Trading the News

I am just starting to trade Forex and I am most interested in trading the news. Does anyone using the strategy have any tips? How profitable are you using this strategy? Can you rely solely on a news report or do you need supplement it with other strats?

Well it’s a good way to have your heart (trading account) carved up and fed to you on a paper plate if that’s what you’re asking.

There are so many reasons why it’s not a good idea but here’s just a few off of the top of my head and that come to mind at the moment:

Most of the time the news is already built into price anyway. Only when you get surprises is there usually enough movement and a point to even attempt to make some money.

You as a retail trader will never have the news in time to react. Usually by the time you have the release price has already started to move. And because it moves so fast you will have a hard time getting filled. So what happens??? You place your order at market and your broker cannot execute the order but as if by magic they manage to execute your order right at the very top or bottom of the move. So now you’re in a position and price has already started to retrace against you. Now you try to close the position to minimise your loss and the broker cannot do that either because price is moving too fast. But the position will get closed out eventually when things settle down. Now you’re down both ways.

Using the above scenario so now you’re going to get clever and place stop orders. Sorry. Very high volatility at news times (surprises) so either your order does not get executed at all (this being the BEST case scenario believe it or not) OR your order gets slipped and again gets filled at the worst possibly price which is usually right there where price is starting to retrace. And so on and so forth.

Now even assuming that any of the above was avoidable (which it’s not as a retail trader but that’s beside the point): do you have the knowledge and experience to be able to asses in which direction price is going to spike based on the news data??? If you’re new to this game and your answer is yes then you’re lying to yourself.

Last but not least (and notwithstanding things that I’ve forgotten at this time): don’t be fooled if you’ve tried this all nice on a demo account and it appears to work. Demo accounts are notorious for not reflecting how things are in the real world. With reference to my above scenario described: on a demo account your orders (market or other) will in all probability ALWAYS get executed at the exact same price at which you have placed them (market or otherwise). This is because demo accounts are automated i.e. there’s not dealer on the other side.

Oh. Almost forgot. Then there are these brokers that will disconnect platforms just before and just after news data releases. And if you just happen to have been lucky (or unlucky as the case may be) to even be in a position: chances are you’ll not be able to get out of it until price has settled again and the platform has returned to life as if by magic.

You still want to try this???

Unless you have a really in depth knowledge and can therefore get into these trades BEFORE the news release: you’re wasting your time. And even then it’s no exact science i.e. successful news traders can and do get it wrong sometimes (and even those that know what they’re doing cannot rely on their stop loss orders being executed).

If I think of anything else I’ll be sure to let you know.

14 Likes

Thanks for the input. I did not know that on live trading that you could have a hard time filling orders during news events. It is understandable that some brokers would not like for you to blow your whole account on a Donald Trump tweet.

2 Likes

I think, news trading is more challenging than the technical based trading; till now I have to improve my trading skill on news trading.

1 Like

I think it’s a to risky personally

1 Like

Hey.

Sorry I’m only responding now. Had my own issues today thanks to good 'ol Donald there.

Anyway.

Yeh. In live trading, and even with a legit and reputable broker, slippage is just part and parcel of trading. The reason being is that your broker can only fill your order at the first available price. The key here is “available”. When markets are just doing their thing as usual then it’s almost always your price (doesn’t matter if it’s a market order or a stop order or a limit order). But: when there’s huge movements exactly of the type that you see when news data is released then price moves so fast that your broker just no longer has access to your desired price and will then have no choice but to fill your order at the first available price to them. It’s just the way it works. Now unfortunately: a rotten broker can use this to their advantage and you will never be able to call them out on it. They can delay execution of your order and only execute it at the worst possible price even although a better price could have been available to them at some point during the move. Bear in mind that the dudes that work at dealing desks are no amateurs either. And, well, pretty easy to program software to take advantage of this type of thing.

So in short: I still maintain it’s not for retail traders. Guys that are serious about trading the news plough a lot of money into very high speed data feeds etc. Matter of fact (and what some people don’t know) is that you can even rent (for a very big fee) space inside the NYSE or NASDAQ so that your computer system is in close proximity to their gear. The obvious reason for this is speed. Those guys will have the edge when it comes to this type of thing because they really are getting the information and their orders in and out split seconds before you. By the time you get it: it’s all over and they’re getting out at pretty much the time you’re TRYING to get in (waiting for your broker to execute your order).

NOT an easy way to make money that’s for sure.

5 Likes

It’s possible to trade news. Very difficult though. Takes years or experience. I’ve lost a lot of money doing this but lately am able to pick which news and data I want to trade and do well enough. Too many things to consider for a beginner though.

2 Likes

News trading is not so reliable in my opinion. Most of the news is just plain noise as per my observation. It doesn’t work for me.

1 Like

that’s good, continue

1 Like

You just lack the knowledge and experience to make it work. You don’t understand or have not experienced what kind of news will really move markets, or what’s been priced in or what hasn’t. Or maybe it doesn’t suit your mindset. But you’re right in not trading the news if it doesn’t work for you. But don’t write it off, it works for a lot of other people.

1 Like

I would love if you shed more light into which news to trade and which news not to trade?

1 Like

I’m still learning myself. Depends which asset you’re talking about. Name an asset and maybe I’ll give you an initial list of what you need to consider. But be sure it will be a very long list.

2 Likes

there have been some interesting points raised already concerning news trading. @dpaterso made the point the news has been built into the technicality of trading.
This is because price movements in terms of its direction are a result of a combination of the impact of the last set of news from a country and an anticipation of the expected set of news from the next or up coming period. That is why the news calendar usually shows the last result and the anticipated result of the next release. If its a drastic or significant change in the calculated or expected figure, then that creates the spike and/or movement that happen immediately the actual news report is released.
To shed more light on the subject based on my earlier clarification. One of the biggest miss conception of the new or in experienced trader is differentiating between trading the news and trading during the news release. It is an understanding of this two concepts that makes you a more complete trader.
News trading from my knowledge of the bigger trader is more of trading the expectations and ignoring the news release. I have followed @ Gilas Trading for some time and read him write about trading in the direction of his bias. every consistently profitable trader must understand this except you maintain a stop-loss level that is built on monthly or weekly s/r levels

1 Like

1889 experienced trader: dont trade the news
New trader: but i can make it work

1905 experienced trader: dont trade the news

1925 experienced trader: dont trade the news

1939 experienced trader: dont trade the news

1957 experienced trader: dont trade the news

1968 experienced trader: dont trade the news

1976 experienced trader: dont trade the news

1985 experienced trader: dont trade the news

1999 experienced trader: dont trade the news

2007 experienced trader: dont trade the news

2019 experienced trader: dont trade the news

I hope you get the picture

7 Likes

I don’t maintain stop loss levels based on weekly or monthly S/R. Have never mentioned anything like that, please don’t make it appear like I said something which I clearly didn’t, even you you didn’t make it seem like a direct quote.

I both trade the news and trade news releases. But I don’t trade them all. It’s correct that both are different things altogether, but there are so many nuances to each that unless you try to trade so very many news and news releases for a good period of time you’ll likely end up with losses. If you’re a newbie or amateur, you can try on a demo or live but with very small positions. You’ll lose a lot of money before you really start to grasp how to do it.

1 Like

Awesome reply! Once again outstanding job, really appreciate your efforts!

1 Like

'‘Stuck in a dumb Brent long. Tried to catch a falling knife, went against major rules of my system, just because I felt I could do no wrong after all the major gains I’ve made. Hope I at least can get out of this breakeven or with small losses. Currently stuck 380$ :frowning: 13 lots whew. I vow to never trade against my funda bias ever again. At one point I was stuck 560$.’'
Does this look like one of your write-up on your journal 10 days ago from today. That is what I referred to except you want to further make explanations on it. I never referred to you on stop loss positioning.
This is not to prove a point not withstanding. I have been on this line for some time now . over 9 year on this forum too and have not stop learning from the forum here just to improve my already consistently profitable trading.
I hope this clears things up my Filipino friend

1 Like

You can add:

2005 experienced trader: dont trade the news

Dale: but I can make it work

LOL!!!

3 Likes

basically you are telling retail traders, you might have a very good intuition but the market (or broker) is not playing fair game

1 Like

If you are a trader who have good knowledge of market behaviors then you can rely on fundamental analysis while a trader needs to employ attention on significant market news. but one thing is very important to remember that not all market news will be significant to give emphasize. A trader must differentiate among reliable and insignificant news.

1 Like