Veteran traders, was it easier to make money from forex 10 years ago?

With all the regulations surrounding the forex trading industry, was it easier to make money 10 years ago? Perhaps with fewer traders now bec of the strict rules, there’s also less volatility making it harder for us newer traders to win more pips? Was it easier or faster to score 100 pips then?

Would love to hear from traders who have been trading for years. :slight_smile:

Trading will always be challenging.

The markets have an uncanny ability to consistently take money from the majority. This will always be the case and is independent of market conditions and regulations. Volatility can always be and should always be adjusted for. So, average daily ranges may have been more back then, but stop losses were placed further away too.

Actually, there are more traders now than there was 10, or 20 years ago. Volumes are also much greater today than they were back then. Today, we are talking about a $5 trillion dollar per day business. 10 years ago it was about $3 trillion dollars per day, 10 years before that, it was less.

Transaction fees and spreads are also much less today and there is greater choice of brokers to trade with it.

2 Likes

Wow. I cannot believe so many people wrote you full book volumes on such a simple question.

Your question is wrong, simple as that.

It is easier than ever to score 100 pips. My own broker just added an extra decimal to my trading platform 4-6 months ago. extra digit = extra pip per movement.

This means that you can reach a 100 pips much easier than 10 years ago, it also means you will lose your 100 pips before you even realized how to spell the word T-R-A-D-I-N-G.

The % of people doing trading now versus 10 years ago is stupidly high, hence the fact that traders are warned about brokers that are not above board.

Can you make 100 pips?..LOL

Sometimes it is unclear whether one’s ignorance is greater than one’s arrogance.

2 Likes

That extra digit is referred to as a point. Which is one tenth of a pip.

Where you think you are making 100 pips, you are actually only making 10 pips. 10 pips is 100 points.

Your broker is also way behind other brokers in adding the 5th decimal place to their quotes. This is a years old improvement to retail forex trading platforms

The purpose of the 5th decimal place is to provide a more precise rate of exchange. It is not to make it easier or have traders believe they are making 10x more money from small price movements.

2 Likes

I am very sorry that my “long” post was so offensive for you. I have deleted it and i hope you can rest in peace now.

That is just stupid…You left the post calling me ignorant and arrogant. Not fair.

You didnt have to react just because someone made a long post.

Your response was actually incorrect and that is why you got the reply that you did.

True, my apologies.

1 Like

This is so true.

Edit… As an observation in general.

Each decade has its own challenges. If you follow your rules, be patient, be disciplined, and not sabotage your trades, you will eventually succeed. You wont even count how much pips you made or lost if you have the right mindset. And i will just leave it at that.

you have it the wrong way round. anyone who talks about achieving so many pips per day, has no clue about how trading works. It is about risk management. Keep thinking in terms of pips and you will end up in the poor house - guaranteed. Think in terms of risk and you have a good chance in this business.

Charting packages get better and better, but the rules are still the same as they were 50 years ago. ive been at this 30 years now and can confirm its same old. business as usual. nothing changes in price action and human behaviour.

I was asking my question out of curiosity but did not expect such a sarcastically written answer.

Thank you to everyone else though who took the time responding to my question @ProfitPotential @taraksias @johnftseman

I’m also a bit lost because I don’t see the “long post” referenced here.

This is interesting. For some reason I thought the markets are less volatile (maybe even harder to manage with algo trading also present?) nowadays.

Ah yes this was it. But good to know this is still a growing industry.

Thanks for your kind responses!

Don’t be in a rush…to make high pips thus high money…Enjoy the ride…

Join Etoro it has a forum with many seasons traders…Hope this helped

Would I be wrong if I call that point a pipette instead?

No, you wouldn’t be wrong but it is most commonly referred to as a point.

1 Like

Etoro is stupid. Speculation driven.

I don’t mean any disrespect, since I am an Etoro member. You only use Etoro as a guideline when nothing makes sense. Gauge the market when technical analysis is not lining up with market movement.

I responded to your message saying that it was sarcastically-written and you respond back to me with such phrases. Tell me I’m wrong that you’re being very mean-spirited?