Triple threat exit strategy

christinaa, i appreciate your interest in learning more about forex and this method. based on your question, i can see that you need more understanding of how outcomes are calculated in forex and the relationship between account size and trade size. it is always important for us to complete the prerequisites at the beginning of our forex journey. the babypips school is ideal for gathering that basic information. regarding this matter, these two links would be especially helpful:
http://www.babypips.com/school/pips-and-pipettes.html

http://www.babypips.com/school/lots-leverage-and-profit-and-loss.html

to elaborate a bit further, whether the account was depleted or not would depend on the size of the account and the size of our trades. had we been reckless enough to trade full lots with a $1,000 account, then, yes, a drawdown over $700 would have disabled our trading. this particular brief test, however, started with a $10,000 account trading one full lot, so a -700 drawdown represents about 7%. had we begun with $1,000, it would have been infinitely more prudent to trade at a much smaller lot size. for comparison, had we started with $1,000 and traded .01 lot, the drawdown would still be about 7%, but in actual u.s. dollars would be $70.

there appears to be some concensus in the trading community about risking no more than 2% of your account on any single trade. let’s be conservative for illustration and decide we are willing to risk 1% of our account on any one trade. if you wanted to implement that idea and had a $1,000 account, you would want to risk no more than $10 on any one trade. suppose, then, you wanted to trade e/j using the tt method within that risk parameter. since you will be taking three positions on the trade, you should divide the $10 you are willing to put at risk by 3 and allocate about $3.30 per position. using the quarters to establish stop losses, your average loss is going to be -37 pips. in this pair, a pip traded at .01 lot is worth about 1.2 cents. a -37 pip loss, then, would translate to about 45 cents at .01. trading at .07 lot per position would mean .07 X -37 X 1.2 = $3.11 per position at risk.

this is a conservative risk approach and one that might be highly recommended, especially for beginners. surviving a drawdown with part of your account intact gives you continued opportunity. blowing the account means you have to ante up again. the advantage of risking a percentage of your account balance is that you are trading less and less if a drawdown continues and more and more if the system succeeds. if you are starting with $1,000 and risking 1%, your first trade risks $10. if it loses, you now have an account balance of $990 and you can risk 1% again, but this time your risk is $9.90. on the other hand, if your first trade succeeds and you come away with an account balance of $1,010, you are now permitted to risk $10.10.

to answer this question for yourself, just look at the outcomes for each pair in posts 1 and 115.

gg, thanks for your work! the judgment calls have created a sticky problem for those who have tried to code and i confess an inability to adequately translate those decisions into quantifiable parameters. though it seems obvious to most of us that we wouldn’t let a trade 20 pips in profit revert to a -40 loss, especially on monday, that, and other judgment calls, become a coding nightmare. i am also more on alert when a position has a -40 sl than a -25 and will cut it off before letting it run all the way back. in the dinesh ea, he has built in a few options. you can choose to allow trades to run through the weekend or close on friday. you can choose to use friday or sunday data for monday trades. you can choose fixed stop losses or quarters for initial positions. and you can choose trailing stops. though the ea still has a few problems, ie, trading on sunday, it can give an idea for certain “what if” scenarios.

case in point. compare this equity chart for the same pair, same period, with the one above. this one used the dinesh ea with maximum sl set to 30 and breakeven on.

Pipwoof thank you for that very thorough reply, i really appreciate it. And thanks for all that backtesting you did. Does Monday make bigger gains for you compared to the other days? Or are the gains just averaging with the other days? Thanks

i have not made the effort to separate results by day. my observation was that monday seemed slower than other days and deserved some special attention, i.e., judgment calls. my opinion is that monday offers good opportunities if you are in a position to watch for reversals and cut your losses.

Ok thanks Pipwoof, I am outside of the US, so just checking with your ibfx chart a new day bar has just opened right now yes?

yes, which pair(s) are you considering?

i am presently trading aud/usd and eur/jpy. i like to use rpotor’s ea to set the entry orders. put your chart on 1 day tf, initiate the ea, give it a minute or two to establish orders. check to be sure they are in the right place.

ok thanks im looking at eurjpy and gbpjpy, im just doing it manually

my EJ buy limit stop loss is 100.00 and my EJ sell limit stop loss is 100.00 aswell is this correct?

we don’t use limit orders for entry, just buy stop and sell stop. buy stop for the e/j is yesterdays high 100.45 + 1 pip = 100.46. sell stop is yesterday’s low 99.70 - 1 pip = 99.69. correct, both stop losses land at 100.

a/u has triggered buy orders at 1.0377, tp 1.0425, sl 1.0350.

Pipwolf can you please explain what the london break EA is?

my cursory look at the idea did not convince me of a significant advantage, so i didn’t thoroughly pursue it. if i understand, the ea should be activated at the london open and will base entries on the previous 24 hours as a definition of “day.”

Hi,

Please post the necessary latest file for this trading. I’m interested.

Hi everyone,

Well for the last two weeks i have been trading this system live. I have to say i am very surprised with the results. I had intended to start with 200 bucks just to check out the ea and the system in general but it wasn’t enough to trade all the signals i recieved so i added another 500 for a total investment of 700 bucks to prove my new friend pipwoof correct and did i ever prove him right. I have averaged about 100$ a day in profit, no hard drawdowns as of yet trading the aud/usd, gdp/usd, eur/yen

In the span of two full weeks i have almost doubled my initial deposit. as of now i have 1296 in the account with 3 orders still open in the positive. I am trading with rptors ea v3.22 it’s a little buggy but it works could work much better but you use what ya have ya know. I am trading micro lots of.1 and still doubled my 700 bucks.

Pipwoof what did i tell ya bro it works

I will say this though be careful of the little dips that trigger your order only to reverse.

Terry

Good to hear you’re doing well. Are you trading all pairs? If not which ones are you trading?

wonderful news, Terry.
May I ask that you are doing part time trading style or full time tarding?
I just wonder that this system are suitable for full time worker or not.
thanks… hahn

where can i find this version please