Timeframes correlations

Have you seen any connections or trends between various timeframes that have helped you with trading?

I use a 30 minute chart to get the general direction of the trend and then drop down to 5 minute and time my entries.

1 Like

i use volume bars, not timed bars, so i think in “volumeframes” rather than “timeframes”

but as a rough equivalent, on average i think i’m typically using something approximating 3-hour or 4-hour bars to judge the directional bias and something approximating 20-minute or 25-minute bars to judge the entries

1 Like

Depends on what type of trader you are. Big financial companies and banks use the 200SMA for their week, month, or longer positions.

Daily and swing traders more likely use the daily trend, backed up by the 4hr and 1hr confirmation like 3 ducks in a row.

Scalpers play with the lower TFs, which I wouldn’t recommend unless it’s a demo account.

I like it when my entry time frame is 12-16 times lower than my setup time frame.

• Daily Setup + 1 Hour Entry (Not 12-16 lower compared to an entire day, but the open of London to the close of New York is approximately 15 Hours)
  • 4 Hour Setup + 15 Min Entry (16 times lower)
  • 1 Hour Setup + 5 Min Entry (12 times lower)
1 Like