U.S. on the Brink of Meat Shortages

'Murica bout to run out of da meats!

Another huge meat plant has been closed indefinitely in the U.S., with experts saying the country is just weeks away from shortages.

Tyson Foods Inc. said Thursday it was shutting its beef facility in Pasco, Washington, while team members undergo testing for Covid-19. That’s adding to an avalanche of news that’s hit in just the past day. Tyson closed two of its key pork plants.

Case counts continued to mount, including in Canada, where industry groups are saying they’ll probably hold back some of what’s usually exported to the U.S. Meanwhile, the head of JBS SA, the world’s top meat producer, warned of shortfalls.

At least EIGHT major U.S. meat facilities have seen halts in the space of a few weeks.

The Tyson plant in Washington **produces enough beef in one day to feed FOUR MILLION PEOPLE, according to the company. It’s one of the few facilities in the northwestern U.S., with the capacity of 2,300 cattle a day.

Resuming operations is dependent on a variety of factors, including the outcome of team member testing and how long it takes to get results back.

The U.S. government on Wednesday pushed out its monthly figures on frozen food inventories, which stood in sharp relief against the backdrop of closures. One figure in particular might give even the naysayers pause.

Combined pork, beef and poultry supplies in cold-storage facilities now stand equal to roughly TWO WEEKS of total American meat production. With most plant shutdowns lasting about 14 days for safety reasons, that raises the potential for deficits.

Meat shortages will be occurring two weeks from now in the retail outlets,” Dennis Smith, a senior account executive at Archer Financial Services, said this week, citing industry sources. “There is simply no spot pork available. The big box stores will get their needs met, many others will not.”

Source: Bloomberg

Good that I’m a vegetarian. Sucks for the rest of you…
And the poor farmers and ranchers!

Due to lack of meats, some folks will shift demand to vegetables.

People still have to eat, so they’ll eat vegetables…begrudgingly.

Not sure there will be enough vegetables to meet the increased demand.

Especially if farmers keep destroying crops.

So it also might suck for vegetarians. :joy:

At least I got a couple weeks on you…? :wink:

Music to plant based, vegan peoples ears. Theyve been campaigning this for years. Might save the amazon rainforest too.

The problem is the processing of the animals, not the animal themselves.

Although that’s troubling also if animal farms run out of space, which they’re starting to.

Chicken farms are already slaughtering millions of chickens without them reaching the consumer market.

The industry term for killing the animals without sending them to market is called "depopulating flocks in the field”.

So far, chicken farmers still get paid but it’s a huge waste of chickens.

Many of them could’ve been part of millions of Chick-fil-A chicken sandwiches but sadly, that dream will not come to fruition.

US wholesale meat prices keep climbing as processing plants shut down.

Processing plant closures continue to wreak havoc on US meat markets.

Meat processing margins have spiked.

For folks who like avocados…

This President needs to do something!

Your wish is granted! :joy:

Wait! He signed an Executive Order.? Something’s fishy here…
That CAN’T be the right thing to do if Trump did it!

Cattle slaughter dropped 37% this week from a year ago… far outstrip[ping] the 10% to 15% in capacity that’s been halted with meat plants closed”, Bloomberg’s Michael Hirtzer wrote Friday afternoon. “Hog slaughter was down 35%, also topping the shutdown figure of 25% to 30%”.

The USDA underscored the point. “Since its peak in late March, federally inspected beef production fell almost 32% through the week ending April 25 as the rate of cattle slaughter declined at several beef packing facilities”, the government said Thursday.

That sharp deceleration in cattle slaughter rates obviously choked beef production. After flagging the impact of labor force absences caused by the proliferation of the virus, the USDA notes that this is “a time when cattle slaughter numbers increase seasonally”, but the “rates for the week ending April 25 were down 28% year-over-year”.

LOL. :joy:

Also, how long have you been a vegetarian? Would love to do it but tougher when your entire family’s a bunch of meat eaters. :cut_of_meat: :meat_on_bone:

Since 1975. And I’m not a vegetarian…I’ve been told it’s a pescatarian. I eat fish. Just nothing with lungs.
Oh, and by the way, I don’t care what you eat.

Ponponwei

It’s easy - don’t eat with people who eat murdered animals !

I stopped eating animals when a girlfriend told me to watch a repeat TV programme, that she had seen, on slaughter houses.
I said, “No - I know what slaughter houses are like, I’m going to the pub, but I promise never to eat animals again”
I’ve kept my promise for forty years.
Murdering animals should be illegal.
You can do it Ponponwei :wink:

Hey Gigarmanstan

I take it you are also a patriotic smoker :sunglasses:

Good man !

I do love my cigars…and bourbon…