This Week's Question: What was the Biggest Amount You've Lost from Trading and What Lesson Did You Learn From It?

This week’s question will require us to take a (hopefully not too painful) trip down memory lane.

Completely okay if you don’t want to drop the amount details, we can do ranges instead! Are we talking 5-digit losses? Maybe about $50? $2? Whatever the biggest amount has been in your entire trading experience!

How did you lose that much and what lesson did you learn from it?

4 Likes

Lost $96 2022 new year riding the fundamental release with Silver. I wanted to settle some bills, i saw x2 what i was looking for and lost it all in same news - made $96 trading the news, lost $96 same hour trading same news.
I’ve never ride the news release ever since then.

5 Likes

$38 bucks. Not a lot of money, but on a small account, it was over 10% of my account balance at the time. I’ve still got that skill of picking market tops and bottoms and trading in the complete opposite direction with no SL!!!

2 Likes

I regard it’s money well spent to learn by the mistakes I made. .

A few years ago I got a £700 Christmas bonus from work. I used that to open a forex trading account and joined a Telegram chat that promised to give buy/sell, S/L and T/P signals. So with no trading experience or knowledge followed these signals. On the morning of day one my account was up £200. That afternoon I told my wife I was on a winner here and I should seriously think about leaving my day job to pursue my new found money making scheme.

Then, on the morning of day two reality hit my account with a £500 loss. That afternoon I withdrew my remaining £400 and assessed what went wrong. Firstly I noticed that this Telegram chat was giving lots of buy/sell, S/L and T/P signals. However, they then only posted about the winning trades and showcased how much money those trades made. They weren’t transparent enough to post the outcome of the losing trades. I found out the hard way, the strategy they were using produced more losing trades than winning and people like myself were losing money.

I’ve since spent the last few years training and learning trading and I’m still not yet trading real money until I feel my skills warrant me doing so. Also, now I look back I think that these idiots were probably trading demo accounts rather than real money, so they could afford to loss as it wasn’t real money. Lesson learnt. DON’T FOLLOW OTHER IDIOTS SIGNALS.

4 Likes

I’d lost $1700 a good lesson to never trade on Nonfarm payroll day.

4 Likes

I lost $498 and learn to:

1. Not to overtrade

2. Not to trade all my money

3. Not to work with unregulated brokers

5 Likes

One of the biggest lessons I learned from a significant trading loss was the importance of managing risk and maintaining discipline. It was a tough experience, but it taught me valuable lessons that have shaped my approach to trading. The loss was substantial, and it made me realize that overextending myself and not setting proper stop-loss orders can have devastating consequences. It highlighted the significance of having a well-defined trading plan and sticking to it, even in volatile market conditions.

Another crucial lesson I learned was the importance of emotional control. Trading can be an emotional rollercoaster, and it’s easy to make impulsive decisions when driven by fear or greed. This experience taught me the value of staying calm and objective, even when faced with significant losses or gains.

Lastly, this loss emphasized the need for continuous learning and adapting to market dynamics. I took the time to reflect on my trading strategy and sought to improve my knowledge and skills. It led me to explore risk management techniques, diversify my portfolio, and expand my understanding of different market indicators.

While it was a painful experience, the lessons I learned from that significant trading loss ultimately made me a more disciplined and resilient trader. It’s crucial to view losses as opportunities for growth and to continuously refine our approach to the ever-changing world of trading.

5 Likes

in trades i lost 400 lev (about 250 dollars) in 3 trades and 2 hours of my first account i just clicked on different things and i lost money and i learned that it is not like gambling
but it was good one
i spent 800 lev to buy 2 ea that i see in instagram they said it can make 40% profit in one month and i paid money but they were fake and bad and then i never paid for eas

2 Likes

Hello Ana!
Well it was not the biggest loss but I will call that the best loss!
I lost about 82 bucks since I did not set an SL and also I did not let the trade reach my TP and I increased that!
Honestly, it was the biggest free lesson I’ve got in the whole market. To trust my analysis and not change them during the trade!
Best Luck

3 Likes

Back in April 2021, a few months after I started with real money, I decided go long on a cryptocurrency - 0x. After having some nice newbie profits, flipping 100 euro to 200, I realized that I am such a good trader and decided to not set a stop loss. :smiley: One day I woke up, opened the chart and saw the P/L to be at floating negative 30 euro :smiley: Of course, I was sure that the price will go up. Well, eventually decided to close it at 70euro loss which wiped the most of the profits.
Since then, I always set a stop loss and try not risk more than 1%. And rarely look at crypto.

2 Likes

$530. Lost 250$ when I first started trading. Lost the other $280 just last month. But I’ve learnt my lessons :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It was about 24 years back - known as the dot com bubble - wikipedia it.

The monetary loss was about 150k USD - in a bubble it is impossible to see the burst - but it comes.

Lesson - look to your trading from the outside - never follow the herd, think for yourself.

Hi There, it was in October 2020. I had opened 2 sell position on Brent and WTI and was expecting it to close in a day or 2 and get at least 200%. It was during American elections. That’s when the news for the vaccine was announced and oil shot to greater heights. I lost more than $10 000 dollars and it was very painful. I judged myself a lot on that loss. I took a 2 weeks break to process it and try to find ways to ‘get my money back’ :rofl: :rofl:. I came back and lost some more. I then decided to calm down and reassess what had happened.

I realised I was not ready to trade big amounts. I didn’t know what I was doing initially and I needed to learn a lot to then be able to trade successfully. At the time of loss, I treated trading as a get rich quick scheme. I also didn’t have a trading strategy, I didn’t have risk management skills neither did I know how best to protect my capital. I was also ovetrading - opening too many positions at one time which diluted my attention and analysis on trades.

After processing it, I went back and traded while losing but without feeling the pain, it was a learning process. In total, I lost $16 000. Now I am back in the market. I funded my account in January this year and I have be trading steadily since then. I am making steady profits, I am not in a hurry and I enjoy the process.

I also learned to find my favorite assets to trade, zero in on those few. I also don’t trade big news. I wait to trade afterwards. My positions are not big amounts usually 2% of my capital. I am not margin trading which also limits my risk. Overall, I am doing better than before. Trading has taught me a lot.

2 Likes

I haven’t gone live yet, but I’ve already lost $50 on a demo.
What is the takeaway? Stop being greedy and exit your lost positions.

2 Likes

In the previous fiscal year, I suffered a net capital loss of $15,000, followed by an additional $6,000 loss in the current period. Nevertheless, I have effectively implemented risk management techniques by reducing my position sizes, thereby internalizing a crucial lesson. Although the emotional toll was substantial, I have adeptly transformed this setback into a valuable learning experience. It is an undisputed fact that no trader can attain mastery without encountering losses along the way.

Furthermore, I have come to a profound realization that achieving consistency as a trader necessitates a time horizon spanning approximately 5 to 6 years. This journey towards consistent profitability demands diligent study of trading literature and the potential guidance of a knowledgeable mentor. Absent these vital components, the pursuit of profitable trading becomes an enduring endeavor characterized by protracted time frames and considerable hardship. It is imperative to acknowledge that the realization of one’s goals as a profitable trader requires unwavering commitment and a willingness to endure the challenges that lie ahead.

1 Like

$600 trading Tron, that asset is scamming traders.
Now I’m breaking even from that event.

It’s called “holding unto hope”. :slightly_smiling_face:

I lost $300 over the course of one year. Started out with $250 and made $50 on Oil but I didn’t know what I was doing. Got bored with the longer timeframes and experimented with the M5 and M15. Lesson learnt was to do more research before entering the market. This is how I found BabyPips then I took the course. It’s taught me alot. Now I’m learning to trade by relying on Price Action and a couple non-standard indicators. One for support/resistance and the other for trendlines. It makes for a cleaner chart and quicker analysis.