Vertical vesa mount on a particleboard desk

Hi guys, I am planning to do a vertical vesa mount dual monitors setup right now. The problem is, I am currently still using a cheap gaming desk that using particleboard material I believe which I am not sure if it could stand the mount.

I am going to mount a 24" inch monitor at the top and then bottom 30" inch ultrawide monitor. I did bought a plate kit together with the mount and waiting for it to arrive.

So, while I am waiting for it, I am curious if anyone did this before? Mounting monitors on a cheap desk somewhat similar as mine?

That depends on how cheap the desk is. It might seem ok depending on the thickness of said desk, how wide the mount is, how wide the anchors are on the mounting screws, how tall the mount is, and if you expect anything to ever bump into it.

Any pics to help us understand?

Sure. These are some of the pics that might get you an idea:

The thickness of the desk is about 2cm or so. You can feel that the desk is not sturdy. I’m concern that it might break down.

1 Like

This might sound crazy, but maybe you can swap out the table top with some plywood instead? That’ll be sturdier.

Call me weird, but you might be able to put some plywood, fasten it, and just cover it with a table cloth from a used clothing store. You can tell aesthetics is not my concern.

Another idea could be just to get some longer screws and anchors, and put a square 15-20cm plywood plate underneath for additional support. This way, the weight is farther distributed across the desk, as opposed to all the weight falling into a 6cm square (grommet), or a 3cm space (aryl mount).

What do you think?

Of course, you could also just leave the monitors on the stands they come with and see how that feels, first. You’ve got a really wide desk, after all.

Don’t soup it up. Just leave it meat & potatoes.

1 Like

I’ve thought of this and it’s possible to custom this around my area also. I will reconsider on this after a few more months whether to proceed with this one or invest a smart desk instead. I need to do some price negotiation with the carpenter first.

Well, whatever works. Hahaha.

I’ll give it a try in case the metal I’ve bought doesn’t work.

Yeah. This would be my safest last resort.

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I appreciate it. :pray:

1 Like

I just had a thought…

If you’re dealing with a carpenter, you may as well save up as much money for this as possible, and get the desk you really really want–no shortcuts. The design and purpose that you want. You’re doing it once, hopefully, so do it well.

That is, if you go with the carpenter. Of course, you could just stack some plywood on top of some milkcrates and call it a day.

1 Like

Thank you for the idea. I will make sure to use one of the ideas given in case my desk couldn’t sustain it.

By the way, I’ve just received most of the things I’ve ordered except for the HDMI extender. So far, I think it should be able to sustain for a while because of the metal I’ve bought along with the vesa mount. Quite sturdy I would say. But, the mount couldn’t support the 30" inch monitor so I’ll just use the stand instead. Let’s see how it goes. Can’t wait to get my hdmi extender. LOL.

2 Likes

Do you have your tower already? I’m guess you’re gonna have it on the desk, as opposed to on the floor, right?

Yes, I have it already. But I’m only able to mount the 24" monitor as the 30" is a bit too heavy for the mount to withstand.

Yeah, not on the floor. Hahaha. The cheap gaming desk seems to be able to withstand the mount for now because I bought the mount along side with 1 set of metal plate to support the mount also.

1 Like

I have a friend who did a setup like this but on a costco table. Not sure if that’s particleboard but here’s how it looks like:

It worked out. He did have to put some sort of slab though at the base of it.

1 Like

It does look neat also.

Did you end up doing it btw? How did it work out?

1 Like

I use the gaming chair that I’ve bought. I thought it was flimsy at first, but it did able to handle the weight. I love it. I did all the DIY cable management also and it looks neat. Now I only need mouse mat to complete the setup.

1 Like

At first I was gonna suggest a foam mouse pad.

But then I remembered ergonomic mouses. They bypass the need for a pad altogether.

imagen

This way, your wrist is not even on the table. Simultaneous wrist restriction and movement can cause Carpol Tunnel Syndrome. But with a vertical mouse, the weight of your arm is falling on the side of your palm, as opposed to your wrist.

Have you considered this?

1 Like

Something like this is good enough for me.

1 Like

That certainly looks like a lot of space. You’re almost done!

1 Like

I’ve tried this one and hated it! It was too bulky :joy:

1 Like

But did your carpol tunnel pain go away?
Sure, it’s bulky, but you can get used to that. That bulky feeling is better than permanently damaging your hand, right?

True. I’m now using a less bulky version of that. What I need to keep using is this:

It’s a wrist support for your mouse hand!

1 Like