Through the glass darkly

Seems the market sold off just after my exit. In some ways it is satisfying to exit near a peak, but not really when the close is from intuition rather than a pre-planned target level. This kind of “lucky” exit only creates uncertainty and weakens one’s confidence in reading the price.

But it did underline one thing: my ongoing belief that the SP500 is currently best traded from the short term charts 1H - 15/5m. Looking at this chart, I could have also sold the break/close through the band on the downside (red circle) and doubled my day’s profits in a very short time! - But I didn’t! :neutral_face:

1 Like

We currently have a global situation that I have never personally experienced before and nor have the majority of the world’s current leaders.

It is now all about compromise. Compromise itself is usually a powerful, positive and effective way to move forward in business, politics, and any normal negotiation situations. But this compromise that the globe is now facing is so very different!

The world’s leaders are juggling with two major priorities, neither of which should be compromised, and whatever decisions are made, will have a negative impact on them both.

On one hand we have the lives and general health of people exposed to coronavirus. This concern is, in itself, a major responsibility for any government on behalf of their nation. The rising number of deaths is horrendous and every effort should obviously be made to minimise the situation. But one can also argue that in terms of a nation’s overall well-being, the numbers are really insignificant. We lose just as many in car accidents, minor military skirmishes abroad, cancers and other major diseases and so on, without shutting down the country. Trouble is, no one dares to predict how devastating the virus would become if allowed to run free (except maybe in Sweden!).

Against that priority, we have the economic welfare of the various states. And this is also a major responsibility of any government on behalf of their nation. As has been said in the US: “the solution cannot be worse than the problem”. We have seen depressions and recessions many times and always the world has re-emerged and moved on. But rarely has the global economy run into a brick wall and almost stopped in its tracks. There is little doubt that we will emerge and recover - but at what cost and with what reordering of the global power structure?

We have already seen agreement of huge domestic aid packages by governments and a lot of pressure and argument for additional huge aid packages for foreign nations such as the developing countries and EU worst-hit areas. All of which are a huge future burden on rising economies and future working people.

So governments need to compromise: How do we minimise deaths, minimise risk of a 2nd cycle, minimise the impact on the economy and health services, minimise the costs that will be borne by future generations, and, at the same time, optimise and facilitate a quick return to stability and renewed growth?

Health of the individual v. health of the nation?

We have lived through the immediate dramatic impact of widespread lock-downs. We are now seeing a levelling off of new infections and death rates, and we are entering the stage of governments planning and projecting the lifting of restrictions and resuscitating their economies.

The US cannot, and will not, be seen to be the last nation to start reviving - and I think that is what we are seeing reflected in the SP500 performance.

This hourly chart shows the strong upmove at the end of last week as well as yesterday’s actions. There were two buy entries yesterday (arrowed and ringed in red), both of which followed compression periods into the band or “cloud” beneath the current price movements (blue rectangles). Both retracements saw no follow-through on the down side and re-emerged from the band on the upside - with good, tradeable follow-through.

Where do we go from here? Well, currently we are at the highs reached last week (green rectangle) and that may well run into some profit-taking from overnight trades. We may also see a retesting of the 50% retracement at around 2790. But with such a widely noted Fib retracement of the total down move since it started in February, then there are surely many eyes on the 0.618 retracement above the market at around 2930.

We have already passed above the 200SMA on the 4-hour and weekly levels, but NOT on the daily yet. That, to me, suggests we are still in a broad corrective stage of the major sell-off and that points to continued volatility in both directions.

But, whilst we remain in the optimistic state of mind that the peak is over, and the emphasis remains on how and when to remove restrictions and kick-start the economies back into action, then I favour the upside.

I think the biggest negative threat is the possibility of a second wave after removing restrictions - and for that we need to keep watch on China.

Another unknown concerns the spread of coronavirus in other major economies like Russia, India and Africa, as well as the global slum areas, refugee camps, and any other major locations with masses of people in close proximity with limited health and hygiene facilities. If coronavirus breaks out in these areas in a big way then there is no idea of what impact that will have on the current frail state of the rich nations.

We are not in the clear yet…

2 Likes

Well we did go down and test that level and bounced a little off it. I bought it but decided, since it is so lifeless at present, to grab a few green pips and see if we can drop a little lower when the US comes in. But if we race off on the upside without me I will be “a little disappointed” :smiley:

Today’s SP500 price action went pretty much as anticipated above but the upside was so erratic that i ended up with a whole host of mini trades instead of one buy and hold. A bit messy but a net result of +300 plus pips so i am happy with that.

But this is depressing reading from the IMF, and i can’t help thinking that even the “eternally optimistic” US stock market can’t beat the entire global trends:

And here we are today back around the 2800 level - continuing our current view and strategy of high volatility, erratic price movement and short term trades. This is typical of broadly consolidating markets following significant moves.

From Marketwatch:

“U.S. stocks are attempting to recover from their most recent lows of late March, but the recent market gyrations, even with Tuesday’s positive swing, highlight why this coronavirus-stricken market is one of the most volatile since the 2007-09 financial crisis.”
“Tuesday’s 3% moves marks the 23rd move of at least 3% in either direction for the index, matching such moves in all of 2009, according to Dow Jones Market Data.”

Scary? or golden opportunities for trading…

Some background info on S&P500 index (drawn from thebalance.com):

The S&P 500 index was introduced on March 4, 1957.

The index tracks the market capitalisation of the companies included in the index. Market capitalisation is the total value of all shares of stock that a company has issued. It is calculated by multiplying the number of shares issued by the stock price.

A company’s inclusion in the index is weighted according to its capitalisation. For example, a company that has a market capitalisation of $100 billion receives 10 times the representation compared with a company whose market capitalisation is $10 billion.

As of February 2020, the total market capitalisation of the S&P 500 wass $24.4 trillion. It captures 80% of the market capitalisation of the stock market.

A committee selects each of the index’s 500 corporations based on their liquidity, size, and industry. It rebalances the index quarterly, in March, June, September, and December.

To qualify for the index, a company must be in the United States, have an unadjusted market capitalisation of at least $8.2 billion. At least 50% of the corporation’s stock must be available to the public. Its stock price must be at least $1 per share. It must file a 10-K annual report. And at least 50% of its fixed assets and revenues must be in the United States.

It must also have at least four consecutive quarters of positive earnings.

The stock must be listed on the New York Stock Exchange, Investors Exchange, Nasdaq, or BATS Global Markets.

As of March 13, 2020, the 10 largest companies, with a weighted market cap, in the S&P 500 were:

Microsoft Corp.

Apple Inc.

Amazon[.com] Inc.

Facebook Inc. A

Berkshire Hathaway B

Alphabet Inc. A (GOOGL)

Alphabet Inc. C (GOOG)

JP Morgan Chase & Co.

Johnson & Johnson

Visa Inc. A

As of March 13, 2020, the S&P 500 sector breakdown includes:

Information Technology: 24.4%

Health Care: 14%

Financials: 12.2%

Communication Services: 10.7%

Consumer Discretionary: 9.9%

Industrials: 8.9%

Consumer Staples: 7.2%

Energy: 3.6%

Utilities: 3.5%

Real Estate: 3.1%

Materials: 2.5%1

This short video provides a dramatic visual presentation of how quickly deaths from Covid-19 has risen to become the biggest daily killer in the US. Watch to the end - it is a short video:

Here we are still around this 2800 level 50% retracement. I guess US Jobless claims will be the focus today - even though it is huge but meaningless in the current climate. Everyone knows that it is a big number and why, the more important factor behind that is when the US opens up for business again - and that is something Mr Trump is very keen and very vocal about (in spite of reservations from some state governors).

So I still prefer the upside overall, but it is not a clear-cut move up yet. My Daily and 4H charts are positive but the short term is neutral.

Yesterday was a quiet day with a relatively tight range and going nowhere - these are precisely the kind of days on which I tend to do badly, and yesterday was no exception. After 3 trades and a net minus 200 points, I retired for the day. In hindsight I should have also kept an eye on the 5min chart - have to remember that in future…

Any rise in the SP500 index is fighting a tough battle in trying to maintain a positive anticipation of a near-term return to work. But when considering the incredible negativity of recent releases it is surprising that it is not through the floor! – which in a very twisted way is quite encouraging!

The jobless claims was pretty much in line with expectations at a huge 5.2 million last week, But, according to Reuters, that takes the latest four-week total to 22 million, which wipes out nearly all of the 22.442 million jobs created since November 2009. However, the situation is mainly seen as a temporary blip which will soon disappear as companies start operations again.

Additional dramatically negative news came in the form of the Philadephia Fed’s manufacturing index, which fell to a reading of -56.6, the lowest reading since July 1980.

The gloomy outlook for global economies and the anticipation of a growing oil glut again reflected in continuing weak oil prices.

Short term trading has been again very whippy today, but when it is expected then it is possible to trade it accordingly. Taking queues off the 1-hour chart and using the 5min chart to fine-tune the entries and exits produced three fine trades in the +100 to +200 range. That’s a recovery of yesterday’s minus and some nice extra.
But I must admit, I find tracking these 5 min charts exhausting these days! Hopefully, as the market yet again rises towards that 2790 level, a new trend will start soon… :roll_eyes:

At last! The upside prevailed overnight and we have seen a good new chunk to the overall uptrend. An uptrend which is starting to make the overall situation look more and more like a “V” shaped recovery. Yesterday was one of the most neutral days I have seen on SP500 charts with my entire MA band on the 1-hour chart converging into almost one straight line across the page.

GOOD, BETTER, BEST
When looking at how we are most likely to emerge from the Coronavirus lockdown and economic freeze, there are perhaps three major routes:
GOOD= The spread of the virus naturally declines and populations start to gain natural immunisation against renewed outbreaks - and the governments start to lift restrictions and breathe new life into their economies - this we are starting to see happening globally and Mr Trump’s 3-phase guidelines for the US opening helped push up the market last night.

BETTER= An even better route would be the launch of an effective vaccine against the virus. But the implementation of this would be delayed due to the need for clinical testing beforehand and the logistics of producing on a scale sufficient for global application.

BEST= Instead of a preventative vaccination, a better solution would be provided by an effective cure. And markets were also helped overnight by news of a potential COVID-19 treatment from Gilead Sciences. Early clinical tests on a small scale have shown rapid recoveries in fever and respiratory symptoms.

The irony with Covid-19 is that most people do not suffer seriously from it. But for a minority it is a serious disease with a high-risk of mortality. Therefore restrictions have to cover everyone to protect the few. But if a cure (rather than a prevention) can be developed then it would facilitate a quick return to open society and economies with a much lower stock requirement globally to treat those who do suffer badly.

But we are not the yet.

In the meantime, many countries are starting to lift restrictions and others will probably soon do the same, not wanting to be left behind.

For today, I am first looking for some kind of pull-back towards last night’s close and maybe then look to buy. But it is always difficult after a sudden move, the sensible stops are so far away and no one wants to get caught “buying the highs”.

China also produced “bad news” confirming that its economy shrank for the first time since at least 1992 because of the coronavirus outbreak and tough containment measures. But markets are fully aware that this kind of news is looking backwards through the rear view mirror and what we really want to see are signs of recovery - and this came in the form of the US plans for re-opening the country and hopes of a cure. But are these “concepts”, rather than facts, already now priced into the market - for now?

In the meantime, while we are watching a slow drift off in prices, as anticipated, here’s all you need to know about Covid-19 and Remdesivir - (from a non-doctor):

Well we got our pullback to last night’s close - now to see if it is followed with a buy signal…on the other hand, if we see an hourly close back below last weeks’s high at 2815, then it will look like the recent positive news is disregarded and may well lead to further selling…

That’s a crazy stat! Sounds like bitcoin.

1 Like

Do you really think Gilead holds the key? :open_mouth:

Seeing more and more people talk about being laid off, not being able to pay rent, or just being financially constrained right now is pretty sobering but to see how the stock market is reacting to all that… is pretty jarring. I suppose better to see SOME “good” news at least? #perspective

1 Like

The drug, called remdesivir, didn’t have great success against Ebola, but later trials revealed it could stop coronaviruses such as SARS and MERS from replicating. Shortly after COVID-19 began circulating, researchers began to wonder whether it could do the same for the novel coronavirus.

It’s too soon to say for sure whether remdesivir can help COVID-19 patients, but the early results are promising.

In a video first obtained by STAT, researchers from the University of Chicago said that, in a trial of 125 COVID-19 patients taking remdesivir (113 of whom had significant breathing trouble when they joined the study), most of them got well enough after 10 days of treatment to be released from the hospital, and only two died.

That news follows the publication of a small New England Journal of Medicine study last week that followed 53 COVID-19 patients taking remdesivir. After 10 days, almost 70% of those patients had improved by some amount, and almost 60% of those who needed mechanical ventilation no longer did.

Still, it’s important to note that both of these findings are preliminary, and the Chicago researchers have not yet published their results in a peer-reviewed journal.

Remdesivir is also not yet approved to treat any disease in the U.S.

The findings are encouraging but need to be interpreted carefully. We won’t really know how effective any new therapy like remdesivir is against COVID-19 until the more rigorous studies, which are ongoing, are completed in coming months.

2 Likes

Hi @forexforexforex!
Yes it is - and it is so visible from the charts. This is a daily bar chart for SP500 since the start of the year. Just compare the typical daily ranges both pre-20.2. and post 20.2., when the sell-off began!

What an excellent chart!

1 Like

Personally, I would really hope that a drug could appear that relieves the symptoms of Covid-19 such that it would not progress in the bad cases into pneumonia or damaging other organs and causing death. If we could rely on being able to restrain it as just a bad type of influenza, we would no longer need to shut down entire economies. And then once a vaccine is also available, tested, manufactured, distributed and administered then we would be back to normal.

A drug that inhibits the progression of the virus (only) within those already diagnosed as infected is much quicker to administer globally than trying to vaccinate the entire global population - and the clinical testing required before it can even be released take months if not years!

The irony of this virus is that the risk groups are primarily the very old and those with other serious illnesses, especially respiratory problems. But the cost of protecting these minority groups is astronomical and will burden the younger generations for maybe decades - longer than most of those in the risk groups will still live naturally!

The cost to young families and working people and their communities is so huge that one cannot help pondering is it worth it? Afterall, the daily death rate is fairly close to that for heart diseases, cancers, roda accidents, etc. But we all live with those and accept it and don’t consider shutting down motorways and banning cigarettes just to keep those people alive.

Of course, the main problem is not the fact that some people will die, rather that they might all die at the same time and collapse the entire health systems! That is what flattening the curve was all about!

But those people in those high-risk groups are essentially also those whose daily movements are non-essential and whose incomes are mainly unaffected, being primarily pensions.

So, personally, I would have preferred to see, instead of total lockdowns, a selective shutdown including 100% isolation of all risk-groups including care homes, at the same kind of level as in hospitals, covering all coming and going of all staff, suppliers, tradesmen, etc. And then just to impose on the rest of the population the normal social distancing and hygiene recommendations - and rely on their own commonsense to inhibit the spread of infection.

Survival of the individual v. survival of the nation - is that not at the heart of politics?

1 Like

Yes it is quite a shock to look at. This is precisely why I have been driven to trade 15m, even 5m charts, instead of my normal 4H-1H charts. And it is exhausting me if I’m honest! It is how I used to trade back in the early days, but I really trying to deal longer term nowadays and this is a real challenge to step back into those earlier disciplines! But I am not happy setting 800-1000 pip SLs that i would need now on those longer TFs, so I have to live with the short term for the near future! :laughing: