Too many pivot levels everywhere (mega confused)

I really want to learn how to use pivot because everyone says they are the most respected lines.
I’ve read all about it from babypips and I’ve read a few articles on from googling…
I’m still as clueless how to use them.
I know what it is and how they work but I don’t know how to use them.

The whole screen is just a mess of lines all over the place (mid pivot too(dotted lines).
And sure, I see that sometimes the line is respected maybe 30-50% of time…
but most of time PA is just flying around between the lines and going through them like they don’t exist.

People say that you shouldn’t buy long if a pivot level is slightly above…
but it seems like that is ALWAYS the case… Too many pivot levels everywhere.

And how can you let profits run if you are sitting with mouse over take profit button while near a pivot level if you see slightest bit of resistance?

Please, I really need some help…
I’ve searched and googled for more info on this but they don’t help at all.

With enough lines and zones you can make the chart say anything that you want it to.

Forget that a line may be honored with the title of a pivot and ask why of all the price levels in all the chart periods is THIS PRICE so important.
You may find that it has little to do with the chart and everything to do with how YOU define trades that are working and trades that are not.

Hmm, Not too sure what you mean exactly…
You mean that I must use other indicators and trend lines to try and sync with pivot levels?

I think that’s a bit easy to do because pivot levels are EVERYWHERE…
No matter where you draw your trendlines it will easily sync with at least 1 pivot level somewhere.
I like trend lines/channels/patterns much more because they aren’t all over the place… And imo they always get respected unlike pivot levels… and when a pivot level gets respect it seems like a coinsidence most of the time or that another indicator is there that is the real reason PA meets resistance.

So I still need help to understand pivot levels… :confused:
I want to learn it soooooooo much! :7:

Don’t confuse pivots with support, and resistance lines.

And don’t throw any indicators on your chart either. The standard indis are just a mathematical representation of where price has been.

And Sword was telling confirming exactly what you said. You can draw lines anywhere on a chart, and they will line up with something somewhere.

Start your quest by going back and looking at what price did the last time in was at the current number. Here’s a hint. It’s a creature of habit for the most part;)

This is a valuable observation.

On your charts you can draw pivots points, support and resistance lines, Fibonacci lines, trend lines etc…

Price will not respect them with any degree of accuracy or frequency. IMHO.

Keep things simple and “less is more” is often a good approach to develop a trading system. Charts need to give you more certainty, no more confusion.

Have fun!

Just remember its like nascar, Turn left… Turn left… Turn left… RIGHT TURN = DEATH

Good morning.

No offence to anyone but you’ve all managed to CONFUSE ME (and believe me I know what Pivots are and how they should be traded although that type of trading is not my ‘style’ as you all well know).

The best description I’ve ever read about Pivots, trading them, and why they work, is given by John F. Carter in his book ‘Mastering The Trade’. You can download a .PDF version from my forums (techtradercentral.proboards.com). And NOOO: I didn’t scan it i.e. I have the book. I just put it in a place where it could be downloaded with ‘no nonsense’ (banner ads, viruses, crap like that AT MY OWN POSSIBLE PERIL AND RISK TO MY OWN WORKSTATIONS so don’t chastise me i.e. rather ‘kiss my ar*e’ and say thank you)!!! LOL!!!

The above being said: Google is FULL of Pivot Point Trading Systems so I don’t know why you say you couldn’t find any information.

I’m afraid I also have to disagree with your statistics of ‘30% and 50%’. The statistics are FAR higher. I’m afraid I also have to disagree with Fibonacci not being meaningful. I can look at a blank chart and most times can guarantee that price has stalled at either a (some) Pivot or some or the other Fibonacci Level. What happens AFTER price has stalled??? Well THAT’S where learning to trade these levels comes into play!!! Let it be said that they mean nothing to me because all of my trading systems are trend following trading systems but I do find it ‘interesting’ to watch nevertheless (when price stalls or retraces at these levels). I only note this because the thread starter talks about ‘letting profits run’. You’re talking about two different trading styles here. With a trend following system you do indeed ‘let your profits run’ and ‘cut your losses short’. You don’t have a profit target i.e. it could be anything (dependant on how long or IF the trend continues before getting a signal to take profit or realise a loss). When you’re trading Pivots or Support and Resistance or Fibonacci you’re normally ‘shooting’ for a certain number of points err… pips and that’s it.

And just to confuse you even more: there are many different TYPES of Pivot calculations!!! LOL!!! There’s ‘Common’ Pivots, ‘Floor’ Pivots, ‘De Mark’ Pivots, and quite a few other Pivot calculations that don’t readily come to mind right now (haven’t had my Red Bulls this morning as I ran out yesterday). The good news: MOST people (other than floor traders) use the ‘Common’ Pivots calculation!!! LOL!!!

Right: now that I’ve TOTALLY ‘made you day’!!! Have fun. Any questions??? Feel free to ask as many times as necessary until you ‘get it’.

Err… ONE qualification of the above: it depends largely on WHAT (markets) you are trading. The degree to which Pivots are respected is WAY higher statistically when trading stocks and commodities. Fibonacci: appears to work on all markets if for no other reason than most traders are watching those levels so they become a sort of ‘self fulfilling prophecy’ (and of course from this paragraph it’s obvious that I rarely trade Spot FOREX so bear that in mind).

Regards,

Dale.

I like to keep it simple and use the daily chart for my pivots, support and resistance.

Well Dale, I think you have just confirmed the OP’s point! :slight_smile:

Well: I suppose in my usual long-winded way I have.

I was just under the impression that the thread starter knows about or has read about this stuff but isn’t quite sure what to do with the information!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.