Understanding Price Action by Chris Capre

Hi 2ndSkies, two questions if you don’t mind

1. what is the difference between “price action” and the Nisen candle methods? It really seems like the same thing but renamed, but maybe I am missing some important point of difference.

2. Can you explain more about the retracement set-up which has a 75% chance of continuing in the direction of prior trend? Seems like a fantastic setup because it would be 75% success rate AND have a decent R/R if we think in terms of a flag/penent… ie risk just below the flag and a potential reward the length of the flag pole. BUT is there restrictions to when a retracement is 75% likely to then continue the trend? ie is this 75% chance of trend continuing a survey of ALL retracements, or do you mean 75% chance of success if the ‘price action’ of the retracement indicates the trend will continue, or only no nearby resistance etc etc?

Thanks, MZ

Hello MZ,

These are some good questions.

1. Candlestick methods are merely pattern based methods that when tested do not really pan out that well. In Bulkowski’s Encyclopedia of Candlestick charts, he tested these very same candlestick patterns over 4million plus candles, and out of 100 patterns, only 6 were a) both frequent enough to be useful and b) actually did what they were supposed to.

Candlestick trading as a whole is just reactive trading to patterns with very ineffective rules for trading these setups.

Trading price action is different because we aren’t just trading the patterns, we reading the price action in relationship to order flow, analyzing both prior price action, along with the live market PA, and then understanding the order flow behind it based on those. Only then do patterns come into play, but they are not for us to trade in a reactive fashion like candles, but more to give us an insight into the order flow, and discover what the professionals are doing. Then trade from that.

So quite a large gulf between the two.

1. Which retracement setup are you talking about as I have covered a lot in this thread. Let me know which ones you are referring to in particular (via quote) so I can give you a more specific answer.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Perhaps I was using the wrong terminology, but I was referring to the “corrective” moves which are followed by trend continuation 75% of the time. Seems like the only trade you’d need to know… find an impulse, wait for a correction then go with the trend. 75% success and I’m sure a good proportion would have good R/R as most likely breaking past resistance on the second impulse. But I assume there is more to achieving this success rate?

Which six were these, Chris?

Merchantprince,

Here’s a list of his top 10 patterns.

http://www.thepatternsite.com/CandleReverse.html

Hello Merchant,

Its been a while, but if I remember;
engulfing
morning and evening star
3 line and 3 crows

the others from what i remember will not happen much in forex because of the gaps which define those patterns
some of them need gaps 3x in a row, and that almost never happens in fx, stocks sure, fx, unlikely. so i rarely pay attention to them.

But, regardless of them, many if you learn to read price action are intuitive, but patterns by themselves are not the reason a move takes place, its the order flow behind them at the levels - the patterns are the result, not the cause, which is why I teach traders to learn how to read price action, not just be reactive to patterns.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards,
Chris

Hello MZ,

Ahh, ok, now I know what you are referring to. Yes, you hit it spot on when you said, ‘seems like the only trade you’d need to know…’ Although like a carpenter, its always good to have a variety of tools in your toolbox, yes, this is one of the most critical skill sets you can learn to read in terms of the price action, the impulsive and corrective price action moves which I link to earlier in this thread.

And yes, many have strong R/R’s, but they take some practice and skill to learn how to read correctly, how to combine them with the proper levels, patterns, etc. so correct you are in assuming there is more to it.

I’ll be going over some of those things in the coming days/weeks and continually expanding on this thread so stay tuned but I hope this helps for now. You can also check out several of the setups I’ve posted in this thread where I talk about role reversal levels and impulsive/corrective moves to pick up some ideas and patterns behind them.

Kind Regards,
Chris

AUDUSD
Yep, another day on the Aussie which happens to be one of my favorite pairs to trade daily. Yesterday I talked about how the impulsive price action selling on the pair, combined with a bearish engulfing bar, clued me into further selling for the pair.

As many of you know from my impulsive and corrective price action theory, the impulsive to corrective series will continue until it finds a counter-trend impulsive move. That is exactly what happened today, ironically via an intraday engulfing bar of the support zone we’ve been talking about around 1.0450 area. The pair then see-sawed for 3hrs forming a bear-bull-bear candle series, only to form a bullish engulfing bar communicating the buyers were now in full and others had joined the party.

The pair has since formed a flag/wedge at the top of the daily range, so am favoring the upside, but there is some decent resistance above with the daily highs at 1.0515, along with the 4hr 20ema at that same level. So it will need to clear this to bring in new bulls on a break, but if others suspect a STB (short term bottom) is in place, they will likely buy on a pullback to the key intraday flag support at 1.0496, so two plays for bulls while bears have their levels to sell at.

Global Market Commentary:
While global stocks continue to do nothing and have been as exciting as banging one’s head on a curb, investors are really just sitting on the sidelines praying hoping the CB’s of the world will hit CTRL + P and push markets higher, because we all know, a strong DOW is important to the economy for creating jobs.

Oil woke up from its crude slumber sparked by possible production/disruption fears as Saudi Arabia recalled its citizens from Lebanon, sparking general Mid-East/Iran War fears.

I would like to note the ultra low volume in the S&P which has been some of the lowest in years. In fact, its intraday ranges for the last 8 days have been so dismal, that 7 of the last 8x we had 8 day trading ranges this low, it has usually market a significant top in the S&P. So we could be seeing a major top in the index which is hovering just below the yearly highs and double top at 1420.

Upcoming Economic Events:

AUD Consumer Inflation Expectation 01.00GMT 21.00EST
AUD Average Weekly Wages (YoY) 01.30GMT 21.30EST
GBP Retail Sales (YoY) 08.30GMT 04.30EST
EUR EZ Consumer Price Index 09.00GMT 05.00EST
USD Housing Starts 12.30GMT 08.30EST
USD Philadelphia Fed. 14.00GMT 10.00EST

Hi Chris,

l’d be very interested to hear what you think of the Pin Bar on the AUDUSD Daily Chart. Also should any of these news items you list be taken into consideration for a trade off the Daily Chart?

Although in some respects it could be seen as a decent long play l am quite wary as the candle is quite small and although its bounced off the 20ema it hasn’t closed above the Big Round Number and previous pullbacks have fallen deeper in the channel, below the 20ema.So l am thinking it could fall a little more and l should hold fire. Would welcome your thoughts!

Thanks in advance!

Good question Michael, yeah, this could be useful as its at a good level and also off the daily 20ema. In terms of the news items, they likely will have a short term effect on the pair, but not enough to direct the price action through london.

But if you’re wary of it, wait for the topside and weakness leading into it so you can sell the rally. But if it breaks the 1.0445, then we should see much more downside imo.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards,
Chris

[B]But if you’re wary of it, wait for the topside and weakness leading into it so you can sell the rally.[/B]

Not sure what you mean by this Chris…could you expand a little please?

if you’re thinking of a long using the pin bar, but not sure of it, and would rather sell, wait for price to climb in a weak fashion, then sell at resistance

hopefully this makes sense

kind regards
chris

Now l see your point …thanks!
What l was thinking was that it may well be a long play but possibly only after it as fallen to the bottom of the channel but as you say it could climb weakly and maybe even form a Double Top and make a great short.l’ll monitor this pair closely!

Thanks again!

IBEX 35 (Spanish Bolsa/Stock Exchange)
Wanted to mix things up a bit with a different instrument today - this time the Spanish Bolsa or Ibex 35 which has broken a key resistance and double top at 7224 which I talked about on my twitter and facebook accounts ahead of time.

What’s interesting to note in the price action and chart below is the strong close for today, along with the tiny wick at the bottom - communicating buying straight from the open (conviction heading into resistance). This along with the weak 3 candle pullback from the last touch at the 7224 resistance, suggested the sellers could not muster a strong response, nor bring in other traders to their cause.

Now that the market has clearly broken through the key resistance level with a strong breakout bar, I suspect any pullbacks into this level would hold (barring any really bad news out of Spain which could happen), but if the pullback is corrective and weak in nature, then I suspect higher prices, so watch for a breakout pullback setup at the aforementioned resistance turned support. I never thought I’d want to be long the Bolsa, but its a good lesson for traders to not let bias interfere with missing a good trading opportunity, so am enjoying the friction.

Frau Merkel tried a different mantra than her usual ‘Nein’ today, with supportive remarks about doing what is necessary to save the Euro. This gave investors a boost of confidence the main funding backstop for Europe (i.e. German taxpayers) will save the sinking ships called Spain, Greece and Italy. That combined with global traders still pricing in QE3, or some other 2, 3 or 4 letter CB easing policy, helped buoy global markets.

Housing Starts and the Philly Fed both came in lower than expectations which in turn put pressure on the USD.

Gold gained $9.70 on the day to close at $1616 while crude is pressing up against key resistance at $95.21.

Upcoming Economic Announcements:

EUR German Producer Prices (YoY) 06.00GMT 02.00EST
CAD Bank Canada Consumer Price Index Core (YoY) 12.30GMT 08.30EST
USD U. of Michigan Confidence (AUG P) 13.55GMT 09.55EST
USD Leading Indicators 14.00GMT 10.00EST

Im glad to see you on here Chris! Im looking forward to learning from you

Hello Blessedtrader,

Is this you Prem? Been a long time my friend. How are you?

Thanks for the kind words - good to be here.

Kind Regards,
Chris

No, My name is steve. But I have just discovered your webinars on fx street. You appear to have alot of unique and successful ideas when it comes to trading, so Im looking forward to learning from you, thanks so much!!

Hello Steve,

Pleasure to meet you. I have a friend who often uses a similar name, but thank you for the kind words.

Yes, I feel like I have some unique ideas about the market, price action and ichimoku so hopefully they can be of benefit to yourself and others.

Kind Regards,
Chris

EURUSD
For the last 7 days, the price action for the Euro has been stuck inside a 125pip range playing see-saw with the bulls and bears changing color almost daily. This could be due to typical August / low volatility, investors waiting for their CB’s to hit CTRL+P and help save the ailing banks and countries to prop up the market (read help Bank Executives), or people just uncertain what will happen in the EZ. Regardless, if this continues, its best to employ shorter term trading strategies on the 1hr or lower time frames while the range holds and play reversion to the mean plays.

Near term levels to watch on the upside are 1.2385 and 1.2441 (short/medium term), while 1.2260 and 1.2166 to the downside.

AUDUSD
Closing for the first time below the daily 20ema and dynamic support in 15 days, this is the 4th time it has done so since the bounce off the yearly lows on June 1st. Each time it did this (close below 20ema), the next day was an up day or bull close. Although the day is starting off like this and price retreated towards the medium term channel bottom, for some reason this time looks a little different.

Why?

Well, this is the deepest penetration and close on the other side since this channel for starters. But its also the longest pullback of the 4 so far, telling us the bears were able to hold the bulls back for a longer period of time. Keep in mind the pair has gained over 1000pips in 2.5mos so it might be time for a deeper retracement before seeing if the bulls really want to give the upside another go.

If the channel holds, then the downside should be kept in check between 1.0360/1.0390-ish. However, if that fails, then expect further unwinding with 1.0242 and 1.0175 coming under pressure but bulls wanting to get in have their levels and play while bears can wait for a break of the channel before getting short, or a pullback that fails to make it above 1.0524/30 area where price sold off aggressively and sellers entered the market heavy along with stale longs taking profits.

Oil
In early August, the commodity broke above the Daily Kumo for the first time since the end of March. Since then, it executed a textbook kumo break pullback to the flat top which I have talked about as a common thing amongst kumo breaks. Since then, it has climbed for 5 days in a row, clearing the key resistance at $95.30 (May swing low support).

With the chikou now clear of the Kumo, along with the tenkan and kijun, the commodity has clear skies ahead of it, along with a clear ichimoku N wave structure, so I am expecting more gains ahead. The next layer of resistance comes in at $98.06 but after that, I don’t see much stopping it until 3 digits ($100) a barrel. Keep in mind, any news coming out of Iran or the middle east could exacerbate upside gains.

Gold
True to form, Gold has for the last 15weeks in a row alternated perfectly between bull and bear closes without fail. Last week the price action was threatening the pattern, but sure enough, it closed bear side (albeit slightly). This highlights the indecision of the market on both sides, but no doubt, there is a subtle fight going on. Although there could be another leg down towards the $1550/30 area which has held for almost a year now, I suspect there is a subtle accumulation going on while the precious metal is cheap.

Central banks have been buying up large amounts of gold along with China, and this slow but subtle lifting of the lows suggests this may be happening.

Regardless, the twin compressions of the larger one year triangle and shorter term wedge in play (see chart below) are coming to a terminus point soon, and rarely do these go to the full end, so I suspect a breakout very soon, likely by early Sept at the latest. Bulls can wait for a pullback either to the $1580/90 area for the more aggressive players, or towards medium term support around $1550, while bears can look to sell above the key resistance at $1631 which the metal has not closed above since the first week in May.

Silver
Being the little brother of the precious metals (to Gold that is), Silver broke the stalemate (and malaise) as it broke and closed above the key $28.36 resistance level. And she arrived - doing so in impressive fashion with a strong breakout bar and good follow through, suggesting likely continuation. You can see further details of this with the strong close on the breakout bar, along with the no wick on the following bar, communicating the metal was bought from the open.

As you can see, there was also plenty of pre-breakout pressure or tension building up with the higher lows, along with the recent price action squeeze and consolidation holding above the 20ema, just before the final push.

However, we have to be cautious before bulls uncork the champagne, for even though it crossed the short term marginot line at $28.36, which has not seen a daily close above this since June 19th, the weekly 20ema is just ahead, which was today’s high. Silver has not closed above this since March 9th this year, so you can bet there are probably some bearish models considering selling here.

Should the precious metal close above this weekly 20ema, expect further upside and new long term models to get long. Intraday traders can wait for pullbacks to the prior resistance level which now becomes support for a possible breakout pullback setup.

For most people needing a nap, today was a good day as the markets pretty much trotted in place and the big winner in the US indices was the Dow losing a Whopping 3.56pts. Most of the volatility potential was taken out as the ECB quelled speculation about more intervention to save the EZ debt issues (as if printing solved that in the past).

This was due to the Der Spiegel article suggesting it (the ECB) was considering buying debt issued by Spain and Italy should the rates hit untenable levels. Of course the Bundesbank reminded people of its opposition to bond purchases (considering none of the countries have met their obligations yet).

The main winners on the day was Apple which touched the mark of the beast hitting $666 before closing just below it at $665.60. Also, Gold gained solidly (under-performing v. Silver) adding $3.80 while Oil pulled back to the crucial $95.32 level before bouncing to close at $95.92, down $.09 on the day.

Upcoming Economic Announcements:

AUD Reserve Bank Board - August Minutes 01.30GMT 21.30EST
NZD Reserve Bank of New Zealand 2-Year Inflation Expectation 03.00GMT 23.00EST
GBP Public Sector Net Borrowing (Pounds) 08.30GMT 04.3EST
JPY Adjusted Merchandise Trade Balance (Yen) 23.50GMT 19.50EST