[TUTORIAL] Complete Backtesting and Analysis Setup (100% Free)

Hey Clark great tutorial! You managed to make things so simple very nice! I have a question for you. I have never programmed a day in my life. What would be better for me to focus on mql4 or would it make more sense to learn c or c++

If I take the time to learn a little programming I would want to be as versatile as possible.
Thanks,
John

Better learn javascript. Mql4 is very similar to javascript

It depends on what you’ll be programming mostly. If you’re just looking to making some simple indicators/EAs via MT4, some C++ and/or MQL4 is all you need. MQL4 is derived from C++ so learning a bit of C++ won’t hurt.

But if you’re looking to do some more analysis with your own scripts and data sets, then perhaps something that allows rapid prototyping is better (Python, Ruby). Another alternative for data analysis is learning R or MATLAB.

If you’re interesting in building entire applications and such, .NET/C# would really come in handy as well. Not to mention this would be a good route to go if you wanted to create DLLs for your EAs.

Note: Try not to get overwhelmed! It seems like a lot at first; take things one step at a time. :slight_smile:

got an access denied error message at the point of loading … Place the “Period_Converter_Opt.mq4” and “Period_Converter_Opt.ex4” files in the indicators folder of your MetaTrader 4 you just downloaded. Ex) "C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader 4\experts\indicatorsExtracting to "C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 4\experts\indicators"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no
Error: Access is denied.
Cannot create C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 4\experts\indicators\Period_Converter_Opt.ex4.
Administrative privileges may be required.
Severe Error: File creation failed.

hi,
Do the required software work on apple computer ?
thanks,
grace

Loving dis …

Is it wise to attempt to be learning a new trade style/process and learn C++ at the same time?

You need to give yourself administrative privileges in order to add/modify files that are saved in your Program Files (x86). Depending on which Windows OS you are running, you can easily search it up. :slight_smile:

I’m not 100% sure. I do know that MT4 has released a Mac version though. You could try it and let us know. :slight_smile:

What do you mean by this? Johnny is simply asking which language he should start learning if he were to take a look into programming. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Is it wise to attempt to be learning a new trade style/process and learn C++ at the same time?

Im not sure I understand the question but my immediate thought is…

my brain is soooo hungry. Must feed it yummy code lol!!!

@clark my friends husband is a software engineer and I had been considering going back to school for electrical engineering since my background is in electrical. But than I was thinking I should learn some programming and see if I totally suck or if I have potential, so than I was wondering what would be useful for me and that thought progression sort of led me towards c or c++ but I would hope whatever I learn is foundational in case I choose to persue programming.

Truth be told though I am way to old so I think I should stick to trading.

Without clogging up this thread, I will send you a PM and try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities.

Hi Clark,
I’m trying to download the data but this error keep occurring. Any ideas how to solve it ?
Thanks

Hi mooniekool,

Some of the earlier data tends to have gaps, I have not encountered such problems as I typically download only as early as 2009-2010.

Hi Clark,

I’m trying to convert tick data to 1M data by using your python script, but i got an error in the picture.
Do you have any idea what i did wrong? By the way, thank you so much for the guideline. It’s very useful.

Pic1: Before enter file name.

Pic2: After enter file name.

my problem has been resolved. I install python wrong version. it should be python3, but i install python2.7.5 :smiley:

Glad you figured it out. :slight_smile:

Hello,

Is there a function that I can have multiple trade’s overall profit to be monitored? In other words, if I have 4 trades open, 2 negative and two positive, but the overall total is, let’s say, 30 pips positive, for the system to automatically close all 4? I want to be able to monitor all four’s (or however amount’s) total profit. I hope the question makes sense. If this is the wrong spot for this question, I apologize if this is a wrong spot.

Hi Clark,

I can’t seem to get the csv file in the experts/file folder after I applied the Period_Converter (Multiplier 15). When I click on M15, I do not see the chart as well.

Thanks for any advice.

I’m sure you could code your own EA to do that. Perhaps there are ones online that already do that.

After applying this step, you will have the .csv file in your experts/files folder, again using the History Center, you can import that CSV file.

I will upload a more efficient method to do this soon. :slight_smile: