Walk Forward Analysis

Hi everyone,

I want to do Walk Forward Analysis (WFA) on my automated trading systems, but could not find any free software that is capable. I don’t mind doing WFA manually or automated as long as it is free. I have found free historical M1 data so data is not an issue.

Any help is appreciated , thanks!

If you don’t mind doing it manually, then just use MT4 and manipulate the results from Excel.

So I will just use the strategy tester in MT4 for optimizing my in-sample periods and doing backtests with those optimized parameters on out-of-sample periods.

What do you mean by manipulation of results in Excel, can you elaborate?
And if I get tired of doing it manually :D, which software would you recommend (free)?

Did anyone use Zorro Trader for WFA? It seems to be free and capable of a lot of stuff.

1 Like

I doubt there’s any free software that would do a good job. If you want to save money, expect to pay that with time.

Hi Clark!

First off - thank your for being a great inspiration to me. Just read your bio and I can just take my hat of and salute you. I think you are a great contributer to this forum and hope that will last for a long time.

The reason I write to you, is that I kindly ask you to shed some light on a topic that I started the other day: 301 Moved Permanently

Thank you, have a great day!

Assuming that the data and system’s rules are the same, what qualities differentiate a “good job” and a bad WFA done with a software?

Lots of factors. Ease of use, speed, flexibility for parameter selection, ability to use custom fitness measure, accuracy, etc. I’ve only seen 1-2 free ones which are just hacked up and utilizes MT4 backtester (which is no good to begin with).

You get what you pay for, it’s your choice but don’t expect the same quality that you’d get from high-quality commercial software.

Considering flexibility for parameter selection, ability to use custom fitness measure and accuracy, which software would you recommend paid and free?

Free

• None

Paid

• MultiCharts/MultiCharts.NET
  • TradeStation
  • NinjaTrader

If you know how to code, you can make your own backtester/WFA. That would be the best option since you can design it in any way you want.

It hurt :D.

I know basic programming like C but to code my own backtester and WFA, which kind of languages should I learn?

Doesn’t really matter what language. Any works, just a matter of preference. C, C++, .NET, Java, Python, R, MATLAB would all work and I’ve seen it done on all of them

Yes, I use it. I have used for a while the free version than I purchased the “gold” one. I have spent a lot of time evaluating software for trading algos. My first choice was multi-charts, but too much expensive, Zorro was a good compromise.

1 Like