Understanding how many pips you have to blow your account

could somebody with vivid knowledge explain about how to understand how many pips will blow your account to help with my risk management I have a understanding already but need it to be fully polished

1 Like

It all depends on leverage and lot size. Experiment on a demo account first. Pips costs vary depending on what currency pairs you’re trading, but most USD pairs are stable.

For example, open any FX pair chart with a 100:1 leverage - or 200:1 - which stays static. Then place consecutive orders from 0.01 - 0.1 lot size upwards, and set a static S/L and T/P at 20 pips from the price action. You can move the S/L & T/P around to show your monetary risk by right clicking the dotted line and dragging it up and down on a MT4 or MT5 chart.

When your increased LOT SIZE at 20 pips produces a S/L monetary risk to your account that’s your answer.

Hope that helps.

By the way, I have a 200:1 leverage, lot size of 0.04 per most trades, and risk a max 1% per trade.
So you can see a $100 account is always at risk because you’re not going to just risk a paltry $1 per trade, are you? Whereas, I can risk $30 with a $3K account and lose 100 times consecutively before blowing it…

Have you completed Pipsology? You will find the answer to all basic questions in this free course!

https://www.babypips.com/learn