This Week's Question: Trading and "Self-Care" Tips - What Do You Do If You're Having a Bad Day?

We can’t all have great days and when those bad days do happen - bad trading day, terrible personal news, or just feeling crummy in general… what do you do to feel better? Do you have any go-to routines that usually work to brighten your mood?

If you were to give tips to a friend having a really bad day, what would you recommend them to try?

2 Likes

Talking to your partner, and asking them to talk to you. This is probably rare for anyone married over 30 years, but my partner has that very unusual ability to absorb my anger, take away my negative thoughts and just be there for me for the past 33 years. Without a doubt, the best antidote for a bad hair day ever.

:star_struck:

8 Likes

Physical excercise is agreat way of diffusing negativity - go for a strong 25 minute walk - clears the mind almost every time !

4 Likes

Go out and celebrate. Enjoy your time.

2 Likes

That’s true! We all have bad days sometimes…
Something that I find helpful is working out, listening music and after that, watching a movie or a tv show to distract myself.

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

First step is close all your charts and stop trading for the day.

Just let it go. Whatever losses there were, forget about it. It’s gone. It’s over. Go do something else. Watch tv, talk to someone (not about trading), go out somewhere. Clear your head.

4 Likes

Hi there
A bad day, well define a bad day, 1 loss is not a bad day, but, a few is a bad day, so I would advise them to stop trading for the day, do 1 of three things.

1. Walk away, go and do something fun, water the garden, watch a comedy or have coffee with a friend and vent.
  2. Stop trading, go and re-analyse why it was a bad day, why did you take those trades and why did it go wrong, the worst you can do is revenge trade, you will lose more.
  3. Read a book, watch a you tube vid or something to educate yourself on your mistakes, why you made them, re-look at your strategy, go and back test it and ensure you are sticking to the rules. i mean, your strategy has been back tested right?

Good luck and always remember, half the battle is trading psychology
Alan

4 Likes

I would recommend getting out. Whether that’s for a walk, run or bike ride, getting out in the fresh air can give you some clarity. I love getting out with the dog for a good walk when things get too much.

4 Likes

Close my laptop or stop trading, go out on my trading room then take time to my passion or talking with my family…

4 Likes

Sometimes I like to spend some time alone, either watching tv, listening to music, or doing something that I enjoy. If weather is nice, I might go for a walk outdoors. Other times it helps me to get out of the house and to go do something, like getting a cup of coffee or buying something small for myself. If my husband is off work, we go out to lunch together. This helps me with bad trading days or just bad days in general.

3 Likes

Bad days will always happen when trading and you won’t be able to get around it. With my strategy, I know on average when I place 100 trades, I am going to lose 40 trades and of those 40, I am going to lose 5-7 in a row, which can equate to thousands of dollars. The most important thing to remember is to keep your cool and have a tested strategy that you know works. This way, you can keep emotions out of the mix. If you want to succeed in trading for the long term, you absolutely must know your numbers in and out!

Hope this helps anyone!

4 Likes

Very easy, just stop trading for the day. Come back again tomorrow

3 Likes

Simply take a break. :star_struck::star_struck::coffee: To enjoy.

2 Likes

Simplesmente pare. Saia da frente da tela, esfrie a cabeça e só volte quando estiver bem e motivado novamente. E não necessariamente o dia seguinte é o dia ideal pra retornar. As vezes é necessário mais de um dia de arrefecimento.

Just wondering why the post by Verialdo has been temporarily blocked? This is a google translation:

Just get out of here. Get out of the front of the screen, cool your head and only come back when you’re well and motivated again. And not necessarily the next day is the ideal day to return. Sometimes it takes more than one day of cooling.

6 Likes

This is KEY!!! Sometimes, you just gotta be honest with yourself that what you’re doing is wrong.

It doesn’t mean quit. It just means to make some adjustments.

2 Likes

A quick nap is my escape, the only way of shutting my mind down.
People who don’t like to exercise should try this . Lol.

3 Likes

There aren’t really special things I do if I’m having a bad day but there are things I avoid -
personal; decision-making
difficult phone calls to ask for special treatment in some matter
significant conversations with a partner
driving in busy traffic

One thing I do try to do if I have a bad experience is find a way to be exceptionally helpful / polite / kind to the next person I come across. Their response nearly always restores the spiritual balance, but I feel good about it anyway.

4 Likes

I believe in this BUT this only works if you’re not too upset. If it’s a really bad day, sometimes it’s even difficult to muster up the energy to even do anything else. Would hate to bring that mopey energy around.

1 Like