Thought-provoking quotes

Exactly! One cannot trade with insufficient capital. It is important to balance the pursuance of profit with the protection of one’s resources…

"“He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.”…But “Who wishes to fight must first count the cost.” - Sun Tzu

1 Like

Abraham Lincoln:

“Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.“

1 Like

The aggressive part is what’s missing for me. If I were more aggressive, I’d catch more wins. I’m working on it, though…
It’s all a process.

Anyone else struggle with being more aggressive in the market?

1 Like

Yep, preparation is 90% of the work, the rest is just going through the motions (and counting the profits! :smiley: )

2 Likes

Is waiting part of the 90 per cent

2 Likes

Yes, it is important BUT…“aggressive” is not the same thing as “reckless”. This does not mean taking more and riskier trades. In my opinion, it means having confidence in one’s strategy and clarity in its signals and then taking the trade with confidence and full measure within the bounds of one’s risk parameters.

It means not hesitating and doubting whenever the charts “line up”. That might sound simple and obvious but it is not easy after a series of losses. For example, after a loss of x units on one trade it is tempting to only take a half position on the next. But that is not a good tactic with a strategy that is performing. It only serves to destroy the long term profitability by weakening the wins. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: Well, yes, in my opinion! Is waiting at red traffic lights part of driving? :slight_smile:

But with the caveat that it is waiting in the sense of disciplined stalking, watching for the right moment - and knowing what one is waiting for! :smiley:

2 Likes

You always say the correct things Sovo like some sort of spiritual master :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Haha! That’s not what my wife says! :slight_smile:

'“You always have every right to agree with me” - my dear wife :smiley:

2 Likes

The quote simplifies trading beautifully but maybe you have to have abit of experience under one’s belt to truly grasp it

1 Like

I think you are absolutely right here.

In my opinion, there are basically two types of approach in trading: mechanical and discretionary.

With mechanical, there is no thinking involved, you just follow the rules or use an EA etc. Success is purely based on success rate over time.

But discretionary is different. It has another important layer. In this case, the strategy only offers the suggestion but it is the trader who makes the assessment and final decision. And this is precisely where experience comes in. One reason why demo accounts can be so useful. It is also why journalling and post-trade analysis can be so helpful.

2 Likes

Sovo alot of the purest on here knock day trading practically say it s impossible but you evolve as a day trader, like most things in life to be competent it takes years of experience

2 Likes

I think every kind of approach has its advantages and disadvantages and finding what approach suits a trader best depends as much, maybe even more, on the traders themselves.

It is a funny thing, like most people I have investments in various shares and funds and, to be honest, I rarely even look at them, they are long term. But if I try to take a trade with the intention of holding it for a week or two, I am looking at it every hour!!! :joy: - and it will rarely still be there the next day!!

I accepted years ago that I am a day trader and that is the only trading that suits my character.

But one of the greatest difficulties for day-traders is maintaining discipline and patience. By definition, we are closely looking at the market constantly and we are expecting trades to appear every day and even frequently intraday. This expectancy tends to lead to “forcing” set-ups to appear or pre-empting them.

It can also build damaging emotional scenarios when things go wrong that can easily lead to revenge trades and reckless position size.

Personally, my day-trading consists of only the US market and looking for 1 or 2 trades at most. It is also important to recognise that some days are always going to be quiet or erratic and are best left alone e.g. national holidays, pre major events, etc.

But the joy of day trading is that you are only trading when you want to and carry no stress over weekend or even nights, and much less risk of getting caught in a “black swan” type disaster! It is also a major difference that the day’s profits are already banked and not sitting in an open position that could change any time.

I don’t care about continuing trends etc. I just pick up the prices wherever they are at the next day’s open and decide what I think is likely to happen and then wait for the short term signals to tell me when to “wake-up”. Whatever happens with the first trade of the day defines whether a second trade might be lurking ahead…

1 Like

1 Like

I can relate with you here. The company I work for started a group sharing RRSP a few years ago. I contribute a certain amount each pay period and the company matches it up to a certain percentage of my wages. I look at it maybe twice per year because I know in my head it’s a long term investment.

Do you ever hold losing trades overnight if you feel they’ll turn in your favour?

I like the idea of short term, or day trading, but it has never worked out too well for me. However, I have not spent that much time with it.

1 Like

Yes I agree , at first what seems exceptionally difficult with experience becomes easier a superficial analogy I suppose is gaming .Seeking trends in Forex I find extremely difficult

1 Like

Matty I know roughly how old you are that similar to daytrading

1 Like

No.
I think a lot of people imagine day trading as sitting staring at a screen all day watching tick charts or 1min timeframes and scalping multitudes of trades. Maybe some do actually do that, but I would think an EA would handle that better than a human.

My main TF is 1H. But against an overall background scenario formed from daily/4H TFs. So I only check on the market on the hour and sometimes not even that much is the market seems a long way from a signal (e.g. a mature hourly move starting to fade and waiting for a turn or a continuation). So that is no strain. ´

Whenever the hourly chart shows a new move starting I then (and only then) drop to the 15min chart and wait for the right timing and level. Then the trade is set with its target and stoploss - and the market does the rest…and if it happens to still be open towards the close then I close the position.

I don’t think the process is actually much different to swing trading or longer. But the psychology is very different and that is maybe where some people find it stressful.

2 Likes

I can’t quite figure out what you mean here. How does my age relate to day trading?

I work full time, which is another reason I swing trade.

1 Like

It’s not based on fact but what your say in your posts so you could say it about perception maybe intuitive

After years of looking at charts daily it becomes more instinctive

3 Likes