What do you do after you've had a string a losing trades?

I had a couple of big losing trades in the last two weeks. Lost a big chunk (from my view) of my live account. I took the week off and a couple more days after No charts. No trading. No analysis.

I thought that would help and I think it actually did.

Do you do something similar? If not, what do you do to reset, if anything?

1 Like

I used to take a break but recently when I had my losing streak (I think 4 trades?) I just kept going and had more losses LOL. I thought it would never end but eventually I got out of it and had some winning trades that got my account back to where it originally was.

1 Like

I need some smaller winners to get back in the right mindset. Got two today, hopefully more this week.

I check my strategies every week, if strategy strategy touch max drawdown or back test is different from live trading then I replace the strategy to new one. Regards Greg

I trade like i am used to and would have if those loosing streaks didnt happen. Recent example: last week i had 2 losses, 1 winner and 3 more losses. I lost 3 R. This week i made 4.7 R so far. If i would have taken this week off, i would still be in drawdown.

Actually, when I face consistent losses, I take a break from trading until I find another opportunity to gain profit. I focus on available opportunities because once I can make the best use of these opportunities, I can recover from losses. But I used to get emotional initially, now I don’t take any more pain and don’t get emotional.

I think every trader you speak to amateur and professional will give you a complete different answer to this question as everyone has a different trading style.

I think for me I would just revisit my trades and see what went wrong, such as checking that all my signals lined up or did I trade with one indicator telling me ‘no’, was my stop loss in the correct place, etc etc. Once you got all the answers to these questions back test the exact same trade and see if works with a few tweaks.

Also, always remember that (in my option) you should only be risking a maximum of 1% or 2% of your total free margin per trade (or less) to mitigate your losses.