TP and SL submitted with order or handled programmatically?

I’m debating my preferred approach, and I want to know what you think. Would you rather send your take profit and stop loss levels when you submit your order, or have your EA handle them and take action when price hits X?

I have witnessed many people who seem to think that brokers cannot be trusted due to them often being counter-party to the trade. Some people believe that brokers will manipulate data to run stops and otherwise cheat their customers. I don’t personally subscribe to many of these conspiracy theories because I think they fail the Occam’s razor test. The effort it would take a major regulated broker to cut everyone their own unique numbers and not get busted seems ridiculously prohibitive to me. That being said, obfuscating TP and SL levels and handling them in the code prevents the broker from knowing what those levels are on any given trade.

On the downside, if you handle those levels programmatically and your EA has to unload/reload while a trade is open for some reason, you’re screwed, because the TP/SL numbers are no longer assigned to their variables, and you need to close the trade or handle it manually. Submitting the TP/SL with the order info and trusting the broker can be cleaner and safer in that way, especially if the EA user doesn’t understand well how the code works.

Given all of that, what do you think? Is it better to handle TP/SL in code or send it with the order?

3 Likes

Personal viewpoint, handle it with the order. That way your orders will always have a TP/SL regardless of anything else that happens. You can also have your code handle it and use the TP/SL you put in as a safety valve just in case you get disconnected. That way you do not lose too much money in the event of a power failure/internet failure/anything else.

2 Likes

Hi, my ea sending take profit and stop loss levels when submit orders. Broker is your business partner if you choose bad you will have bad trading-it is simple. There are many regulated brokers where you can open an account.

1 Like

Potential loss from the stop being hit by the broker is far less than that from the market taring away from your un-stopped position.

This is a good question, and one that I need to talk to my guy about as I’m currently in the final stages with mine. I prefer not having my orders visible, in case of any stop/order hunters (whether or not it’s really a thing). Better to be safe than sorry.

However, on the flip side if something goes down and you’re relying on your order being placed live at a set price then you don’t want be left hanging.

1 Like