Trouble with Confirming Reversals/Continuations

So right now my problem is that I am having trouble telling when a reversal or continuation at a support/resistance is confirmed. I trade on the H1 and I see a bearish engulfing pattern form right at a resistance area. Then on the next 2 candles it jumps through the resistance and eventually stops me out. Should I be waiting for more confirmation than just a 2 candle formation? Should I wait till I get like one more candle to enter trades? Should I maybe be looking at any oscillators to see if they are giving any hints at the reversal like divergence? I am still learning as I go so I apologize if this is a stupid question haha thank you guys

hi
there is not stupid questions my dear :upside_down_face:, migth you need is to see the big picture first…
there is only 3 things in trends : uptrend downtrend and consolidation, so I would recomend you before pull the trigger make sure in what part of the picture you are , :smile:
see u

1 Like

No matter how long you wait and how much confirmation you see, a high % of patterns like this will fail. Google the work of Thomas Bulkowski to see from his research how badly most candlestick patterns actually perform.

This means maybe 1 trade in 3 will be a loser so you must always plan what you will do with the losers to keep losses small. Don’t forget to plan what to do with the winners to maximise their profits. Its generally a wasted effort to spend your days trying to find more and more and more reliable entry patterns.

Switch to higher time frames like weekly and daily. Chart patterns and candlestick formations on H1 and lower timeframes are full of noise and misleading signals.

I suggest you analyse your charts on the daily timeframes to know the overall trend, support and resistance lines as well as pivot points, then use lower timeframes for entries and exit.