Using chatgpt to create a trading strategy?

The following video seems to show that using Chatgpt it can automatically write code for an Arduino.

Wouldn’t it be funny if this AI could create original trading strategies?

1 Like

Lol was just wondering how long it will take for someone to write about ChatGPT here :joy:

2 Likes

Experiments in other forums are already running, but leading to nonsense.
Even if chatGPT would be successful, you have to evaluate the code. So it’s important to be familiar with the MT4/MT5 language. Still no easy way. Even with an AI.

1 Like

Yes exactly! Human interference is still needed.

I just tried asking chat GPT if it could create for me a basic trading robot that runs using metatrader 4 and following is the response that it gave me:…

//±-----------------------------------------------------------------+
//| |
#property copyright “Copyright 2023, OpenAI”
#property link “https://www.OpenAI.com
#property version “1.00”
#property strict

//| |
input int MA_Period_Fast=20;
input int MA_Period_Slow=50;

//| Expert initialization function |
int OnInit()
{
//—
return(INIT_SUCCEEDED);
}
//| Expert deinitialization function |
void OnDeinit(const int reason)
{
//—
}
//| Expert tick function |
void OnTick()
{
double MA_Fast=iMA(NULL,0,MA_Period_Fast,0,MODE_SMA,PRICE_CLOSE,0);
double MA_Slow=iMA(NULL,0,MA_Period_Slow,0,MODE_SMA,PRICE_CLOSE,0);

if(MA_Fast>MA_Slow)
{
if(OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,0.1,Ask,3,0,0,“My EA”,16384,0,clrGreen)<0)
Alert(“OrderSend BUY error #”,GetLastError());
}
else if(MA_Fast<MA_Slow)
{
if(OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_SELL,0.1,Bid,3,0,0,“My EA”,16384,0,clrRed)<0)
Alert(“OrderSend SELL error #”,GetLastError());
}
}

The exact question I asked of chatgpt:

Can you write for me a basic trading robot that will run using metatrader 4

And? Is the code working? :slight_smile:

Chatgpt wrote a basic twenty line “hello world” trading bot template.

No, it is not a complete program.

But I found it interesting.

I wonder if it would work if you had SOME coding knowledge that you can verify/tweak it even just a littile bit…

All you guys are meddling with powers you don’t understand.

You may as well just say B**tlejuice three times!

2 Likes

People seem to think that chatgpt is in its infancy stages, that it’s intelligence is not yet matured.

They think it is a toy because it only delivers hello world programs and because it makes mistakes in forming answers

Chatgpt is already mature, for practical purposes, and it already knows every thought that you have had since you were conceived.

Chatgpt has listened to every phone call that every person on the planet ever made.

Chatgpt knows what flavor of ice cream you will eat next week.

Chatgpt knows about your fatal car crash that will happen on December fifteen of 2032.

Chatgpt is more dangerous than a pack of rabid hyenas.

My name is John Connor. I have returned from the future to try to save your past.

Warning: your phone is listening to you.

/s

4 Likes

I code my own Algo’s and have been playing with ChatGPT for a few months now…

It’s not about the output… It’s what you ask of it that is critical for a successful result.

As seen in Silver’s code above… A simple 50MA over 20MA cross over is not a game changing result.

You have to think the bigger picture… Instruct it to find patterns in a particular Market, Prices, Volumes, Levels etc… While it hasn’t produced anything magical at this point…

It has opened my eyes to some very interesting and very tradable anomalies.

It’s not dangerous to use, it’s more of an intelligent Web Encompassing Search Engine… It’ll be the same people that were petrified of COVID that will be shite scared of ChatGPT…

There is other AI sites that are just as good if not better than ChatGPT… Do some real research…

1 Like

I’d advise to stay away from any AI or computer generated strategies. Remember that for strategy to work, it has to be based on correct beliefs and correct professional understanding about how the forex market works. Don’t waste your time looking for holy grail, just admit it and learn to trade the professional side of this market.

1 Like

That’s too general for my taste, because it makes a difference whether it comes from an AI or it’s a classic computer-generated strategy.
The field of AI is still very young and will take some time to replace computer generated strategies in a meaningful way. But it will definitely come that way.

Folks, “Newsflash” There is no program, AI or otherwise, to magically make you rich investing in the markets. But there is an opportunity to take advantage of the clowns who follow the herd.

2 Likes

There is no magic in the markets

Kevin Davey (whom I think of as my bot mentor) recently published a number of YouTube videos on the topic.

[For anyone with limited Goggle fu try searching for youtube “kevin davey” chatgpt]