Triple threat exit strategy

Pipwoof/Rpotor Good day. Rpotor Ea is doing great on GU with over 400pip on the 3 orders do I intervene or leave it till EOD?

godwin, i wasn’t able to use the ea today and i think rpotor is probably sleeping now. don’t know if i’ll be much help. if you went short at 1.5670, which was the trigger on my platform, you would have shown an initial sl at 1.5700, risking -30 per position X 3 = -90 and a tp on pos1 at 1.5625 +45. my feed shows that it traded below 1.5625 on the 14 bar, but my platform didn’t trigger my tp. i took it out manually for +40, then moved stops for air to 1.5650 and for retrace to 1.5675. air has already been taken out +20 and retrace looks like it’s about to go. don’t know how the ea is behaving in all this, but that’s what i’ve experienced with gu today.

Thhanks Pipwoof for your expainations.The ea went short on 3 gu tradesat 1.56716 with Sl at 1.57000 and TP at 1.56250 But had to manually close at 1.56357,1.56377 and 1.56375. To Roptor, do we have to manually close trade?

After lurking on this thread all month I finally set up a demo account and got MT4 installed yesterday. This morning I installed rpotor’s EA, V3.19. So far, nothing seems to be going on with the EA. I tried some back-testing and see this error continuously in the Journal: Daybreak-TT-OrderEntry-v3.19 GBPUSE,Daily: OrderSend error 131

Any ideas what might be causing this error?

Thanks all for their hard work on this strategy, it’s been fun to play around with!

Hi Pipwoof,
I am a new member who is using Triple treat strat, my broker is Roboforex NZ (GMT +3). Can you advise me whether I can use the daily candle in my chart to determine the daily high and low ? or is it required to keep track of another broker’s chart data for making a decision for the entry and exit ?

Hi Roptor,
Your EA is working great in my chart, placed all the trades correctly. Appreciate your great work for automation of this strategy… :-))

update:
g/j sell 122.47, tp 122.00, sl 122.75. all 3 positions still open.
e/u, buy 1.2305, stops hits -30, -30, -30.
g/u sell 1.5670, tp at 1.5625 +40, air out at 1.5650 +20, retrace out at 1.5675 -5.
g/u flat.

Read more: 301 Moved Permanently

Hi Mattiusly,
Please check the minimum lot size your broker allows you to open. May be the default lot size in EA is too small for your broker to accept the order.

That worked perfectly, I would never have found that. Much thanks!!

welcome to the thread. the short answer is we don’t know for sure, but i will go into it further.

i recently undertook a thread that had the word “simple” in the title. i am simple, like simple, so wanted to pursue it. one of the first recommendations of the author was to read through the whole thread because a lot of changes had been made to improve the method along the way. the thread was over 1,200 posts and by the time i got about 1/3 through it, i had so many indicators, ea’s, changes and suggestions that i lost sight of the word “simple” and just gave up.

i said that to say this. i know how tedious it can be to read through these things, especially with someone like me who loves the king’s english and loves to use it. i am not at all offended that you haven’t taken time to read through all this, but the matter of how to define a day per platform has come up a few times.

i will copy an important section from a previous post and suggest you also look back at #148 and #149. if the information from these places doesn’t help you get squared away, please post again. i know there are some visiting the thread who are on gmt+3 platforms and they may also be able to advise you how they have chosen to deal with the subject.

here is from an earlier post:
the issue of what to call a “day” has come up before and this is a good opportunity for me to try giving a thorough explanation all in one place. a discreet data set called “day” is defined by each broker according to their platform. in hourly bars, you will see the day start and a new bar begin to build at 00:00, platform time. in an hour, we will see 1:00, then 2:00, etc. but, depending on where you live and who your broker is, that 00:00 could be any time for you. i trade with oanda and ibfx. oanda’s platform is on eastern time. since i am in the central time zone, oanda’s day for me is 11pm to 10pm. the ibfx day is on gmt and that is 7pm to 6pm for me. in other words, if i am trading ibfx, their day will conclude as, my time, the 6:00 pm one-hour bar or the 6:59 pm one-minute bar finishes. at 7:00 pm, my time, they will begin their 00:00 (new day) bar and that is when i will be at the charts to enter buy/sell stop orders, assuming i want to trade ibfx and use their definition of day for my orders.

to keep some consistency and point of reference, i use ibfx data and their platform day for all results reporting to this thread. the high of the day is the high between their platform time 00:00 and 23:59, and so on. conveniently, the platform allows me to select “show period separators” which, on a one-hour chart, draws a vertical line at 00:00, the beginning of the day. unless the close yesterday just happens to be very close to the high or low for the day, we should have plenty of time to place our entry stops soon after the 00:00 bar begins.

take note that, unless your broker happens to be on the same time as mine, you will come up with different entries and exits. just like if i use oanda instead of ibfx, i get different numbers. sometimes the different brokers end up pretty close together on a day’s data, sometimes not. i have used a utility program called vitrite which can make a chart transparent. select an oanda daily chart, place the ibfx chart on top and make it transparent, line them up and you visually see the differences. for example, eur/usd, june 29, 2012, oanda’s high for the day was 1.2692, low 1.2252, range 140. same day, ibfx high 1.2691, low 1.2431, range 260. this was a profitable day for the method. trading ibfx, eur/usd +25, +75, +75. trading oanda, +45, +25, +25. you can see that, while both platforms were profitable, the differences may get to be significant. i have not done exhaustive studies to determine just how much difference platform times may make and will recommend that you study some time period for your platform and compare results to what i’ve posted here.

now, could you define “day” as any 24 hour period that happened to be convenient for you to trade and would that be profitable? all i can say is, probably. are you going to miss some significant moves if you aren’t willing to set alerts to wake you up or otherwise be available to your computer during the london session? yes. will we ever have an ea that takes care of all this while we sleep? you’ll have to ask someone with more programming knowledge than me. would i have the nerve to use it if we actually had it? no.

could you also use the ibfx timeframe to place orders on a different platform, i.e., enter orders at 7:00 pm central time no matter what your broker’s time is and come very close to replicating results shown here? yes. back to vitrite and we see that when we match up bars using transparent charts, the broker feeds are within a few pips of one another on virtually every bar. in this case, we would be entering oanda trades on the 20:00 bar, which is the 00:00 bar for ibfx, 7:00 pm central. if you were doing this, you would have to enter all orders one at a time by hand and would not be able to use the very handy order entry ea built for us by rpotor which enters orders based on the prior bar.

Read more: 301 Moved Permanently

I am trading live on Oanda fxtrade set to GMT +0. So far this week:

Aud/usd: Long entry @ 1.04978; TP; SL AIR and Retrace @ 1.0500= +31.8

Long entry @ 1.0509; all still open w/SL @ 1.0475= +0

Gbp/Jpy: Short entry @ 123.109; TP; SL AIR @ 122.751; SL RT @ 123.004= +82.2

Short entry @122.492; TP; SL AIR and RT @ 122.481= +26.4

Eur/usd: Long entry @122.984; TP; AIR and RT still open w/ SL @1.2300 = +29.8

Total = +170.2

pip, i am showing +115 for yesterday. jury’s out on today. but, it is obvious you are doing something right. congrats and thanks for sharing your results.

in this jurisdiction, lurking is not even a misdemeanor. welcome.

Roptor,
The EA is working fine on my platform.And big thanks for your good work in automating of this strategy and to Pipwoof for this system. But I noticed that the EA did no close all previous day opened trades before opening new trades for the new day. Is it programmed to operate thus?

i remained a little concerned over this issue of platform times and differences in results we might see just from entering at different times and, therefore, different entry points. just gbp/jpy using ibfx day, first quarter of this year, i got net:
jan +150, feb +460, mar +1,410

i just completed looking at same time, same pair on oanda:
jan +275, feb +145, mar +1,410

there are differences. this is far from a thorough study. i continue to urge you to do some research on your own platform. but, i feel a little relief that, perhaps, these numbers balance out in the long run. rpotor supposed they might and i am now more inclined to agree.

Im thinking that, on the average, it will be close to the same results. I think the main difference in our results this week so far is that I adjusted my oanda time to coincide with GMT. I do enter my limit orders a bit early if it appears that there is no big chance of them being triggered until 0:00 GMT.

1. Introduction, explanation, examples and results: Posts 1 & 2
  2. Chart example, detailed trade step by step: Post 7
  3. Using judgment to depart from strict rules: Posts 17, 69, & 108
  4. How to define “day,” platform and results differences: Posts 5, 31, 123, 137, 148, 149, 152, 155, 157, 164, 194, & 195
  5. July summary of all trades, posted for comparison: Post 208

6. Demands on personal life to trade the method: Post 83
  7. Indicator, Forex News Market Clock: Post 167
  8. Re-entering trades that are stopped out: Posts 111 & 113
  9. EUR/JPY, results for a new pair: Post 115
  10. EA & RPOTOR: Posts 89, 93, 94, 100, 106, 107, 159, 160, 166, 172, 175, & 178

After a month of demoing, I decided to go live from today (1st August, 2012)with a very small micro account using daybreak for entry and Triple treat for exit. I am using Hotforex data and their day starts at 21.00 GMT. Also they won’t provide any candles on Sundays. Hence my previous day highs and lows may differ from yours.

I am planning to trade on 5 pairs. i.e., AU, EU, GU, GJ and my favorite pair EJ.

Based on Hot Forx Data.

Yesterday’s High/Low My Buy Stop/Sell Stop order rates

1. AU - 1.0538/1.0488 1.0543/1.0487
  2. EU - 1.2330/1.2248 1.2332/1.2247
  3. GU - 1.5729/1.5624 1.5733/1.5623
  4. GJ - 123.04/122.21 123.08/122.20
  5. EJ - 96.28/95.73 96.32/95.72

Please note that my Buy stop rates are derived as Yesterday’s High+1 pip+Spread.

Orders triggered so far.

1. Au Short @ 1.0487
  2. GJ Short @ 122.20
  3. EJ Short @ 95.72
  4. EU Long @ 1.2332
  5. GU Short @ 1.5623

I will be updating and will publish the results.

Hoping the best. Doing everything manually.

EJ is testing stop Loss. Price near to stop loss @ 96.00

EJ Hit SL -84 pips (-28 X 3)

Ummm, the EA does not close orders by itself. It handles pending order closing by setting the expiration time of all the pending orders it opens to the start of the next day. So at the start of a new daily bar, you should see all previous day pending orders close automagically (but this is done by MT4). However if some of the pending orders triggered during the day (and they are now open orders), the EA by design will leave them open. This is because the “strict” Triple Threat strategy rules state that once an order is open we let it run according to the rules, so all open orders are either closed when they reach TP (in case of the first position) or when they reach the current SL (in case of the second (Air) and the third (Retrace) positions.

If the problem is that some of the orders still in pending status from the previous day were not closed that could be some problem, because they should have an expiration set by the EA. You can check it by hovering over the pending order with your mouse. If it says “Expiration -> and a date and time” then it’s cool. Sometimes it is not shown so if there is no info hovering over it, you should start modifying the order (double click on it) In the modification window the expiration cell should be active and set. If not, then we have a problem with the EA, though I don’t know what could the problem be, because expiration setting is working totally fine for me.