US DOJ recovers $3.5bn in stolen bitcoin from 2016 Bitfinex hack

Can you say wow!

The original 120000 btc stolen were worrh $60m at the time.

Who are Ilya Lichtenstein and wife Morgan? All I’m reading is that they were in control of the wallet where the stolen bitcoin were sent.

More hacks and more drama.

This time, good news.

Message to Bitfinex Exchange users posted to the website:

We are pleased that the U.S. Department of Justice has today announced that it has recovered a significant portion of the bitcoin stolen during the August 2016 security breach. We have been cooperating extensively with the DOJ since its investigation began and will continue to do so.

Bitfinex will work with the DOJ and follow appropriate legal processes to establish our rights to a return of the stolen bitcoin. Bitfinex intends to provide further updates on its efforts to obtain a return of the stolen bitcoin as and when those updates are available.

If Bitfinex receives a recovery of the stolen bitcoin, as described in the UNUS SED LEO token white paper, Bitfinex will, within 18 months of the date it receives that recovery use an amount equal to 80% of the recovered net funds to repurchase and burn outstanding UNUS SED LEO tokens. These token repurchases can be accomplished in open market transactions or by acquiring UNUS SED LEO in over-the-counter trades, including directly trading bitcoin for UNUS SED LEO.

We want to express our appreciation for the dedication and hard work by the DOJ team that led to this great success. We will continue to support their efforts.

My question still is whether Iiya was the hacker who stole the funds initially. I’m hoping we’ll learn more about this in the coming days. The DOJ filing goes on to say the two withdrew something like 25,000 btc. At a price of $35k, that’s $875m.

Here some more info to add to they mystery

Still a bit strange, these two.