U.S. Stock Market Predicts U.S. Election Winner

When the S&P 500 fell in the three months leading up to the November vote during a presidential election year, the incumbent president or party of the outgoing president has lost the election 88% of the time.

When the S&P 500 rises during that period, the incumbent or party of the outgoing president has won 82% of the time.

So what happened this year?

The S&P 500 fell 0.04% between July 31 and October 31.

That means the market forecasts that Joe Biden will win, according to CFRA Research’s Presidential Predictor.

trump-smile

Going back to 1944, it’s found that a positive move over that period usually corresponds to a presidential victory by the incumbent party, while a negative move signals a loss.

As a recent example, even when the polls were wrong in 2016, the stock market’s “presidential predictor” was right about who would win the election:

The S&P 500’s 2.2% decline in the three months leading up to November 2016 signaled that the incumbent party in the White House, the Democrats, would be replaced.

Thsi meant that Donald Trump would defeat Hillary Clinton despite what the polls said.

The CFRA Presidential Predictor’s only incorrect forecast when the market fell in the three months leading up to an election was in 1956, when incumbent President Dwight Eisenhower defeated Adlai Stevenson despite a 7.7% stock market decline during the Suez Crisis and the Hungarian Uprising.

What do the polls say?

Joe Biden is the strong favorite to win Tuesday’s US presidential election.

• The electoral model run by Nate Silver, the US pollster, puts the probability of a Biden win at 88%. (This still means Trump has a 12% chance which isn’t insignifcant.)
  • The Economist’s model assumes an even higher probability, of 95% in winning the electoral college and a 99% probability in winning the most votes.
  • The New York Times estimates that even if the polls were as wrong as they were in 2016, Biden would still win by a wide margin.
  • CNN polling shows Biden with a sizable head-to-head nationwide lead, and within striking distance of the 270 electoral votes needed to claim victory.
  • An average of recent polls compiled by RealClearPolitics gives Democratic candidate Joe Biden a 7.2 percentage point lead over US president Donald Trump.
  • Betting markets assess Mr Biden’s probability of winning as 64%

We’ll find out this Wednesday (Election Day)…

Or the next day or…

The week after, or maybe by December 14, when the Electoral College meets to vote, or maybe by January 20, 2020 (Inauguration Day) or maybe after?

It’s quite likely that a clear victor will not emerge on election night, and, possibly for weeks or even months, especially as early mail-in ballots past 90 million and counting.

Trump has questioned the validity of mail-in votes and suggested he might refuse to concede defeat. This could lead to days or weeks of uncertainty and legal battles in the case of a close outcome.

Three-quarters of Americans are concerned about the possibility of violence on and after Election Day,

It’s horribly uncertain, and that’s an ongoing problem for the markets.

The markets may not see much relief in the week ahead, with many investors and traders apprehensive about the possibility of an unclear or disputed election result.

2 Likes

Nate Silver says it’s still plausible for Trump to win. He gives it a 10% chance.

A fall of 0.04% in the S&P over 3 months is almost insignificant. Its small enough to be an outlier.

However, the bookies had already been giving Biden better odds by a much wider margin for several weeks.

There were three other instances when the S&P moved less than 1% in the data so I wouldn’t necessarily call it an outlier. A negative number is a negative number.

That said, certain market participants could’ve manipulated the index just enough to cross below the zero threshold knowing this indicators gets a lot of attention. :thinking:

1 Like

my prediction: If Biden wins Florida, he’ll be the next president - although Trump would remain in the White House for eleven more weeks to continue to do utmost harm to the US economy…

Trump is going to win by a land slide.

Mainstream polls are so off it’s not funny

Majority of democrats have already voted, 70% of republicans have not.

Biden needed to be well out performing so far, and he isn’t.

Infact counting ballots already in Trump is even leading in some states

Add a large vote for Trump in the black community and 70% of cuban vote things are not looking great for Biden.

Thank God

Don’t know what to believe in anymore. So I’ll just wait. Hope yall voted!

2 Likes

As of Friday morning, the race for president had yet to be called. However, former Vice President Joe Biden’s odds of winning improved as he took the lead in the battleground state of Georgia over President Trump.

Meanwhile, the prospect of a “blue wave” in Congress has been all but ruled out by investors. ‌

In scenarios where a Democrat is in the White House but Republicans control at least one chamber of Congress, average returns for U.S. equities have been fantastic, with the S&P 500 rising an average of 33.9% during these periods since 1989.

1 Like

You can take my very silly prediction a few posts ago back - Trump obviously didn’t win by a landslide.

I should stick to markets not political betting.

I do think there were more than a few shenanigans to say the least - but whether a recount in suspect states occurs I don’t know.

One thing I do know is I’m keeping my political opinions to myself in future, spent far too much time watching all the goings on, and it left me more than a bit frustrated.

Us traders need to keep our biases in check and not let ourselves get wrapped up in all the partisan politics

If Trump loses, he will be deprived of the mandatory spotlight he’s had since he became a candidate five years ago.

For someone who craves attention and relevancy the way Trump does, that’s probably a painful thought.

But there’s a simple way to avoid irrelevance: Turn around and immediately file to run for president again, in 2024.

Doing that would guarantee him a platform, since he has enough support to credibly pursue the nomination and would present a serious obstacle for other Republican hopefuls.