Trading has a funny way of changing how you look at money.
A $100 loss might have felt huge when you started. Now, maybe you see it as just another part of the game. Or perhaps trading has made you more protective of your money, more patient with it, and less interested in chasing every opportunity.
The numbers may be the same, but your relationship with them can change completely.
How has trading changed the way you think about money?
2 Likes
I used to see money only one way: $1,000 is a lot of money.
Now, I see money two ways:
-
$1,000 is a lot (in terms of everyday expenses)
-
$10,000 isn’t a lot (because I’ve studied investing and read about trades/deals that people do)
When investing and you’re trying to make working class life-changing money, a $10,000 account/principle is just a decent start.
Houses cost $250k. If you wanna do a real estate deal, $10k won’t get you anywhere. Or if you wanna deposit money with a fund manager, you won’t get much profit back after one year with $10k.
So basically, I see money in two ways: everyday expenses, and investing.
For me the biggest shift was how I look at a loss. When I first started, losing around $100 made me feel scared of the market and lose motivation, I didn’t even want to look at it anymore. Now it’s gotten a bit better, I see it more as a cost of doing business, something that falls within the risk I’ve already planned for 
What I’ve noticed is that the change isn’t really about the dollar amount, it’s about trying not to attach emotion to individual numbers anymore, and instead looking at overall performance across a series of trades.
1 Like
I was taught to save money and be cautious with expenses since I was a kid, so the nurture was already shaping attitude to money. I’ve started first “adventures” with stock market before I was 18yo, so I can say that my attitude toward money was somehow impacted by trading few years before getting my first full time job salary 