What do you do when you feel like there's no progress in your trading?

Take a step back and reevaluate. Why is it stagnating? Find that out and work on it.

1 Like

Hi ria_rose!
I have been trading for several years. I can’t say for sure, because there were breaks. Yes, I have several trading systems, and combine them. I know a few indicators very well. Therefore, it is easy for me to survive in the market.

1 Like

I have have some of the same issues!

The truth is that at the beginning when I lost money in the management of my account I was very frustrated, but over the years I tried to control my emotions, as I continued to try different strategies, which have helped me a lot. Just keep in mind that after each failure we can learn better things and not make the same mistakes.

2 Likes

We all have had such moments, it what you do after that really matters not what has happened. I say you did the right thing, controlling your emotions is very vital.

Stop your losses … if you can not win, you should stop your losses by leaving the table.

Thanks for the additional tips guys! :smiley: I was just wondering @robert.miner. What do you mean with “leaving the table”? :thinking:

If you feel like you are not getting anywhere, then this means you need more experience and may be betting to low. To get anywhere you got to have both combination of experience along with bigger bets. If either one is missing, you will feel stuck.

Dont worry, this sort of issues happens to almost everyone. It would be nice if you could go back to demo account and try different strategies and see what fits you the best. Then go back to live account. Treat this as a part of a process in learning Forex

this is actually a very useful thread :slight_smile: im sure many of us have/will feel this way.

1 Like

Awww. :blush: The people who have replied to this thread have really helped me switch my thinking and plans around. And I hope that their words of wisdom could also help as many people going through the same thing as possible. :smiley: :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Some great points here! Nice work.

2 Likes

Yea you need time away from trading to reflect and learn.

I think if you are not getting a progress then you need to get out of the amrket and rework on your strategy. Try to figure out whats wrong you are doing. Try to know the weakness of your strategy and discuss about it with some one experienced in trading. Stay blessed!

1 Like

Excellent comments

Some gold I found in this thread. Thanks for sharing this. I think it’s key to figure this part out, the timing aspect, when can you do your research, when do you have the time for it all, and then being consistent.

I can feel you. It happens with me so many times as if my trading is going nowhere . Sometimes i’m doing so well and the next time, not good at all. However one thing that i have learnt is to not lose patience and never lose hope.

So, if you also feel that there is no progress in your trading you can take a break, go for a walk , try not to think about it for a while and then get back to it and start afresh .
Start from the beginning , do some research,study market trends and analyse the price movements.

If you feel like you’re not progressing in your trading, you’re not alone. I’ve felt like that before and even do to this day at times. When you feel like you are not making progress in the trade, I suggest the following: Check your strategy, Check your emotions, Check your actions If all is well, be patient. It takes time for someone new to trading (this may be months or even years) understand the markets and become profitable

We all feel stuck sometimes don’t we? But yeah if you feel that there is no progress so may be this is the time for you to again review or modify your strategies which you have been using lately. Don’t be short sighted and look the broader view by doing some research,scanning the news and understand the latest market trends.

Start with gratitude.
Look over all that you have learnt, the good trading habits and psychological lessons you’ve learnt.
These can be applied to any system. They form part of a good approach to the market.
The strategy/system can be varied but ultimately if you have a lot of bad habits or psychological issues then no system will save you from you.

Once you’ve covered that, you can see that you have made progress.
Measuring progress in monetary terms is a fools game whilst you’re still learning.
It is the proof in the pudding that you are doing the right things if you’re making money and keeping it with small drawdowns. But the problem in trading is that it’s hard to measure your progress objectively.
How well do you do in trends? Do you keep buying the top in consolidation? Are you moving stops?
Do you take partial profits appropriately? Do you move stop to breakeven instead of a level where the price would invalidate your trade idea? Trailing a stop is fine in a trend but what if you’re doing it in consolidation?
Do you trade because you have a good idea or because you’re at the computer and feel like you need to be doing something? Do your stops reflect the invalidation of your trade idea? Do you take your losses on your chin or on your heart? Do you trade a lot bigger when you’re winning or take more risks?
The list goes on and on. And even if the above questions are correct, possibly they aren’t important but let’s assume they are, does it mean getting them right will make you a winner? Who knows.

Trading is hard, the only sound thing to do is to simplify and master one aspect at a time.
There are way too many dimensions that are not easily measurable to see if you have actually perfected anything. A mentor can help but even in trading a mentor typically has specialized in one area of trading which might not even be your area. They can probably only help with keeping you honest and with psychology. Perhaps also some direction with regards to information or things to pay attention to. The domain is so vast.
Master your system, understand where it works and where it breaks down.
Less is more.
Find specific things to work on, otherwise you’ll always feel like you’re making no progress because there are so many things you can get wrong which will overshadow what you’re doing right.
Your brain is deceptive, it will always put more emphasis on either the fact that you made money and ignore your losses or errors (or areas where you need to work)
Or it will focus purely on your mistakes and cause you to forget the things you’re doing well
This can cause hopelessness!
Be objective and keep track of what you’re doing. Memory is not reliable.