Trading journal

Well, I guess we know how I’ll be spending my Saturday (maybe Sunday, too).

1 Like

After using the trading app on my phone for a day, I can feel the urge creeping back strongly.

The urge to keep checking the app. Even on a saturday, when market’s closed. I’ll be doing my work on my leisure laptop. But instead, I still feel like checking the app.
Not good.

Paying for file recovery may be my only option. I’ve tried everything that I could find.

The good thing is that if they can’t get my files, then I don’t have to pay.

I won’t spend another day messing with this. Tomorrow, I’ll have to do my trading on my leisure laptop.

Actually, I just realized something. I normally do my trading on a 14” screen. For just a short while I’ve been trading on my 10” screen and it’s kind of a pain. Imagine if I was using a 6” tablet! I’d be squinting and getting a headache.

My travel back up would have been a tablet. But now I have to rethink that.

Perhaps I have to think about my travel-size trading kit.

1 Like

Probably the best option tbh, especially if it isn’t too expensive and time isn’t that long. Learning and applying those solutions might take too long and accidents can happen if you aren’t familiar. I over-wrote my only USB boot drive while formatting and partitioning my HDD by accident. I hadn’t used command prompt in over a decade and overlooked some obvious commands

1 Like

If you tried everything were you able to diagnose the problem? Because booting from the USB and repairing Windows should work if there’s no physical problem with the drive. That will just restore the integrity of your system files and retain your personal files.

1 Like

But i don’t have a copy of windows on a usb.

Wouldn’t that reformat the whole computer?

You can make one with the second PC if you have a spare 8GB (min) USB stick. Nope you won’t have to format and overwrite it if you boot with the USB and select this option:

Only the last option I gave required wiping out and formatting your HDD. They are sorted basically as folls:

1. Rollback last updated Windows Update
  2. Rollback to a system restore date (programs installed after that date will need reinstalling)
  3. Use command prompt and advanced boot/file repair (might be uncomfortable if you’re not used to cmd prompt)
  4. Repair windows with a bootable USB (step referred to earlier)
  5. Last ditch format and reinstall windows. Clean install that wipes everything.

You might not even need the bootable USB is you’re PC came with Win10 pre-installed (mine came with 8 so I had more work). Your HDD should have a partition that has the WIN10 files that’ll enable the default factory install.

None of this will work if your HDD has physical issues though. Bad sectors/clusters.

If anything here confuses you take this to a trusted IT guy. Let him diagnose the issue and recommend a good solution. If you’re HDD isn’t damaged it’s just a matter of repairing the sys files, which is a small issue for folks who handle stuff like this day in and out.

Edit 2: I dunno why I forgot this. If you have to rewrite windows you get the option to keep old files if you have to do it. The folder structure remains the same and the old Windows files are copied to a fold “Windows.old”, which you can get rid of later.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll probably just leave it to a pro. I tried to select the “format but leave files” option. But it says I need more space.

The problem is that windows keeps updating and fills the drive. Maybe I’m wrong.

I set a date to reset the computer to, and now it’s not there. I’m sure I did it because I missed the opoortunity with another laptop. Also, every week I have to go digging into Services and turn off the automatic updates, because even though I hit save and apply, it turns itself on automatically.

Yea, also talk to the IT guy about this the space thing too. I mean I have so many questions but it’d be a pointless exchange when it can be resolved talking face to face with someone who knows his stuff.

I think you need just 50GB (best double check this #) space min for the install. Recommended to have an upper limit of 150-200GB. So unless you’re running an older 128GB drive I don’t know how you could be bottlenecked tbh. If you have a bigger drive perhaps delete large media files (basically movies). Edit: Honestly I’d recommend keeping the updates switched on. Ignoring feature updates are fine I guess but security updates/patches is asking for trouble I think.

If it was already partitioned with a smaller space you may have to resort to a reformat & repartition perhaps.

Good luck! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s just a 64gb laptop. Nothing fancy. I store my movies and music on external drives (with backup drives as well).

My leisure laptop is similar, but I expanded it with an additional SSD.

I didn’t know what I was getting into with this laptop. I didn’t know there was no actual drive.

That’s life. Live and learn.

1 Like

I’m a bit excited, but also disappointed.

I’m feeling more confident in my entries. And starting to feel ok with increase risk from .05% to 1%. However, my next lesson to learn is when to close.

I thought I closed one trade hastily, but it turns out that I closed TWO trades hastily.

Price pulled back a bit in D1. It was in a channel. But this morning I’m reviewing W1 charts, and I see that I closed it waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early.

On D1, the trend is just getting started, and I had a great position.

No use crying over spilled milk. So, I’m gonna see about getting back in, but it’s risky.

So, lesson learned: check W1 before closing.

Now the psychological reason I closed was fear. I had a nice profit, my brain thought it was a satisfactory profit and I was scared of losing it, so I closed. I saw a signal that triggered fear, and I used it as an excuse to pull my profits.

If I had been focusing on the trade and not the dollar amount, I would have been looking at much bigger profits in the coming months. Instead, I collected my little short-term profits and sacrificed my long-term.

Unfortunately, this is a natural part of the process.

But fortunately, I’m advancing to a new lesson, as opposed to learning the same lesson over and over.

All sounds good! We never stop learning…
But the turning point is when finally learning turns into earning! :blush:

1 Like

Hi my friend.

If you can send me the make and model of your laptop I may be able to provide further information regarding what to try. Also please confirm if the device is running Windows 10 (or an emulation of Windows 10 inside a different operating system. Major manufacturers have a trick of installing “their own brand” of stuff for diagnosis which often causes more bother than its worth. I found that out when I successfully converted an Amazon Kindle into a generic Android tablet which I then used as a small screen for a Raspberry PI. That cost about $30 compared with a "Raspberry PI monitor at a considerable higher cost.

No promises but between June and November 2021, I spend a great deal of time with different EUC (end user computing) devices whilst building my Chia crypto mining farm. I bought a series of broken devices to rebuild / fix covering most commonly used things that people use to access web based services. Desktops, all in ones, laptops, tablets, Raspberry PIs including mounting storage drives and installing operating systems on all those devices. I became quite good at finding very specific Youtube videos on anything from tips and tricks to full tear down and rebuild of most common EUC devices. I don’t mind spending an hour or so to see if I can help you to self-fix.

1 Like

I just finished my forex trading for the day.

I’m not taking too many trades today. I saw a couple possible set ups. But I just took one small trade.

I got to move one of my SLs to BE. That’s always a good feeling.

I set some alerts for upcoming set ups. I haven’t used alerts in a while. Even longer since I actually checked on the alerts tab.

I’m not in the habit of checking on any triggered alerts because I’ve been making my own list of pairs to watch. I do it each month and each week.

I still see some set ups that I should have taken. Live and learn. I just have to remember for next time.

My margin is mostly used up. So, I have to be extra selective about which trades I take now. That may be cause for concern, but a lot of my trades’ SLs have been moved to BE.

And now I just have to wait for some of those trades to play out.

Right now there’s not much for me to do. I can’t really take any more trades. And there aren’t any killer set ups at the moment. They’re coming, but not now.

So, I guess I have some free time. The crazy part is that I want to trade so that I have more free time. Yet, my first impulse is to keep staring at charts, which contradicts my purpose for doing this in the first place.

That’s where I’m fooling myself, haha. I’m getting caught in the net of my own emotions, with no will of my own—just impulses. That hunter instinct.

Unfortunately, that hunter doesn’t work so great in trading. That instinct has to be controlled. If not, it will make friends with desperation and make you take trades that you shouldn’t. And those losses will negate all your profits, and then some. I did that. And I think those impulses never go away. You just learn to not give in.

Well, I finally have some free time. I’m free to do whatever. I’m gonna go have some breakfast.

Thanks everyone for helping with my laptop situation.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to fix it. I’ll just bring it to the shop.

1 Like

I finished my trading this morning. I woke up late, but I wasn’t waiting for any setups, so I wasn’t worried about it.

However, there are some GBP trades that I want to take. I expected not to see any set ups until next week.

But then this morning I saw two set ups out of the four pairs I wanted to trade. I wasn’t sure if it was a false signal or not, so I took small positions.

I don’t want to miss them in case they’re real.

1 Like

Also, I saw a few trades that I should have take last week, but I was scared of losing and I was in disbelief.

So, now I’m taking the trade with half the potential profits.

This is something I have to be more careful about. If I see a signal, but not sure, take it with moderate risk, but just take it.

1 Like

This morning I could feel some of my desperation coming out. I was ready to start trading larger positions, and I’m waiting for a certain set up.

And I started to see the set up, but not how I saw it in my mind. So, I wasn’t sure if I should take them or not.

So, it’s not the ideal set up. If it were an ideal set up, then ok, let’s put some money on the table.

But non-ideal? Then, I can’t put the same amount of money on the table. My desperation wanted to. But if I’m wrong, I’ll see afterward that it was for the wrong reason.

So, I’m glad I took just two small positions, and that was it.

I can’t afford to trade desperately.

1 Like

So, I saw a nice set up this morning. Price recently bounced a major resistance about a month or so ago. It’s been bearish.

I saw price was about to retrace. I could have jumped in with minimal risk.

However, it’s a counter-trend trade. I could have been right. But I didn’t want to take that chance.

It’s not the kind of trade that I should be taking.

One of my friends, who used to play poker but now trades stocks, told me “this is not a game”. He knows my financial goals and I talk with him about trading all the time.

That was his warning. Wait for the right trades, let them come to you.

Same as all the books out there. Just wait…wait…wait

I REALLY wanted to trade that retracement. But, those kinds of trades aren’t my focus, and I didn’t want to encourage those kinds of trades in my brain.

Just on principle, I didn’t take it.

The emotional problem is that, I regret not taking it. That’s partly my desperation.

I seriously can’t tell if it was right or wrong to skip that trade. I could have taken a small position and had a decent profit.

But the good thing is that I resisted the urge to trade a less-than- perfect trade.

Hopefully, that counts for something.

Right now, I’m not doing much trading, and to be honest, it’s a little bit boring. I wanna trade and make some money!!

But when you get too eager like that, you actually just lose money.