Tracking Hurricane Irma

It is now looking like the eye will miss Orlando as the storm continues to drift west. We are still likely to see category +1 winds Sunday night into Monday morning, most concern here is power outages,

Close-up of the probable track of Hurricane Irma over Florida,
currently downgraded to category 3, expected to strengthen to category 4 or 5,
National Hurricane Center projection as of Saturday, September 9, 2017, at 11 am EDT

as it keeps moving west, Orlando out of the eye path, they are now saying we will see wind gust between 75- 90 mph , looks like the worst will be at night Sunday and early Monday, I had hope to get some stupid video of me holding on to a tree in 100+ mph wind, put that is not likely now

Everyone stay safe

As we approach 12 noon on Sunday, here in Orlando, light rain and wind only 10mph, it does look like a nasty ban just north of us

Location and probable track of Hurricane Irma – upgraded to category 4 –
as of Sunday, September 10, 2017, at 11 am EDT = 15:00 GMT

Zoomed-out view

Zoomed-in view

Colored circles around the center denote areas of particular wind-speeds:

• Inner circle (gold color) - winds in excess of 74 mph
  • Middle circle (lime green) - winds in excess of 58 mpg
  • Outer circle (teal color) - winds in excess of 39 mph

Live radar

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/maps/miamifloridaunited-states/we-city?q=miami-florida

Miami without people

Stupid comment of the week

“It’s going to be a fun ride,” said Jason Wasser, who had a few drinks at Don’s Place [in Key West]. “All of our friends are here, our family, why bother leaving? We’re all going to die eventually, so why not have a good time with it?”

Don’t look now, but there’s more coming

– Hurricane Jose (category 4), and that thing off the coast of Africa

Hurricane Jose is projected to go in circles in the western Atlantic through next Friday

1 Like

Hurricane update from Florida.
We are now certain that there is a hurricane. It is somewhere between a Category 1 and a Category 5. We are sure it may, or may not, bring rain to all, or some areas totaling between 1 inch and 10 feet. We also know it will be impacting none, or all, of Florida. We know it will be coming ashore on the east, northeast, center, west, or northwest side of the state sometime on Saturday, Sunday or Monday - but we are still not ruling out Tuesday. We have also downloaded an app to our phones allowing us to use them as walkie-talkies in case we don’t have cell service - it may or may not work. In short, we are prepared for all of the above and are hoping for the best.

1 Like

Forgive me but Is that real or a joke? How can an app work without a network connection? Or is it something like a bluetooth that identifies other phones within a near range and connects direct? Interesting if it is real? Is this like Mission Critical Push-To-Talk (MCPTT) but doesn’t that also need a network connection?

I should imagine that’s similar to when you dial 999 - you don’t need reception / signal; yet the call is magically connected. [quote=“Manxx, post:27, topic:112591”]
Is this like Mission Critical Push-To-Talk (MCPTT)
[/quote]

Perhaps I’ve made myself look stupid, and the above quote is what I’ve just said?

There is a walkie talkie app in the iPhone app store, no idea if it works, but I know you can control a drone by wifi from your phone so how hard would it be to send a voice signal, the range would be short, like less than 100 m

Orlando 4 pm update

Still not much wind, maybe 10 mph with an occasional 20 mph gust, rain has picked up, but nothing speed 1 of your windshield wiper could not handle. last I looked rain gauge was just over 1", I would guess it must be close to 2 now

Orlando 8pm update

Wind has really picked up 32 mph with gust well over 40, a lot heavier rain, Speed 2 on your wipers , now power issues yet.

But no matter what happens tonight, Green Bay beat Seattle 17 - 9 that is all that counts

1 Like

Orlando 8:30 update

it has really picked up the last few minutes, lost power but it came back on after a few minutes, too dark to get any good video

Storm has moved northeast and Orlando is again in the path of the eye wall, should be here in 4 hours, winds outside are above 40 mph, heavy rain, lights have gone out a couple of times, but they came right back on.

I don’t see it that way at all. :slight_smile:
It is an interesting feature if available and functional, and I will be investigating it further, but I won’t disturb you further on this thread. Thanks for mentioning the existence of such technology

That was a crappy ride. The Black Creek by my house rose to over 28 feet. People had to be pulled off roof tops. Just so happened my place is in the highest spot in middleburg so I didnt flood. Minor roof damage and no power going on day 4. Sucks my reef tank needs power to survive. Hopefully I will get it back soon. And Jose must realize he dont have the proper documentation to enter this country so he is leaving hopefully. I see 2 more coming out of africa. Oh the joys.

1 Like