What about the Unity?

Yes. Its getting worse dayby day. But as the article says, Westminster politicians are off on vacation for a month. Funny, as in every normal job you cant go on vac for the first 6 months when you just entered the job, but Boris Johnson (having the job since 2-3 weeks) already at the beach somewhere tanning.

Or was it his job to get the PM position and now he thinks “i did my job, im PM now, lets relax a bit”? …Who knows.

1 Like

WHO KNOWS…?

I don’t like middlemen. I would feel much safer if we could decide directly, bypassing politicians. Watch the video, it is worth it. Only 12 mins.

Will do when im home. Typing on smartphone the entire day, taking too much bandwich to watch videos.

This was all from a smartphone? You have some SERIOUS typing skills…

1 Like

Haha thank you.

Around 95% of all of my posts are from my phone.

1 Like

Wow, impressive.

You also trade from your phone?

1 Like

The union of the 4 home countries into the United Kingdom survives only as long as each continues to benefit. Same as the EU. If Scotland feel they are treated unfairly in the union they have the right to exit. If it came down to the crunch, I couldn’t place an alliance between my country and others above my country.

It would be very hard to stomach if the UK government successfully completed its exit from the EU but barred the home countries from following a parallel process with regards the UK union.

1 Like

It seems to me that the opposing fractions try to solve this issue with reason and economical forecasts, with pledges to a shared unity and pointing out that together we are stronger than alone.

Those pledges have not fared well at all in the 2016 brexit referendum when the exact same words have been used by remain supporters.

Is it reason that should be focused on/adressed or emotions?

Edit: in the 2016 brexit referendum the parliament, the british PM and around 82% of the MPs were for remaining. The majority for remaining in the elected leaders did not help. In 2019 the majority of the scottish leaders are pro-independence. Will this change the outcome of a potencial future scotish independence?

Its great to see Labour tying itself in knots over Brexit and Scottish independence.

On the one hand they are committed to the UK leaving the EU. Jeremy Corbyn has all his life campaigned for Brexit - before there was even such a word.

Now they say that Scotland leaving the EU would be an economic disaster. Presumably this could be put right by Scotland joining the EU after its own independence. And it can only do that after becoming independent.

But if EU membership will be so good for the new state of Scotland, why isn’t it also good for England, Wales and Northern Ireland? And why is Brexit an economic disaster for Scotland but not for anyone else?

3 Likes

Its the question whether Brexit is an economic prize or a political one. Its surely political. Which does kind of exclude reason.

1 Like

All reason, economic forecasts by people who hold a phd in economics, all facts- say that the EU membership is good for the UK, economical wise, society wise, “hard-power” wise, “soft-power” wise, political wise and even cultural wise.

Still the 2016 referendum ended the way it ended.

Is it because people stopped believing the professionals and started to listen to populist politicians? Or is it because nostalgia and emotions override hard facts and the present truth?

In todays personal behaviour, is it smart to denny what your doctor (scientist in economics, sociology, politics, diplomaty) says about your future health and instead go seek advice with your local plumber (politician, journalist, populist)?

I completely accept the economic evidence. There was never any doubt in my mind that EU membership had helped us to build the fastest growing GDP in the G8 at the referendum date.

But the referendum was not an economic question. If it was, there would have been no referendum. We are into pure political questions. The fun comes from watching politicians contort themselves in denials of this.

1 Like

Very true, thou the politics was very onesided with above 80% of politicians beein pro-EU vs 20% against EU membership.

So how did it end up in a 49-52 in 2016 when it was only politics?

Maybe there were other factors involved?

Lies?
Nostalgia?
Illusions?
Xenophobia?

Im not trying to hint to something. Im only asking a question.

We concluded that economic factors wasnt the reason for brexit.

We suspected that political factors could be the reason for brexit.

But taking into account that a overwhelming majority of the politicians was in the remain campaign, we can not conclude that politics was the driving factor behind the 2016 pro-brexit vote.

Its very possible that our politicians like the EU on economic grounds.

1 Like

Then why do they push for a hard brexit now? Which will devestate any economic ties to the EU.

For political reasons. If its not economic it can only be political.

The Conservatives are facing a General Election defeat by a huge margin if they fail to abide by the referendum result and fail to deliver it pretty soon. The rejection of the Conservative government might have an impact that persists for years. They could be out of power for decades.

Its hard to see anyone in Labour except maybe the MP’s in the Marxist core being in favour of a hard Brexit.

So basicly it boils down to “who manages to hold his seat on a ship in stormy waters” instead of “what is the best for our country, society and future”?

Even if the country falls apart into pieces?

Im fine with that insight.

But what is the next step?

“I will be right even if it means selfdestruction!”-?