This Week's Question: Based On Your Own Experience, How Different Was Live Trading From Demo Trading?

People often say that “practice makes perfect,” but how does demo trading truly prepare you for the live markets?

Did you find the psychological aspects more challenging? Did you notice a difference in how quickly trades were executed or how the market behaved?

Based on your own experience, how different was live trading compared to demo trading?

9 Likes

There are a huge different between trading a live compare to demo account.

Demo account good for practicing about how to analyze market. It will give a too perfect environment. For beginner, the psychology can be effected mildly. Never use the result from demo account as trading stats.

When we trade a live account, we deal will a lot of thing, like spread, real money loss, liquidity provider and many others. They are accumulate in our head, forming all of fear and greed. Trading a live account requires our responsible decision with our money. One mistake will leading to loss our fund. Pressure will be higher. Once more trading a real market, sometime our position can’t be accurate especially when there are high impact news coming. I haven’t told your platform might freeze due to server latency. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Since one have no fear of really losing money demo trading allows to express freely and take risks, and most of the times surprisingly it pays off.

In live trading, there’s the component of actually losing money., that FEAR, makes things bad. and even when the same risk you took in demo trading, doesn’t pay in live trading. May be psychology, may be bad energy due to fear and anxiety. somehow, it’s very different.

5 Likes

Hmmm/. :thinking: Very different. Tbh, it’s been a few years so it’s a bit hard to remember. :sweat_smile: But one striking difference is that I used to trade more regularly on demo. I used to open a lot of positions since there’s no real money involved. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Agree with all these differences you shared! :smiley: But which one would you say is the biggest difference for you? :smiley:

1 Like

Definitely agree with this! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

The biggest different is the end result. For example you are using MACD as trading indicator. In demo account probably you will see good result. Let say you have profit 10%, with 80% win rate. If you believe in the stats, and using the strategy in live account the result can be different.
Slippage and spread are the common factors. You will probably have win rate around 65% and 2% profit. Thing will get worse when your broker is not an STP type.

1 Like

Hi, I suppose I’m definitely different from the other traders: I feel all kinds of emotions while demo trading, just as if it were real trading! Four years spent alternatively live-demo-live etc, now finally I’ve come to complete my strategy after many many backtests and changes… but my emotions have always been the same. So as for me, I can’t find any difference. But I do realize I’m quite an alien in the trading world :grin: By the way, am I the one?

2 Likes

Big difference. Demo trading comes with everything but the psychological reward.

1 Like

Started trading demo with $1000 I grew the account to $35,000 Why? No fear, No hesitation, I didn’t leave no money on the table… No Emotions to my trading, only logic.

I started a real account with $1,000 and I blew all in less than 2 weeks.

Trust me it is different.

2 Likes

You said you have been trading for years, are you in profit?

@ayodimej1 And the psychological fear of loss…

Whoa. this is big! May I ask Did you recover?

The demo was a place for me to practice my strategies, and I dealt with the emotional aspects during live trading.

2 Likes

For me … different experiences with different brokers.
some have exact conditions and executions on demo as well as live… however some have insane slippage on live accounts.
Psychologically i trade on Demo accounts just like i would trade on live accounts with real money… so no difference on that front.

Switching from demo to live trading was a whole different ballgame for me. The pressure of real money definitely added a layer of stress. In demo trading, I was all cool and experimenting, but with live trading, every decision felt weightier.

1 Like

Different mindset… Losing actual money vs no-consequence / no- risk money.

Also Many strategies, entry points that works and profitable in demo trading ends up losing in real trading.

Live trading differs from demo trading in several ways: real-money involvement adds emotional and psychological elements that aren’t present in demo trading; market execution and slippage can affect results differently, and managing risk with real capital required a more discipline approach than in a simulated environment.

As I trade with bots, emotions are not an issue for me. But even with bots, the results and statistics from the demo account must never be transferred to the live account. The profit on the live account will then be slightly lower and the drawdown slightly higher. However, the overall performance remains at its best.

There is only one point that a bot trader needs to bear in mind: Hands off the bot! Let it do its job!

I have already had one or two experiences where I would have been better off not intervening! :smiley: