What do you do when you feel like there's no progress in your trading?

Oh really? :slight_smile: Then I guess we could say we’re like “batchmates.” Hahaha. :blush: How has your trading been? Aww. I wish we were able to talk more from the start. :frowning:

Anyway, thank you for this. :)) Before diving in again with my learning, I’m gonna take a quick break from trading (but I won’t leave the forums!!!) Huhu. :open_mouth: I’ll definitely check this out though once I’ve contemplated about how I’ve been doing things so far. :slight_smile:

I will! :blush: :blush: Thank you so much @ClayStar! I hope you don’t mind but I was just wondering how long you usually try each strategy? :thinking: I just wanna have a better idea of how long I should try each strategy before moving on. Thank youuu. :smile:

Thank you so much for your wise words, @midwest. :blush: I’m super duper grateful for your support and patience. :slight_smile: I will! Like what I told Manxx, I’m gonna write these things down and just take a few days to analyze. :open_mouth:

I’ve only been trading for around a year and I already feel super depressed for feeling stuck. :open_mouth: I could just imagine how hard it must be for those who get stuck after trading for years. :sweat: Have you experienced this before?

Awww. :blush: It really means a lot to me that you shared your experience with me. :blush: I can really relate to the experiences you shared and I guess, right now I’m still at the 2nd stage. :sweat_smile: But I’m still super determined to get to the 4th stage and become profitable. Thanks again @Leo_FX_Trader! :smile:

ria, my first into to Forex was Jan 2017, and I took 6 months off from June thru 1 Jan 18. Much screen time and about 75 K trades later. The emotional part must be resolved in order to be consistently profitable.

Most new traders try to hard to get the market to bend, it doesn’t, then the over trade and over leverage.

This why a detailed trading strategy with rules and a log of you trades/statics is essential for growth.

3 Likes

@ria_rose do you use a spreadsheet to record and analyse your trades? If not, and you think it might help you, then I can send you one that might help you in tracking what is working and what is not, as well as your overall progress.

2 Likes

Jan 2017 to Feb 2019 is 26 months, less the six months you took off takes us to 20 months… About 440 trading days.

Are you telling me you place an average of 170 trades per trading day to get you back to the 75K?

:1st_place_medal::joy:

oh @midwest, at least your trying :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love statistics about things, so I have set up spreadsheet for backtesting, I prefer manual backtesting to automated because as a beginner chart time is really important and it gives you important feedback on the fly that an EA won’t. So I write down the ruleset and strictly adhere to it, backtest it on a year or two worth of data, I usually get 100-150 trades per pair with this and I test at least 5 pairs on a give strategy, usually these pairs are a mix like majors, minors, cfds (XauUsd, USOIL) so I can get a feel of all kinds of markets and then I calculate their win ratio, their R:R, and all other goodies that you can get.

Forward testing in a similar way, I have set up separate demo accounts to forward test strategies and check them daily to take possible trades and if I missed a trade etc. and write it down in my spreadsheet. That’s about it.

I believe this kind of thing is easier if you are trading on an intraweek or swing level, otherwise the amount of trades would be so much that it would get really time consuming doing so much testing. but it can still be done.

If you wanna discuss strategies or do backtesting together be sure to message me, maybe we can come up with ideas that can benefit us both. After all, I’m as frustrated as you at this point too :smiley:

2 Likes

@ria_rose

The best things in life are for free, and knockbacks don’t cost a penny / cent

Anyone who says they got this game straight off the bat are either lying or have not made it, it’s really one or the other. Now straighten that tiaria on your head and get back to the charts - strip off all the indicators and just have daily dividers. Mark out your round number levels, London and New York session absolute high and lows and look at the magic that will become clear on the charts. Keep it simple, it’s a simple game after all, we just over complicate everything in life…

3 Likes

Bacon, I don’t like your continuous accusations.
I usually trade twice daily but last night I slept in because you and your partner in hate messages ware me out.
As an FYI I took 105 trades this morning
I am a funded trader and yes I try very much.

I did try something new today so maybe a few extra trades because it was a bit rough, bottom line for the morning is:

2 Likes

Hey buddy,

no hard feelings, I was just doing the maths…

Here you go - it’s now verified

Bacon, your a hoot. Thx.

Yes I have similar experience like you, and then only realized if forex is not easy, first I have a dream to make money from forex trading as main income, but forex remain risky, treat as part-time is safe than relying upon forex only

^This right here. Probably overlooked by most beginner traders. @anon46773462, pure gold. Thanks!

3 Likes

Nice piece of advice.

1 Like

Most of the time after doing my best, I go to a friend who is pretty good in the market. And honestly, it turns out well most of the times.

Awesome. I hope to see you on that forum as well. I also got sidetracked and took a break. The learning process can be mentally taxing. But in the end well worth it I’m sure.

2 Likes

At first I usually try to maintain a trading journal which is helping me to evaluate my performance over specified period, say 1 month. Then when I feel that I am in a stuck situation of no profit, no loss, then I quickly try to find the loopholes by modifying my trading methods and it always works for me.

1 Like

I sometimes stop trading temporarily when I see that I do not succeed. If I start to receive losses, I take a pause. There is also a time of the year when I don’t know how to trade.

1 Like