Trading can get boring - which is good

It’s been a good while since I have been on this forum. I took the decision to stay away because of other projects on the go.

Also, trading was getting boring and I feel I hadn’t much left to say.

Ironically this boring aspect of trading has coincided with one of my best runs ever. Which leads to me to the firm conclusion, that we need to get past all the fascination and hard and determined work, to actually excel in this business.

Trading has to become routine, it has to be like your not even thinking about it before you can really master it.

That’s the same for pretty much every endeavor we undertake, trading is no different.

So for all those who want to be market wizards, my best bit of trading advice is to stop being so damn fascinated with it, and start doing other things with your time.

Your trading results will improve dramatically - and if you don’t believe me, there is an introduction in one of the market wizards books by Jack Schwager that says pretty much the same thing.

20 Likes

Hi John. I guess Gold.

I’ve also cut my trading time to when London opens, use my Ichimoku to select a trade using the Daily chart for trend, 4 hr for entry and 1 hr for confirmation they all line up like 3 ducks in a row.

Leave to run overnight if need be. So far so good. On Friday last I had one major buying trade on AUD/CAD following the upward trend and added two small ones. The T/P was selected just under a resistance zone. All went to plan apart from one small trade which failed by ONE POINT to reach the day’s high before it retraced and blew my S/L

XX293 MISSED HITTING XX294.

Welcome back. Hope is all ok.

6 Likes

Thanks for the input, and totally agree.

In looking back over my best periods, it’s always been when I have been less interested.

The irony is, that when these times have led to better performance, the urge is there to get more involved in the markets, thus going into a period of worse performance - or even outright performance that sucks.

For me it’s never my systems that fail, it’s that I fail myself by second-guessing or interfering, or pushing harder for more returns.

And yes, if you are using an EA, in theory at least, you can just walk away.

I believe this is the reason why newcomers struggle so much. They have a shiny new toy (a trading platform) and for the first time in their lives, they are completely in control of how to make money.

Problem is, this complete control doesn’t sit well with most, who are simply not comfortable with having to maintain such discipline.

It was (and can still be) my biggest trading hurdle.

3 Likes

I use mechanical systems where the discretion is only in terms of position sizing. However, that does not stop me from making a pig’s ear of things from time to time.

Take on new markets, suddenly "invent a new system’, trade too large in size - all have led me from booms to busts in terms of my equity curve.

Don’t really do it these days, like Odysseus in the Odyssey I have learned to tie myself to the mast when the market sirens start calling.

But in my earlier days, my lack of discipline in following a system rules-based system was epic.

I have never been one for EA’s or black box systems - read more than one too many bad reports about them however, I am currently learning python so who knows I may give them a try.

Plus if they can pull out 60 winning trades in a row, well maybe I am wrong in that assessment

3 Likes

Welcome back!

Ooh, there is a lot to discuss there, and I don’t think answering it does the question justice in one short (or even long) babypips post.

But here goes.

It’s been said many times before; that you need a trading system that compliments your belief system or personality.

Well I cannot trade both sides of the market. I used to think it was me being crap at shorting - its not - its me crap at flipping my mind from long to short, and back again.

So I focus on the long side only. There are enough opportunities from one side. Trading in one direction takes away complications, and for me it’s always about keeping it simple.

S&R levels - i don’t give a damn about them, all a fuss about nothing in my opinion. Another belief of mine, the further away the current price action is from an S&R level in terms of time, the less that level counts. In fact, they don’t count at all.

For me only the most recent short term daily high or low pivots have value for trading.

Sure you could argue, what about the level that capped the dow at 1000, for 20 years, or oil at $40, or gold at $2000 whatever? Or any other mythical line in the sand touted by newsletter writers who want to earn subscription fees.

But what you will find is that these levels were broken at some level on the short term chart and not on the main resistance level so touted.

So it’s my belief that we can only spot useful SR in the very recent past.

Ok so some will saying, but what if you are a long-term investor? You don’t want to be placing positions every time a short-term resistance is broken - correct you don’t - again these are my beliefs about the market, not necessarily based in fact.

But if you start trading other people’s belief systems about the market…well you won’t be trading very long.

My entry points are what I consider, exact price level (no areas of support or resistance in my trading).

These price levels I consider the optimum time for a change in direction of short-term momentum.

Do they always work? No not all but they work enough.

The trigger points can be breaks of short-term consolidations (inside bars), they can be the highest high of the past three bars, they can fractal patterns (BIll Williams Trading Chaos), they can be DeMark Trendlines.

But the one I favor the most these days is just buying the high of a red bar, if it made a lower low than the previous bar,

None of my systems are complex, I look at most of the charts people throw up on here, quite frankly I am not clever enough to understand them.

There is so much a trader has to contend with emotionally, the last thing he or she wants to do is second guess the trade because it has too many discretionary aspects to the technicals.

I never use take profit orders, or figure out risk-reward prior to a trade - that’s right NEVER.

I am not blessed with a sixth sense, and in my experience, the best trades are those you didn’t expect to win so much.

Even if a trigger point of mine was sitting right there underneath some touted resistance level, I would STILL take it.

Sure, I might lose, but there are so many touted resistance levels, that if you took them into account you’d never trade.

What I do do though, is manage my trailing stops well. If I enter a trade say on an 8 hour, then I trail my stop, to the next highest low, at the close of the next 8 hour bar. I do this until I am stopped out.

Some would say that’s too tight, but it works for me. I tend to get the meat of good trades, and can get out (usually) before a trade goes bad,

I have documented many of these systems in my blog https://tradeneophytes.com/.

My apologies but its been a long time since I have posted, but coming back to this forum, is a first step in renewing it.

4 Likes

Good to see you here again @johnscott!
I only just now noticed your thread here because I have also been drifting away from here - but my reason was because people like you who make this site worth visiting seemed to have mostly disappeared. SO really good to see you here.

I also support what you are saying about trading becoming routine before it becomes successful consistently.

I am sure one of the main reasons for not achieving consistency is because modern platforms and over-enthusiasm leads one to watch trades as though through a magnifying glass and then trying to read meaning into every little shake, rattle and roll that wiggles the price around.

If one compares that kind of trading with, say, one’s bank deposit account, share portfolio, or fund investments, then one does not constantly keep looking at them to see how they are doing - and the end result is usually much more positive because of that.

I trade intraday but I am not absorbed by charts all day. I glimpse at my set-up hourly and only take notice if it seems to be approaching something tradeable. If not, then I leave it. And if it seems a long way from approaching a possible signal then I will leave it for maybe 4-6 hours before checking again. And once I am in a trade, I set my TP and SL and let it work itself out. One, maybe two, trades per day, a win rate usually above 75%.

It is routine, almost boring at times. But the satisfaction from gaining from a market based on one’s own work is always overwhelming. The “buzz” never fades. :smiley:

7 Likes

I am sure one of the main reasons for not achieving consistency is because modern platforms and over-enthusiasm leads one to watch trades as though through a magnifying glass and then trying to read meaning into every little shake, rattle and roll that wiggles the price around.

That’s it in a nutshell.

If you can trade intraday and not get consumed by every blip up and down, you really are a giant among men.

Thanks for the kind words, very much appreciated. :grinning:

2 Likes

Welcome back John. Hope you are well.

It is no coincidence that boring trading is often successful trading. Robotic and methodical acts tend to be boring and at odds with the human will to inject excitement into things. But the key is that this can be done elsewhere in life and enjoyed. It’s so important to have outlets besides your trading so you can scratch that itch and not have it spill into your trading decisions. Keep being bored and successful!

3 Likes

This is normal.
Even the thing you love can become boring and not the most important thing at some point.
There is nothing special about that.
If it’s yours, you’re bound to come back to it.

3 Likes

Welcome back John, you were missed

3 Likes

Every person sometimes needs a break to reconsider what is happening, to rest, to think about what to do next.
I think that sometimes it is even useful, the main thing is to understand what you want to get in the end and what your specific goals are.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Welcome back and I’m looking forward to learning from your blog and if boring is successful let me clearly say
"Bring me boredom fill me with boredom shower me with boredom " :upside_down_face:

2 Likes