This Week's Question: When Was the Last Time You Avoided Trading and Why?

Some say that sometimes, no trade is the best trade. In fact, @drpipslow wrote about this topic:

Perhaps another thing we can add is that one should probably avoid trading if they’re not in an emotionally stable condition.

If you’ve ever avoided actively trading within the last year or so, tell us your experience!

Why did you decide to sit on the sidelines? Was it due to personal reasons or did you have rules in place that triggered the break e.g. losing streak?

3 Likes

Excellent question and far more important than the tiny nuanced details of entry signals from exotic candlestick patterns etc.

I stay out when the TA does not confirm with 2 or 3 or 4 supportive pieces of evidence on the chart that a consistent trend is in effect.

4 Likes

Apart from when there are big events that I think could make markets go either way :sweat_smile:, I sometimes avoid trading after a loss brought about by my impatience or letting my emotions get to me as some sort of punishment. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I was going back and forth about a trade right now. I was long for a few days, moved my SL to BE, then price reversed. I switched to short just now, and I wasn’t sure at all.

I read this thread and decided to just sit it out until price hits some S/R. If I’m not sure, it’s ok to stay out.

So, that’s what I did. Entering a trade is no big deal, but waiting for a FAVOURABLE setup is a whole other bag of potatoes.

Now that I think about it, since I moved my SL to BE, I could have just waited to see if price continued in my favor. Oh well.

I decided not to trade a signal for a pair that had a strong correlation with a pair I was already in.

Last time I stayed out was today. None of the patterns I like to see were there, simple as that. One was tempting though, but I refrained because it looked a bit too choppy for me. The decision to stay out when conditions are not optimal requires patience and discipline and it is a very important one. I forget which wise trading pundit wrote this (surely someone here will know): “no position IS a position”. It’s at the top of my rules, I cannot be reminded enough.

4 Likes

I’m gonna remember this one!! Thanks!

2 Likes

My rule-ish used to be that if I had a losing streak (3+ losing trades), I will pause from trading for like a week or two. I haven’t done that with my last losing streak and thankfully I broke that today. :pray:

1 Like

All.forms of betting IE spread betting on markets

Think it’s wise after a big loss but also after a big WIN too

Fortune has a habit of changing abruptly

Two week’s ago during the interest rate decision. 100 pip spikes on the 5 min. How the heck do you trade that kind of volatility?

1 Like

Dito! Thought I was the only one who does that, I get pretty angry with myself.

1 Like

Hahaha! :sweat_smile: Glad someone goes through the same thing. :sweat_smile: If you don’t mind, once you step back or avoid trading, what convinces you to get back in again? Do you also give yourself a time period where you’re not allowed to trade?

1 Like

For me I just cut right back on my lot size and wait and chill for awhile not stress, that way I don’t care which direction it’s going because I’m not expecting much from the trade or constantly watching it. If my tiny size continues in my direction great if not I get a chance to add another trade when the real set up appears.