Want to open my account on another computer...gritting teeth

Hello all,

Here are the deets of my problem: I have MT4 intalled on a windows 8 laptop running a demo account. I want to access the same account from my travelling netbook (runs windows 7 starter) to continue practice. I downloaded MT4 onto the netbook and canceled the auto window inviting me to create an account.

When I try to login with my credentials (on the netbook), I get alternating messages…‘invalid account’ or ‘no connection’. I have double checked my credentials by exiting MT4 on the laptop and logging back in successfully. I restarted the netbook but have not reinstalled MT4 on it…yet.

Also, when I tried (and tried) to log in on the netbook, I had to type my server name (which I got from the double check login on the laptop) into the appropriate window. During one of the many login attempts, I used the ‘relocate server’ command but no additional servers appear in the drop down on the login screen. Sound advice needed, sympathy and commiseration appreciated, humor appreciated :38:.

1 Like

The best thing is to contact your broker… they will know for sure… Once I had a similar problem but it turned out I’ve been using the wrong server to log in…but your problem is probably something else…

“Invalid Account” - Wrong Credentials
"No Connection" - Server issue, usually incorrect server selected.

Have You downloaded the MT4 platform from the broker’s site or elsewhere? Broker’s should have servers pre-configured. If You are typing the server name in the terminal that was not downloaded from a broker it will not work, You will need to enter the server IP.

Downloaded from MT4 website…just a demo acct so no broker pre-config. Will try entering server IP. I also loaded MT4 mobile on android and did not have a problem…would be nice if the program were that user friendly across add devices.

Does the IP address go in the server drop down? If so, it seems to have not worked. If not, where does it go?
thanks.

Okay, did more digging and found this to work:
Live Servers:
mt4r01.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in USD for FXCM-USDReal01)
mt4r02.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in EURO for FXCM-EURReal01)
mt4r03.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in YEN for FXCM-JPYReal01)
mt4r04.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in GBP for FXCM-GBPReal01)
mt4r05.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in AUD for FXCM-AUDReal01)
mt4r06.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in USD for FXCM-USDReal02)
mt4r07.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in YEN for FXCM-JPYReal02)
mt4r08.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in CAD for FXCM-CADReal01)

Demo Servers:
mt4d01.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in USD for FXCM-USDDemo01)
mt4d02.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in EURO for FXCM-EURDemo01)
mt4d03.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in YEN for FXCM-JPYDemo01)
mt4d04.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in GBP for FXCM-GBPDemo01)
mt4d05.fxcorporate.com (for accounts denominated in AUD for FXCM-AUDDemo01)
Credit: dailyfx.com (thank you!!).
I also found the demo server using the netstat -f command prompt of my original laptop but only used the IP address with no success. When I saw that the URL address above matched the non-IP part of the results, I put it in and BINGO!

Now…I’m using an AUD denominated account?? How does MT4 decide which server you are assigned? I don’t recall picking AUD from an US computer…hhmmm:34:

Good that you got it sorted. Sorry wasn’t here earlier yesterday to assist with anything.
Regarding server IPs, yes it has to be entered in the dropdown box of servers, reason it failed before might have been a typo, but it doesn’t matter now since it’s good. Mobile Terminals are getting Server Data from MetaQuotes
If the account is Demo, currency should have been on the first page of accouny opening process. AUD also makes sence as in the list of vase currencies it would be first

Hi Seroflorus,

You would have selected AUD either on the FXCM website or on MT4 itself, if you created your demo using the Open an Account function on the platform. That said, I notice your forum profile says you live in Asheville, North Carolina. If that’s the case, I suggest using an FXCM US demo denominated in USD. There are a couple of reasons for this.

[ol]
[li]As a US resident, your trades would have to comply with CFTC regulations regarding margin, and FXCM US demos have these margin settings by default.
[/li][li]If you intend to deposit and withdraw funds in US dollars, then it’s best to have a USD-denominated trading account to avoid physical conversion fees which are higher than the spread for speculative trades placed within your account. (If you feel the Australian dollar will appreciate versus the US dollar, you can always express this view by place in a long-term AUD/USD trade within your account.)
[/li][/ol]

If you have any other questions regarding your FXCM demo, please feel free to ask me in the Broker Aid Station.

1 Like

This was very helpful…it turned out to be a benefit for me to struggle a little (as usual) and get help here.

I don’t have long track record in the MT4 world (I switched over from MT5 because I could find more online support) so I think I’ll just open a new account (USD) and learn a new password; I feel a bit silly now that I’ve spent time, effort and energy to get the AUD account to open on the travel laptop, just to end up opening a new account anyway…I can only hope the experience will serve me in the future.

Thanks, all!