Trading classes in college?

hello everyone I have mentioned before on this forum that i am 17 years old and I’m in my senior year of high school. i have applied to schools and already heard back from many. the one I’m thinking about is Ualbany. my brother went there and there business school is Very good. so I’m kinda confused on if there is gonna be classes for trading. ik i will have to take many economics and other types of business classes but does anyone here have any experience with any types of college classes that have trading in them? i only ask this is because those classes may come a little easier for me considerding i have done the school here and know the basics of trading. also i find it may be hard to convince my parents that trading is a route to go with my future.
thanks

1 Like

Colleges do offer classes that deal with financial markets, but I suspect a course that would teach students to profitably trade forex would be rare to nonexistent. Retail forex trading via the internet is an industry in infancy. Academia will take time to add any in depth lesson on it to any curriculum.

Economics courses will deal with price and monetary theories generally presented with econometrics unless you have an instructor who uses Austrian perspectives which recently came back in vogue but I think it is already fading again. Even more rare would be professors presenting Modern Monetary Theory (which is a bad name for the theory). UMKC economics teaches MMT. It is monetary theory that takes into account the fact that currencies are nothing more than credit pyramiding on tax credits. I think on some level an understanding of this could benefit currency traders, but I don’t buy Mike Norman’s MMT trading nonsense.

Reading and studying on your own is the only path to trading success. Enjoy the path.

Do you know of any one who did go to college and just became a currency trader ?? Obviously going to college is a most for me. I’m guessing j will take a lot of knowledge from college and use it for trading but not sure what route j wanna take yet

Im not sure about trading classes in college but setting that aside, anycourse that will helf let it be economics or business is a plus, coz there are many source online that might as well work as classes in trading and its for free, thats how i look at it, though i am an IT graduate, i still look for more materials online that would help me with the forex market and my trading with hotforex. but thats good planning for the future, it will be good and best of luck with school/

There is no such course at any university that I know of that teaches trading. Economics, financial engineering, computational finance are probably the closest you are going to get. None of them are going to teach you how to trade properly. They are interesting and are used in the financial industry. But its more focused on teaching you what you would need to work at a bank, and that does not necessarily mean working in the trading department of a bank.

I’ve never seen a trading course in a college. Trading is something you pick up else where. There are lots of good trading schools out there but not in colleges.

I’m beginning to think that once you get the basics down in a sim account, go open a small real funded account with money you can afford to lose and trade away.