Warning about EA development at Upwork.com

Just thought I’d share my terrible experience contracting from Upwork.com. First off they seem to facilitate legitimate EA programmers and reviews always seem good. So, I contracted one of them to build 2 EA’s for me and all seemed well initially so I paid and left a good review.

However, as with any software bugs appeared over time and when I requested bug fixes eventually all went quiet and the contractor obviously had no interest in fixing the faulty product.

I contacted Upwork’s support structure and they pretended to try help for some time. End result is I’m out of pocket for 2 EA’s that only work partially and not as intended. Upwork and the contractor have happily kept the money and unfortunately no consumer protection recourse exists for international clients. (I use the term clients but I guess Upwork considers us suckers to be drained of cash while they can).

So beware everyone and avoid Upwork like the plague.

David

That stinks. I’ve used a competitor in the past, and my tip is to just set the ground rules for support/revisions/on going development/testing before any money exchanges hands. That way you have a paper trail and something to take to the company. At worst you can share your review about the programmer with the rest of the community to make them aware of your experience.