What am i missing?! (calculating risk)

hey all! im fairly new to trading. I understand everything im learning in concept, and calculating pips is no problem. but when i go to calculate risk (3% of account) i can’t get it right. With jpy and gold i think im risking a lot and instead lose/make a dollar or two. for all other pairs its the opposite: i calculate a $20 loss and its something like $150. what am i missing?
thanks!-Michael

Hi

You do not mention your stop loss which is pivotal in calculating your risk.

Please try the Babypips calculator under the tools menu, if you can’t work it out from there can you please let me know the formula you use.

Thanks Daren

Its a straight-forward sequence but you have to be methodical.

1. determine maximum capital risk
  2. determine entry price
  3. identify stop-loss price
  4. calculate position size so that 2 minus 3 = 1 if buying, or 3 minus 2 = 1 if going short

LIke @Daren_Steven, give the position size calculator a go.

https://www.babypips.com/tools/position-size-calculator

This will tell you want you’re risking PER TRADE. Adjust accordingly based on your risk profile. I asked about how much other traders risk in another thread. No recent replies, but you at least can read through some of the earlier replies dating back to 2015.

Since then, 1-5% risked at whatever interval you see fit. 1% per open trade with a cap, or even daily caps have been mentioned. I think starting out, the lower the better.

I wasn’t clear enough. I know how to do all of this. The issue comes in where I have my pips maximum $ I can risk. So let’s say my risk in pips is 23pips, at a 0.01 lot size, I should be risking $2.30. I have a micro account. Am I wrong in how I calculate it?

Entry - SL = risk in pips
Risk in pips x (cents/dollars per pip)= equals $risk

0.01 is 0.10 per pip
0.1 is $1 per pip
1 Is $10 per pip

Understood, thank you !!

1 Like

A forex trader must try to evaluate the risk potential of each trade. What I personally think that: only return prospective can’t help a trader to understand how much good a trade for you. As a trader you can try to decide the standard deviation and risk-return ratio to understand the actual risk potential.

Managing risk is the great capability when trading , it’s a skill to predict the real faction of this market with certainly , to make sure this ability first of all have to pass a long time in live and demo , otherwise RM successfully will not work.

there is any different between risk and money management ? anyone can explain ?

Risk management means you are never risking more that a curtain percent of your account at one time (2-3% usually). Money management I guess would be re-investment vs taking the profits for yourself…? Haven’t hear much about money management in my training

according to me, its all about same conditions , not there is much different .

can you please explain more about ?

Have you read this in the School of Pipsology?

Many topics in there answer some of these questions you all are asking.