Trading strategy

How much do you believe in this sentence: pick one trading strategy master it and stick with it?

It depends on how serious you are to treat trading.

Also depends on how best the strategy works. WTH is sticking to a strategy with consecutive losses

PS: Pick one successful and profitable trading strategy, master it, and stick with it.

2 Likes

can u give me some examples of tradin strategies?

1 Like

We can stick to a reliable strategy but if the strategy isn’t perfect and reliable, we have to keep changing our strategies.

ok, do you know something about risk trading one profitable strategy?

1 Like

I’m really interested in hearing more about why you think how serious someone is about trading affects whether they should stick with one strategy or not. Can you share more about your thoughts on this?

I meant the one works for you.

I’m a newbie like you but I heard some swing, arbitrage, daytrading

1 Like

i’d say “pick one trading strategy that has a proven, verifiable, robust edge”

the distinction may look pedantic, but it isn’t, because unfortunately, for many beginners in the trading world, this necessitates having enough understanding and experience of statistics and probability functions to be able to tell, reliably, whether or not any given strategy has a proven, verifiable, robust edge, and not confuse its no longer having that with “having a very bad but reasonably foreseeable run”

that’s a skill that (for entirely understandable reasons) very, very few beginners actually have

no argument there!

i’d say “and stick with it for as long as it maintains its proven, verifiable, robust edge” … which, for many people, leads to the same problem i just mentioned, because the reality is that they don’t really know whether or not it has

and i’d add “while continuing to research and develop other methods, and other skills, for the day when it really doesn’t”

so i found a way to dress it up with a load of extra words, if nothing else :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

If you treat trading like a hobby, you don’t want to spend more time to build strategies because there is no reason to do that. When trading is your life, or you want to be your life, you will build more strategies to decrease trading risk.

I suppose the question didn’t really include the end goal there lol. So it could be that you pick one trading strategy, stick with it and blow your account soon after :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Of course not. Tell me about it. I’m interested.

If the strategy is well-proven and give traders high return, then sticking to it can be a good decision, otherwise not.

wow. didn heard of them but finally found someone like myself. HORU?

At many brokers you can meet traders (PAMM and MAM) who describe their strategies in detail.
From there you can select something for yourself.

I think that one is a good sentence
changing strategys can be harmful for you in trading but you have to know that strategy that you are sticking on it must be a really good one
if you have a bad strategy for 5 years and dont change it you are going to make big losses

Let’s split this into two categories - whether the strategy is mechanical/automated or whether it is discretionary:

A mechanical/automated strategy or system does not require any greater input from you other than strictly following the rules. In this case, set it up on a demo account and run it for, say, 6 months across a number of different instruments and see what happens. If it looks promising then try it live. But remember that past results are no guarantee of future results! Also, market characteristics change over time and no mechanical system is right for every situation in every market all the time…unless, of course AI changes all that! :rofl:

Most traders, though, use strategies that require some discretionary input from the trader themselves to a lesser or greater extent. And it is here that the issue gets complicated…
We all talk about strategies but, in fact, whether a trader is successful or not depends much more on the trader than the method being used. It is often said that a good trader can make money even with a poor strategy whereas a poor trader will not succeed even with the best strategy. And I believe this is true.

If a group of traders all use the same discretionary strategy they will all end up with different results. So the critical issues lie elsewhere than just in the strategy itself.

So I would suggest that instead of mastering a particular strategy and sticking with it, one tries to master oneself as a trader and sticking with that!

These trader-based issues include learning patience, discipline, reading market conditions, selecting the most suitable instruments, deciding on the most comfortable timeframes and durations, understanding risk and money management principles, recognising when not to trade, etc, etc. It is these qualities that achieve consistency in a business that is based on probabilities.

Just some thoughts…