yourself. Joining and immediately posting that you can’t find answers is rubbish, you need to look first.

Bob

Bob scares em all lol

on a serious note old mate @giovannicali has summed it up.

But on candlesticks

Candlesticks say nothing. They are an indicator like every other indicator out there available to us.

4 Likes

Hi @learnpipz! Have you checked the School of Pipsology? You’ll learn the basics of forex trading there. :slight_smile: Good luck!

Thank you all! your replies are so helpful. I’m heading over to the SCHOOL i hope to learn a lot.

1 Like

Hi @learnpipz i think you have to try the demo account first to help you understanding what is forex trading. You can try to click all button on mt4 trading platform and check the effect. And also you can try how to open position, place an order, set a stop loss or take profit.