[TUTORIAL] Complete Backtesting and Analysis Setup (100% Free)

Hi Clark,

I manage to get the datatest running. However, I’m facing one problem and not sure if this is the right place to ask. I’m trying to backtest a grid EA and as we all know, grids open trades at certain pip intervals. I have this grid set to open trades @ 20pips interval. During the 3 month period test, the EA will only open one trade and let it run for the full 3 months till it ends without opening any more trades, even though we all know that markets do move more than 20 pips in 3 months.

I’m pretty sure there’s nothing wrong with the EA because I’m running it on a real money account and its opening trades just fine. Any recommendations and advice will be greatly appreciated.

I would look at the EA again, there must be something in the code.

HI Clark,

I have something to discuss with you. I recently get to know 1 method that is profitable since 2010 ( the year of this method created) until now. Can I?

sorry for jumping from beginning to end. Great Info. However, [B]Tickstory[/B] is an app that also downloads the dukascopy data automatically, stores it, converts it, and provided a MT4 launcher button to alow [B]99% backtesting modeling[/B]. At this point, I [U]upload my backtests to myfxbook[/U] strategies. By doing so, I think I can shave off a lot of the extra steps needed in this manual for backtesting.

99% is just something they put into the hst/fxt files (can’t remember exactly), it means nothing unless you actually know how the data is processed. I have looked at Tickstory before, and there are some issues with it. Without publicly giving it a bad name, I feel the StrategyQuant’s tool does a better job, and more efficient as well.

You’re welcome to use your own method of setting up backtests though. Whatever works for you. I’ve just put this thread up for the guys/girls who are new and don’t have a clue on how to start performing accurate tests.

hi clark, i am wondering why my EA can use the Strategy Tester in normal MT4 platform (with online condition) but when I tested it into the MT4 with dukascopy tick data, there’s no result at all. (all instructions from page 1 has been followed)

I have double checked with MACD Sample standard EA and it works just fine in this same terminal but when I try to test my EA it doesnt show anything. Why is that? (I dont use any custom indicator for this EA)

What about includes and libraries?

If your EA reads/writes files, you may need to give the “terminal.exe” administrator privileges. Simply right click on it, Properties, Compatibility tab, and check “Run this program as an administrator” (I do this with all my terminals anyways, just to be on the safe side).

Either than that, I’m not too sure. Since the MACD Sample is running without problems, my only guess would be that there’s something funny going on in the EA code. I would look over the source file (mql4) if you have it.

ok will send you a PM

Hi Clark,

If you would be kind enough to share your experience with us then we would be more than willing to look into the issues you had with Tickstory so we can address them. Please let us know either here or on our support forum.

Thanks for your feedback!

guys any idea how to test strategy that’s using custom indicator? I just cant upload them and get it in strategy tester. for example i have pivot indicators that also paint for previous days, and my strategy use it as part of the strategy, how do I make it work in strategy tester?

I have updated the first page of the thread to include a link which includes your own way to collect data from any broker through MetaTrader 4.

Hi Clark, I downloaded the data and I see the 1Min chart, I can convert to 5min but do i need to change the period converter to download another one.

edit, ahe yes if you want M5 data the converter = 2, but if you want another set of data changing the converter to another number allows you to convert that number… cool!

Glad you figured it out :slight_smile:

Hi Clark,
I would like to convert 1M data by using your Period_converter_opt. I follow the step but I didn’t see csv file in the folder(experts/files). Log message shows below as you can see in the picture. Do you know what I did wrong?

Running into some more trouble - the MT4 build is detecting ex4 files but not reading MQL4 files - am I missing something (MT4 build is 509)

Hi OnY,

The picture doesn’t show much information. The parameters are what I’d need to see.

What do you mean by this? MT4 runs .ex4 files, the .mql4 files is the source code which is opened using MetaEditor or any text editor.

When I open the strategy tester and try to activate the expert advisor it only activates the EX4 labelled ones not the MQL4 labelled ones (with a any live mt4 it opens both). Basically the MQL4 EAs I have do not run - is there a solution to this?

The Strategy Tester in the MT4 is used to backtest the EA. I don’t understand what you mean by “activate”.

To run an Expert Advisor you just simply drag it onto the chart of your market and timeframe.

Again, MQL4 is the SOURCE CODE, you have to compile it, and it will create the EX4, which does the actual work.

If you are new to MT4 and its automated trading I would strongly advise Google/YouTube so you can understand how it works. Some computer programming experience would help as well.

I’ve tested EAs before in the strategy tester both MQL4 files and EX4 files.

When you open MT4 you get the expert advisor tab which is a drop down menu. On this drop down menus you get all your EAs. These can be both MQL4 and EX4 files. For example you can have a Milliondollarpips.EX4 and a Milliondollarpips.MQL4 (this is just an example) or you can have a MACDsample.EX4 and a MACDsample.MQL4. The strategy tester seems to only run the EA with EX4 files and not the identical EA with MQL4 files. It is not a problem with the MQL4 file because they test fine under a strategy tester on another MT4 platform where I did not have to compile them first.